Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-30-2004, 11:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Les
He actually made these comments about a month after the 2000 election was decided, not before. Not particularly good timing if he was trying to influence anyone.
Yikes, Lindsey really needs to get his act together!

Old 03-31-2004, 08:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile

....Like many magazine articles, Rolling Stone interviews are done months in advance of the date shown..... Buckingham's obviously was done before the election.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sodascouts
I don't really see what you're so aghast about. Do you think he's a Republican, and that I'm misrepresenting his views?

No, I don't think he's a Republican. He's obvioulsy too smart.

But you didn't address my question, did you? You're using some pretty warped logic by saying he thought George Bush Sr. was "wrong" because someone theorized that "Wrong" was about George Sr. If you don't see that, I'm probably wasting my time.

Quote:
Yes, certainly no celebrity would ever try to do such a thing. What was I thinking?
I can only hope that thoughtful celebrities with something to say continue to try to influence fans. With the level of apathy we've reached in this country, as the government dismantles our democracy (shut up, Jason! ) piece by piece, it's important that people who are in a position of influencing opinion use that power. John Lennon remains one of my idols because he was the first rock celebrity to really use his fame to influence opinion and actually make an impact (though not always positive).

Be that as it may, your suggestion that Lindsey was using some kind of veiled approach to influence an election was patently absurd. Maybe you were kidding. But if you weren't, you might want to take a step back and reevaluate your opinion on this.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

REPUBLIC

Seriously, I think LB gave his usual go around the bock to get next door style of explanation in that quote. Bless his heart

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 03-31-2004, 11:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
....Like many magazine articles, Rolling Stone interviews are done months in advance of the date shown..... Buckingham's obviously was done before the election.
He discusses the performance the band did at the White House for Clinton's farewell, which was on January 6, 2001 after the election was decided.
Old 03-31-2004, 12:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
But you didn't address my question, did you? You're using some pretty warped logic by saying he thought George Bush Sr. was "wrong" because someone theorized that "Wrong" was about George Sr. If you don't see that, I'm probably wasting my time.
I saw the interview (bought the VHS, actually) and that's the impression I got. Believe me, I wasn't looking for it, but when I saw the look on his face as he gleefully volunteered the information that someone had told him they thought it was Bush, I knew. Turns out I was right (of course! lol). I will grant that it might lose something in the written translation.

But farbeit from me to waste your time! I know lately most of it has been dedicated to certain other posters, and I'd hate to distract you from that.

Last edited by sodascouts; 03-31-2004 at 12:26 PM..
Old 03-31-2004, 01:12 PM

Quote:
I saw the interview (bought the VHS, actually) and that's the impression I got. Believe me, I wasn't looking for it, but when I saw the look on his face as he gleefully volunteered the information that someone had told him they thought it was Bush, I knew. Turns out I was right (of course! lol). I will grant that it might lose something in the written translation.

But farbeit from me to waste your time! I know lately most of it has been dedicated to certain other posters, and I'd hate to distract you from that.
Nancy, if you're trying to say Lindsey wrote "Wrong" about Bush Sr., why not just say it? You seem to be talking around it and drawing odd conclusions based on feeble evidence. To me it seems pretty clear he wrote it about Mick, and to some extent, about himself.
Old 03-31-2004, 01:15 PM

We interrupt our regularly scheduled discussion for this announcement:

Gerald, make room in your IM inbox, will you?
Old 03-31-2004, 02:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Nancy, if you're trying to say Lindsey wrote "Wrong" about Bush Sr., why not just say it? You seem to be talking around it and drawing odd conclusions based on feeble evidence. To me it seems pretty clear he wrote it about Mick, and to some extent, about himself.
Actually, no, I don't believe he wrote it about Bush at all. It's Mick alright - could it be more obvious? Piggy in the Middle? Piggy on the Cover? Yet when asked who it was about, Lindsey is mum about Mick. Instead, he gives the "decide for yourself" speech - then "someone told me he thought it was about George Bush." Why bring George in at all?

It also puzzles me that he was reluctant to say it was about Mick to interviewers when he'd left so many blatant clues - for instance, using Mick's chapter names as slams! lol

I think perhaps you are taking this a bit more seriously than I had initially intended it. I am not saying Lindsey has a political agenda first and foremost on his mind. Remember the original context of my statement was that I believed he was a liberal, and this interview was just one indication I listed of that. I contend that someone sympathetic to Bush (conservative) would have hesistated to mention that another person thought "Wrong" was about him. That's just human nature - you want to associate "your guy" with positives. Can you picture Lidnsey saying, "You know, somebody told me they thought that song was about Clinton! Har har!"

I think my assumption was quite logical, based on the above. You don't. So be it. I don't think it's because I'm lacking in the ability to reason, however, or only seeing what I want to see - far from it!

Old 03-31-2004, 03:24 PM

Lindsey said in Behind the Music that the song is about Mick. That's why I don't think there's any ambivalence.
Old 03-31-2004, 03:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Lindsey said in Behind the Music that the song is about Mick. That's why I don't think there's any ambivalence.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that was the first time he ever said that. He was asked about it mutliple times in 1992 and did not. Of course now there is no ambivalence.

Was it just me, or did Mick seem thrilled to be called a rockcock? Get a clue, Mick. This song was not a tribute to your sexual prowess.

Old 03-31-2004, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that was the first time he ever said that. He was asked about it mutliple times in 1992 and did not. Of course now there is no ambivalence.
I honestly don't know. I always knew the song was about Mick somehow.

Quote:
Was it just me, or did Mick seem thrilled to be called a rockcock? Get a clue, Mick. This song was not a tribute to your sexual prowess.
Yes he did, and it was pretty lame.
Old 03-31-2004, 03:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Perhaps that is why MF (no pun intended) sees the need to get half naked in the last two docs.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 03-31-2004, 03:48 PM

Does anyone have the chords to "Wrong?"
Old 03-31-2004, 04:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I have the wrong chords.