Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-21-2018, 09:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
If you are asking, The City of Hope is (I think) the name of the cancer hospital where Robin and later Chris Nicks got help for their issues.
No - I was quoting the lyrics. I see now it would have been better to use quotation marks than italics for that, though, to avoid confusion.

At any rate, thank you for providing the information, because I'm sure there are probably posters who do not know this.

For anyone who wants to know more, you can visit the website here: CityofHope.org

Old 01-02-2019, 02:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
For all the back and forth in Destiny Rules over who would mix the album, to my ear Lord-Alge ("Destiny Rules") and Needham (everything else) are not particularly distinguishable from one another. "Destiny Rules" is generally mixed like the rest of the songs.

What does everyone else think?

Three other things:

1. This is a great album.
2. Boy did they pick the wrong songs for singles, and the wrong song for the title track.
3. Notwithstanding Lindsey's claim that starting with Mirage they wouldn't let him experiment, he sure does a lot of it here and on Tango.
To me Destiny Rules sounds different than the rest of the album. It's got that distinct Fleetwood Mac sound.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientQueen View Post
Dave Stewart for gods sake, how was that even possible?
Actually Dave is pretty respected as an arranger and producer in the industry.
Old 01-02-2019, 04:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
To me Destiny Rules sounds different than the rest of the album. It's got that distinct Fleetwood Mac sound.
Yes! It's shot through with Fleetwood Mac.

There's a seventies Fleetwood Mac sound (mountain folk music and Byrds harmonies) and there's an eighties Fleetwood Mac sound (androgynous harmonies and adult contemporary [AC] music), and Destiny Rules is one of the few examples I can think of after 1979 of the seventies Fleetwood Mac sound. It's why I love it so much. It's that roots country sound mixed with a little psychedelia and flower-child melodicism (like One Tin Soldier or Teresa Kelly's Johnnie from the Billy Jack soundtrack, or Fleetwood Mac's own World Turning, Over My Head, The Chain, I Don't Want to Know, and That's All for Everyone).

It's the Fleetwood Mac image of the inner-sleeve photo of Rumours—the Fleetwood Mac of cutoffs, wine bottles, suede boots, beards, and greasy facial skin.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 01-03-2019, 07:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post

There's a seventies Fleetwood Mac sound (mountain folk music and Byrds harmonies) and there's an eighties Fleetwood Mac sound (androgynous harmonies and adult contemporary [AC] music), and Destiny Rules is one of the few examples I can think of after 1979 of the seventies Fleetwood Mac sound. It's why I love it so much. It's that roots country sound mixed with a little psychedelia and flower-child melodicism (like One Tin Soldier or Teresa Kelly's Johnnie from the Billy Jack soundtrack, or Fleetwood Mac's own World Turning, Over My Head, The Chain, I Don't Want to Know, and That's All for Everyone).

It's the Fleetwood Mac image of the inner-sleeve photo of Rumours—the Fleetwood Mac of cutoffs, wine bottles, suede boots, beards, and greasy facial skin.
Thank you both for addressing the topic of the thread. I'm curious to get people's thoughts.

What about the instrumental part of "Murrow"? Isn't that in the vein of the classic seventies FM sound?

Last edited by cbBen; 01-03-2019 at 07:38 PM..
Old 01-03-2019, 08:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Listening now, I hear how "Destiny Rules" has much less in the way of bells and whistles than, say, "Running Through The Garden."
Old 01-05-2019, 10:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Thank you both for addressing the topic of the thread. I'm curious to get people's thoughts.

What about the instrumental part of "Murrow"? Isn't that in the vein of the classic seventies FM sound?
Murrow doesn't sound like classic Mac to me at all. It sounds more like a Lindsey solo track.
Old 01-05-2019, 01:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

yep. ISA instrumental part all over again. so much so that when they were recording the Soundstage, Lindsey ended up laughing at himself for going into ISA solo instead of the Murrow solo.

Murrow is a great song, many interesting elements there. it was also that new direction while still firmly FM that Lindsey was trying to take FM in, to get them to still be musically relevant. something that majority of band members kept resisting since Tusk.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-06-2019, 03:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post

Those are some SERIOUSLY imaginative & accurate descriptions David!
Old 01-06-2019, 07:41 AM
Ledgie

Some very interesting and perceptive comments in this thread about SYW. I was always struck by the fact that - apart from being named as an 'additional performer'- Christine is virtually ignored on this release. I expected-perhaps naively- the album to be dedicated to her, but no. Same at the concerts on the SYW tour: not a mention, almost as if she had never existed or contributed to the band. This was borne out later by LB's comments that, basically, she had left, she was gone for good and that was that, her decision etc. etc. This subsequently made me think that, deep down, it must have been a somewhat bitter pill for him to swallow when she returned to the fold in 2014.
Indeed , this has been a feature of this band: once someone has died/left, that's it - gone and -apparently-forgotten .Sad!
That said, I love the album and the sound and production (apart from the fact that it could shed two or three songs)
Old 02-02-2019, 07:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

After revisiting the song "Destiny Rules," I started to think maybe Lindsey should have been less dismissive of Lord-Alge, who I note mixed Out Of The Cradle (odd how that–and whether Lindsey was unhappy with his work–never came up in Destiny Rules). Lindsey's complaint in Destiny Rules that Lord-Alge works fast never seemed convincing to me, because what counts is how good a job he does. Stevie acquiesced to not using him, but even her reasoning made little sense, other than social harmony.

Then I found this interview with Lord-Alge. His persona couldn't be more different from Lindsey's, but he seems to know what he's doing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYElkX6nLvs

Last edited by cbBen; 02-03-2019 at 05:53 PM..
Old 02-02-2019, 11:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientQueen View Post
I wrote down what I know about his reputation. I do believe that he mellowed out to an extend and that he is far happier than he was back then. He was never any good in the publicitiy department and I personally feel that he came off jealous and mean spirited, especially with Stevies HoF introduction pending. That said, the BS that some fans fabricated about him and especially about his wife who has never been anything but supporting and loving is actually disgusting and has me up in arms for decades by now.
I agree. The stuff that some people come out with about Lindsey and or his wife and kids is mind boggling. I saw a comment on social media where someone was up in arms over this theory that Karen instigated some drama or something at Music Cares just to get Lindsey upset. However then they tried to say that the band lied to hide the real truth about what he did in order to protect his image and income etc. Social media is really bad for the attacks on him and his family. I feel bad for his wife as when she did post things on her twitter or Instagram people really attacked with such vile comments.

In my opinion there are some people who have never liked Lindsey for whatever reason and will never admit that he is a major part of why they got so big. SN is the draw for sure but if the music wasn't any good I don't think they would have had the success they did. If they hadn't made Tusk but instead copied the Rumors formula who knows where they would be. If they didn't like him or respect him then they won't do it now. I have accepted that some people will defend Mick and or SN to the death as well as the endless GH tours. I don't get it but that's on them. How many times do you need to hear Gypsy, Rhiannon, Dreams, Landslide, GDW, GYOW,The Chain etc?
Old 02-03-2019, 09:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicks Fan View Post
In my opinion there are some people who have never liked Lindsey for whatever reason and will never admit that he is a major part of why they got so big. SN is the draw for sure but if the music wasn't any good I don't think they would have had the success they did. If they hadn't made Tusk but instead copied the Rumors formula who knows where they would be. If they didn't like him or respect him then they won't do it now. I have accepted that some people will defend Mick and or SN to the death as well as the endless GH tours. I don't get it but that's on them. How many times do you need to hear Gypsy, Rhiannon, Dreams, Landslide, GDW, GYOW,The Chain etc?
SN is what it is today thanks to FM, and FM is what it is today thanks to Lindsey. Without Lindsey, Stevie would have never been a part of FM, and that's what her and her fans despise the most. That's the thorn on their side.

But they made a choice to go on without him. Because she's the boss.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Without Stevie, Lindsey would never have been part of Fleetwood Mac either:

1. No record contract for Lindsey without Stevie (certainly not in time for the FM opening).
2. No "Frozen Love" solo to attract Mick's interest without Stevie.
3. Lindsey likely turns down the offer to join without Stevie's advice to take it.

Last edited by cbBen; 02-03-2019 at 12:10 PM..
Old 02-03-2019, 12:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Without Stevie, Lindsey would never have been part of Fleetwood Mac either:

1. No record contract for Lindsey without Stevie (certainly not in time for the FM opening).
2. No "Frozen Love" solo to attract Mick's interest without Stevie.
3. Lindsey likely turns down the offer to join without Stevie's advice to take it.
nobody denies that though. Lindsey doesn't, and FM / LB fans do not either. Lindsey said he would probably never be writing music if Stevie didn't want him to. he was perfectly happy to just play music. he would have probably end up being a guitarist and singer in some other band if he didn't join FM. maybe he wouldn't have been as successful, or maybe he'd be way more recognized as a guitarist (and maybe producer?), and had a happier life if he did that.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"