User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-26-2007, 05:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Lindsey's Guitar Playing - Live v. Studio

[I don't remember any threads similar to this, but if we have had then sorry!]

Lindsey's guitar styles are very different when he's playing live and in the studio. To me his studio stuff has always seemed very "clean" and his live stuff is "dirty".

I'm talking mostly about his lead guitar approach here. His lead stuff on OOTC sounds very crisp to me, but then you contrast that with solos like GYOW, ISA and Come on stage which are much more of the "tear the guitar apart" attitude.

At the minute I don't have a preference, though I think I would normally sway toward the live stuff. He can throw so much angst or emotion in to those solos that I just love them so much. There's something about the that just completely connects with me (though there's is something about just about all his work that connects with me emotionally which is why he's my favourite artist). Having said that, his live lead guitar style can be very sloppy. He's far from being a technically great guitarist. Not that that even matter because Yngwie Malmsteen is a more technically proficient guitarist than Clapton, but Clapton has the advantage of being able to pack his playing with emotion that people can connect with, making his a better guitarist IMO.

Because of these big (IMO) stylistic differences I was wondering if anyone likes one more than the other or has any comments on either style (because we don't have discussions/arguments about his guitar playing enough ) Anyone even agree with me that the styles are quite different or am I just convincing myself of things that aren't there?

Last edited by Peestie; 07-26-2007 at 05:30 PM..
Old 07-26-2007, 06:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

no. you're right. But I must say, on some GOS-tracks with alot of layered guitars (TOF ShufRiff GOS) there are parts that sound pretty dirty to me. And I like those songs a lot, partially because of the rough-edge guitarwork. Therefore, I hope his next album has alot of dirty leads and rythmguitarparts.

Old 07-27-2007, 10:34 AM
Supporting Ledgie

Wink

I think he's a better player in the studio because he has time to work with the tracks and what not. I like him live too. They are very different animals.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:49 AM
Senior Ledgie

I think his playing is just more passionate live. He is in the moment and feeling the crowd. That's how I see it.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

His style seems to be quite different to me when we're talking about studio versus live guitar playing. I get what you're saying with the "dirty" and "clean" sounds. Adapting his studio production to a live stage would have to be more difficult, so I think that's what gives him the raw feel live. I realize some of that is added live but not to the level of the album itself. I love him in both settings of course, but right now his live stuff is so powerful to me that I'm going to go with that as my choice. I really enjoy the whole "tear the guitar apart" thing because we don't see that on his albums generally speaking. The passion and energy that he brings to his live performances is unreal...that's my favorite part that it is so raw and emotionally exposed. I think that is his gift on stage...being so emotionally exposed with his guitar playing.

Old 07-31-2007, 07:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peestie View Post
[I don't remember any threads similar to this, but if we have had then sorry!]

Lindsey's guitar styles are very different when he's playing live and in the studio. To me his studio stuff has always seemed very "clean" and his live stuff is "dirty".
OK, here's the news.

That probably has something to do with three things.

Firstly his choice of guitars. In the studio most of his electric work is still approached on Stratocasters and Telecasters, at least when the cameras are not there. Live he still uses the Model 1 to "cut through the mix" because he believes Fenders are too thin for live work. Not sure this is a valid excuse. Not in modern times anyway with high output pickups, active electronics and much better cables. In fact he could use a modern Strat and achieve better playability and make his job far easier than using the Turner. But old dogs and new tricks seldom go together. Its not like Clapton, Gilmour or the Stones get lost in the live mix is it?

The second reason he sounds much cleaner on record and in the studio is he has a habit of messing with the speed and pitch of his solos. He will play the solo then crank the speed up and adjust the pitch. This Is The Time solo is the most classic example of this (do you really think he can play that fast?), also most of the Tango stuff was done in this way too. The solo in "Come" on the Say You Will album too is similar in effect and was achieved in the same way. Although I'll go as far as to speculate Lindsey didn't even play this solo on record, which is why its so radically different to the live version. Listen carefully to it. Firstly its speeded up a hell of a lot and secondly, the style and licks are nothing like the way Lindsey plays. My musician friend and I suspect its Neales work you are hearing here.

The third thing is Lindsey sometimes uses a pick in the studio. This will make the attack of the notes louder and brighter than the fingers and nails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peestie View Post
He's far from being a technically great guitarist. Not that that even matter because Yngwie Malmsteen is a more technically proficient guitarist than Clapton, but Clapton has the advantage of being able to pack his playing with emotion that people can connect with, making his a better guitarist IMO.

Because of these big (IMO) stylistic differences I was wondering if anyone likes one more than the other or has any comments on either style (because we don't have discussions/arguments about his guitar playing enough ) Anyone even agree with me that the styles are quite different or am I just convincing myself of things that aren't there?
I agree with the Clapton remark although I'm not going to get started on Eric or Gerald and I will be arguing this thread for the next 40 pages like last time..

I go for emotion in the playing over technical ability any day. One can be learned the other cannot. You cannot teach emotion, you have it or you don't.

Good thread btw, makes a change from the usual reruns.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

True points about not using the strats and teles on the road, but he has picked up that white strat live a few times, even on the soundstage dvd for i am waiting!

What was he using that white strat for on the SYW tour... i don't remember. Tusk?
Old 08-01-2007, 03:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"

'twas for Tusk, although guitar experts will be quick to point out that it was a Japanese copy.

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up
Old 08-01-2007, 04:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I've always wondered... The solo's in silver springs, say you will (the song) & gypsy (I mean the cool part at the end ), are they played on a guitar ? I'm talking about the studio versions, obviously lol.

I'm not sure, but I'm doing what I can Anyone ?
Old 08-01-2007, 10:37 AM
Supporting Ledgie

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey Jr. View Post
I've always wondered... The solo's in silver springs, say you will (the song) & gypsy (I mean the cool part at the end ), are they played on a guitar ? I'm talking about the studio versions, obviously lol.

I'm not sure, but I'm doing what I can Anyone ?
Silver Springs studio I'm pretty sure is a guitar with some weird volume pedal trick. Sounds almost violin-like though.

I think Say You Will is similar to that sound. It's all studio wizardry. Gyspy...the ending to that song is very weird. I've never been able to re-create that sound from the album.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by face of glass View Post
'twas for Tusk, although guitar experts will be quick to point out that it was a Japanese copy.
oh really? i never looked at it very closely. any idea of the brand?

weird that he wouldn't just use a strat, especially since he's mentioned using them.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
True points about not using the strats and teles on the road, but he has picked up that white strat live a few times, even on the soundstage dvd for i am waiting!

What was he using that white strat for on the SYW tour... i don't remember. Tusk?
It was for Tusk yes. He totalled a Model 1 on 29th November 2003 at Earls Court, London, by throwing it about 30 feet! Anyway, I recall he started using it for Tusk for the following nights gig. I think some of my pictures on Lindseys official site show him with the white Strat during Tusk either in London or Manchester.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
Silver Springs studio I'm pretty sure is a guitar with some weird volume pedal trick. Sounds almost violin-like though.
Its done using a Stratocaster with an Ernie Ball volume pedal. If you swell the volume when bnending a string, or even playing it flat, you can get those sounds easily. Mark Knopfler does it a lot. Even Slash did it on "Estranged" but he used the volume control on his Les Paul instead.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
oh really? i never looked at it very closely. any idea of the brand?

weird that he wouldn't just use a strat, especially since he's mentioned using them.
I checked it out from about 2 feet away at a couple of gigs and I was certain it was a Mexican Strat not an American one. The headstock logo had Mexican markings if I recall.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by madformac View Post
Its done using a Stratocaster with an Ernie Ball volume pedal. If you swell the volume when bnending a string, or even playing it flat, you can get those sounds easily. Mark Knopfler does it a lot. Even Slash did it on "Estranged" but he used the volume control on his Les Paul instead.
Knopfler is way underrated I think. And now, that Gypsy sound...