User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-02-2009, 08:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Ok..here's my "Time" opinion.
As a Fleetwood Mac album, I hate it. It's boring. Lack of harmonies and mesmorising guitar and genius bass. Like someone else said, it doesn't sound like a group effort. It sounds like Dave Mason has gone into a studio and record some songs, Bekka and Billy have recorded some songs next door and Christine McVie has recorded some songs in a garden shed somewhere and some bright spark at the record company has gone "LETS PUT ALL THESE ODD TRACKS ON A RECORD AND CALL IT FLEETWOOD MAC!!". The lack of promotion and the tour being BEFORE the album didn't do it any favours either.

As an album in it's own right, away from Fleetwood Mac, it's actually not bad. As a mac fan, I can't stand it. As a fan of good music, I kind of appreciate it. I don't like Dave Masons tracks but I do like Bekka's voice and Christine's songs just needed some studio magic to make them shine a little more - they all felt a little too much like demo's for me. With Behind The Mask, you've got each singer backing up each other singing and the band gelling together as a unit, as we had with the white album, Rumours, Tusk and Mirage. But it just wasn't there on Time. It was 1995, but it felt more like listening to a record from 1965. It was dated and bland. Despite that, I still kind of find it pleasant to listen to, if I ignore that it has "FLEETWOOD MAC" written in big letters on the cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
There wasn't any problem with Time. The problem was with the narrow minded Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham fans who didn't give the new lineup the chance it deserved. Oh, that and the absence of Rick Vito.
I kind of resent this comment slightly. As anyone who has ever spoken to me will know, Stevie is my #1. However, I do like a lot of the pre-BN stuff. I don't like the REALLY early stuff, because I'm not a blues fan. But I quite like the rockier stuff of "Kiln House" onwards, especially as Christine's part in the band got larger and larger and she started writing and singing her own songs. I don't dislike "Time" because it doesn't have Stevie or Lindsey on it, I dislike "Time" because a. it bores me and b. it just doesn't deserve to have the words "Fleetwood" and "Mac" written on the front of it. One comes to expect a certain level of music from such an amazing band, and I don't think "Time" delivered it.

Last edited by TheWILDheart; 11-02-2009 at 08:31 AM..