Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-08-2017, 05:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The Bay Area Reporter by Gregg Shapiro 1/5/2017

http://www.ebar.com/arts/art_article...c&article=1543

Mirage

The fourth of Fleetwood Mac's multi-platinum studio albums, 1982's Mirage (WB), has been reissued in a marvelous expanded deluxe edition, including the original LP on 180 gram vinyl, three CDs and one DVD audio disc. In addition to two massive hit singles, Christine McVie's "Hold Me" and Stevie Nicks' "Gypsy," Mirage found the band returning to the more commercially accessible sound of 1977's Rumours , although traces of 1979's Tusk can be heard in Lindsey Buckingham tunes "Empire State," "Book of Love" and "Can't Go Back." Nicks also shines on "Straight Back" and sweet country emotion of "That's Alright." The second disc features 20 "outtakes & sessions" and includes the Mac's cover of Bob Nolan's "Cool Water," previously available on the second edition of the Revenge of the Killer B's compilation. The third disc was recorded live at the Forum in LA in 1982, and the DVD audio presents Mirage in 5.1 Surround and 24/96 Stereo Audio.
Old 04-24-2019, 06:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've been listening to Hold Me lately and for whatever reason, the song just clicked with me. The remaster was something that definitely needed to happen. It almost makes Mirage sound like a completely different album. I've always loved Hold Me but the remaster gives that song in particular has changed for me. It's as if the song's true greatness was able to really show through even better than it was before.
Old 04-24-2019, 06:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer View Post
I've been listening to Hold Me lately and for whatever reason, the song just clicked with me. The remaster was something that definitely needed to happen. It almost makes Mirage sound like a completely different album. I've always loved Hold Me but the remaster gives that song in particular has changed for me. It's as if the song's true greatness was able to really show through even better than it was before.

I feel that way about the entire Mirage album....the remaster was much needed. I’m so happy to have all 5 sets remastered . I love the alternative tracks as well.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer View Post
I had a turntable with these really fantastic hi fidelity speakers when I first bought Mirage.

When I played that album on this brand new system, it was so crisp and wonderful. And Hold Me in particular had that, "punch you right in the face" snap! right after Christine's piano intro.
Other moments that were beautiful were Only Over You: (guitar outtro and vocal blends), WYWH: (outro piano), Gypsy: (guitar outro). Plus, so many more.
Also, give Mick credit here, the drums sound absolutely fantastic the whole album.

You've inspired me to go listen to it again. Maybe with some bourbon.

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 04-24-2019 at 08:18 PM..
Old 03-25-2022, 08:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I’ve been listening obsessively to the alternate version of Only Over You on the Mirage Deluxe. It’s so good! I prefer it to the album version. The hypnotic backing track sounds like some Todd Rungren tune from SOMETHING/ANYTHING. And the long outro with some choice piano licks—

Tres cool.
Old 03-26-2022, 04:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I’ve been listening obsessively to the alternate version of Only Over You on the Mirage Deluxe. It’s so good! I prefer it to the album version. The hypnotic backing track sounds like some Todd Rungren tune from SOMETHING/ANYTHING. And the long outro with some choice piano licks—

Tres cool.
It is good and I smell what you are cooking. The guitar and beat midway does sound like Todd Rungren. You have very perceptive ears because few could have found that adjective to describe it.

The studio version is drowning in overdubs. I am ok with that because this was the Mac's extreme overdub album and they were all at peak vocal performance. When I first got Mirage, this song was my least favorite. Something about songs where the vocalist starts right away before or with the music turns me off. I never gave the song a fair chance. Over the years I re-discovered it and its such a hypnotic, bouncy, dreamy lovey, dovey, lullaby. I love Lindsey's guitar and Mick's drumming. I love they let them jam in the end but it ends too soon. This song gets beaten up on this board as always someone's least favorite songs. They need to listen again and rediscover it because its one of their best. On another note, the title is very literal. Yes, Chris was out of her mind in her love of Dennis Wilson. That guy was so freaking crazy let alone his drug and alcohol problem. He was roommates with Charles Manson a few years before the murders and was somewhat allegedly involved in that cult. I agree Chris, you were out of your mind.
Old 04-05-2022, 10:58 AM
Senior Ledgie

I want to give a shout out to the alternate version of "Empire State." The original is good enough, but that outtake is a beast! It sounds like it could have come straight from Law and Order. At the behest of the record company at the time, I bet Lindsey was told to reign it in like so many other of his songs during that period. Mirage has his best production imo.
Old 04-05-2022, 11:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanders8323 View Post
I want to give a shout out to the alternate version of "Empire State." The original is good enough, but that outtake is a beast! It sounds like it could have come straight from Law and Order. At the behest of the record company at the time, I bet Lindsey was told to reign it in like so many other of his songs during that period. Mirage has his best production imo.
I agree the alternate version is better. Either version would have been welcome on LAW AND ORDER, which is one of my favorite solo albums by any member of FM. But I’m less ecstatic about being on MIRAGE. Still, it’s presence there gives MIRAGE an added level of quirky/strange—or as Robert Cristagu said “pleasantly weird sh-t” that rounds out the hits.
Old 04-05-2022, 12:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I agree the alternate version is better. Either version would have been welcome on LAW AND ORDER, which is one of my favorite solo albums by any member of FM. But I’m less ecstatic about being on MIRAGE. Still, it’s presence there gives MIRAGE an added level of quirky/strange—or as Robert Cristagu said “pleasantly weird sh-t” that rounds out the hits.
Law and Order is my favorite Lindsey album, for certain.

As far as favorite solo album, it would really be a toss up between all three of their first solo albums.
Old 04-05-2022, 02:39 PM
Senior Ledgie

It would be awesome to have a deluxe re-issue of Law and Order and Go Insane with some outtakes/demo versions. That'll never happen though.
Old 04-05-2022, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanders8323 View Post
It would be awesome to have a deluxe re-issue of Law and Order and Go Insane with some outtakes/demo versions. That'll never happen though.
Never say never. But, God yes. Love those albums and that era
Old 04-05-2022, 09:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Law and Order is my favorite Lindsey album, for certain.

As far as favorite solo album, it would really be a toss up between all three of their first solo albums.
Top three solo albums (for me) are:

OUT OF THE CRADLE
LAW AND ORDER
IN THE MEANTIME

The next three places go to:

BELLA DONNA
GIFT OF SCREWS
CHRISTINE MCVIE
Old 04-05-2022, 10:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
It is good and I smell what you are cooking. The guitar and beat midway does sound like Todd Rungren. You have very perceptive ears because few could have found that adjective to describe it.

The studio version is drowning in overdubs. I am ok with that because this was the Mac's extreme overdub album and they were all at peak vocal performance. When I first got Mirage, this song was my least favorite. Something about songs where the vocalist starts right away before or with the music turns me off. I never gave the song a fair chance. Over the years I re-discovered it and its such a hypnotic, bouncy, dreamy lovey, dovey, lullaby. I love Lindsey's guitar and Mick's drumming. I love they let them jam in the end but it ends too soon. This song gets beaten up on this board as always someone's least favorite songs. They need to listen again and rediscover it because its one of their best. On another note, the title is very literal. Yes, Chris was out of her mind in her love of Dennis Wilson. That guy was so freaking crazy let alone his drug and alcohol problem. He was roommates with Charles Manson a few years before the murders and was somewhat allegedly involved in that cult. I agree Chris, you were out of your mind.
By all accounts, Dennis felt guilty and was horrified by his casual affiliation with Manson. Like Dennis, many who saw themselves on the edges of Hollywood found Manson charismatic, compelling. For me, operating from the benefit of an historical perspective, Manson has always been beyond redemption, a figure more palpable and yet somehow enigmatic than, say, Hitler, whose unreal reality exists for me forever separated by an ocean and the gulf of decades.

But at the time, for Dennis and any number of naïve, disaffected drop outs, Manson represented a different way of knowing and being. What a nightmare! To wake from a charm spell and see an abyss.

Last edited by aleuzzi; 04-05-2022 at 11:00 PM..
Old 04-05-2022, 10:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Top three solo albums (for me) are:

OUT OF THE CRADLE
LAW AND ORDER
IN THE MEANTIME

The next three places go to:

BELLA DONNA
GIFT OF SCREWS
CHRISTINE MCVIE
Law and Order is SO CLOSELY related to Tusk. So f*cking quirky. I worship every note. People look at me like I'm crazy when I'm jamming out to it.

When I was hosting FM pool weekend parties a decade ago, I turned all the Chiffonheads to it, and especially Johnny Stew. They'd never heard it! I had them grunting in unison!

Even though I hate her now, Bella Donna is a work of art. It's right up there with Rumours and Hotel California, in my book. She apparently owes Jimmy Iovine HER SOUL(if she still has one, which is doubtful).
Old 04-05-2022, 11:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Law and Order is SO CLOSELY related to Tusk. So f*cking quirky. I worship every note. People look at me like I'm crazy when I'm jamming out to it.

When I was hosting FM pool weekend parties a decade ago, I turned all the Chiffonheads to it, and especially Johnny Stew. They'd never heard it! I had them grunting in unison!

Even though I hate her now, Bella Donna is a work of art. It's right up there with Rumours and Hotel California, in my book. She apparently owes Jimmy Iovine HER SOUL(if she still has one, which is doubtful).
I actually dig LAW AND ORDER more than LB’s songs on TUSK, like way more. Love it, love it, love it.