Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Peter Green
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-14-2006, 04:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Question Santana's Black Magic Woman

This has probably been asked somewhere before, but is there any record of Peter's reaction to Santana recording his song?

I absolutely love both's many performances and recordings of it up to the present. I am not into organ sounds at all (ruining Vanilla Fudge for me), but Gregg Rollie transcends the instrument creating some real magis (and always has strong but mellow bluesy vocals). Carlos' guitar work always seems inspired on this track, and Neal Schon's when he was with the group.
Old 05-14-2006, 05:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't know that there is, but considering Greenie performed it with Santana at the RnR Hall of Fame induction ceremony, I'd say he didn't have a problem with it.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca
This has probably been asked somewhere before, but is there any record of Peter's reaction to Santana recording his song?
I remember reading something, but I can't recall where or when.

Quote:
I am not into organ sounds at all...
Does that include Christine's fantastic work on "I'm So Afraid"?

What about Gregg Allman? Steve Winwood? Benmont Tench with the Heartbreakers?
Old 05-15-2006, 01:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

What about Gregg Allman? Steve Winwood? Benmont Tench with the Heartbreakers?
Yes. I would like Allman Bros., Traffic and The Heartbreakers just fine minus the organ sounds; substitute something else. For some reason organs sound like old The Three Suns records or something to me almost every time. My Mom played it in her and my Dad's band. I like what Stereolab has done with organ sounds most of the time though. I do like the organ in Dylan's classic 'Like A Rolling Stone' recording though, another rare exception for me, who knows why, it adds where the rest just get in the way.

P.S. I can't remember any organ in I'm So Afraid which means to me it might as well not have been there. I can recall the drums and the guitar licks and if there was organ it might have been a mere echo of those to my ears.

Last edited by becca; 05-15-2006 at 01:38 AM..
Old 05-15-2006, 07:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes. I would like Allman Bros., Traffic and The Heartbreakers just fine minus the organ sounds; substitute something else. For some reason organs sound like old The Three Suns records or something to me almost every time. My Mom played it in her and my Dad's band. I like what Stereolab has done with organ sounds most of the time though. I do like the organ in Dylan's classic 'Like A Rolling Stone' recording though, another rare exception for me, who knows why, it adds where the rest just get in the way.

P.S. I can't remember any organ in I'm So Afraid which means to me it might as well not have been there. I can recall the drums and the guitar licks and if there was organ it might have been a mere echo of those to my ears.
Peter was a fan of Santana...some sources says that the drummer and bass player from Santana played on "The end of the game" sessions, but they're not on the released music. I have several live tapes from the Splinter years where he introduces the song as "now we're gonna play the Santana hit", tongue firmly in cheek i think..
Old 05-15-2006, 09:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

In Celmins' book, Peter is quoted as saying "I didn't especially like Santana's version when I first heard it, but then I've grown used to it. But I've always felt very grateful about Carlos doing a cover because Santana made me so much more well known in America - none of my other records did well over there." The book also mentions how much Peter loves playing the song, and that Santana's verison encouraged him to go back on the road with the Splinter Group in 1995, also noting that the Splinter Group's version was somewhere in between the Fleetwood Mac and Santana versions. And as already noted, Peter choosing to play with Santana at the R&RHOF induction says a lot.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000
"I didn't especially like Santana's version when I first heard it, but then I've grown used to it. But I've always felt very grateful about Carlos doing a cover because Santana made me so much more well known in America - none of my other records did well over there."
That's cool that Peter could check his ego to offer a compliment like that. Then again, he never really had much of one to begin with.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
What's so fantastic about that?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-05-2006, 03:50 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default Another Greeny/Santana version of Black Magic Woman ?

From http://www.mi2n.com/press.php3?press_nb=36997

"On Friday, May 10, 2002 when Blue Storm Music recording artist, Peter Green played San Francisco with his band, The Splinter Group, Carlos Santana took advantage of the opportunity to pay homage to the legendary guitarist. He joined the band on stage at Bimbo’s 365 Club for an emotional 12-minute version of “Black Magic Woman” that sent chills up and down the collective spine of the audience. Afterwards, Carlos told the audience, “When I started to play guitar, there were two musicians who really inspired me—B.B. King and Peter Green.” (B.B King has also been quoted as saying, “Peter Green is the only musician who ever made me sweat.”)

It began more than 30 years ago when a talented young guitarist from San Francisco formed a band known simply by his last name—Santana. One of the biggest bands at the time was Fleetwood Mac, then riding the crest of the Blues wave that swept British bands like The Rolling Stones, The Yardbirds, The Animals and Cream to the top of the charts in America. As Santana started recording their debut album, Carlos Santana heard a track from Fleetwood Mac that was at the time getting serious attention in the rapidly growing “free form” radio format. The song was “Black Magic Woman,” written by Fleetwood Mac’s founder and lead guitarist, Peter Green.

Santana’s version of “Black Magic Woman,” which closely mirrored Fleetwood Mac’s arrangement, and went on to become one of the all-time classic songs on FM radio, from the “free form” days of the ‘60s right on through the Classic Rock formats of today. And while the vast majority of listeners believe Carlos Santana wrote “Black Magic Woman”, Carlos himself has never forgotten who did.
"
Old 08-05-2006, 09:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowk
Santana’s version of “Black Magic Woman,” which closely mirrored Fleetwood Mac’s arrangement, and went on to become one of the all-time classic songs on FM radio
I don't think it "closely mirrored" the Mac's arrangement at all. There are enormous musical differences between the two recordings.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-05-2006, 04:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Just my opinion, but I much prefer Peter's version.