User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-11-2017, 04:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlookdown View Post
It's a low budget commercial and probably web only (not for broadcast -- or for low budget cable runs), so I doubt much money was made at all from the cover. Maybe a few thousand bucks tops.
The publisher probably made more -- but certainly not enough to put any kid through college.
I was visiting my mother after work and I saw this ad air while she was watching Days of Our Lives on NBC today. And it wasn't the local affiliate, it was NBC. So it definitely isn't just airing on cable or on the web.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
This is cringe-worthy.

But here is what most likely happened:

To get a master (composition) and sync (recording) license to use a song in a commercial, you have to obtain permission from both the writer and the publisher of the song.

In this case, Lindsey is the writer, and he clearly turned down the request.
So the company who made the commercial went to the publisher, and permission for use and (ultimately the license) was granted. But since the writer refused to grant permission, the publisher's only option was to offer the composition ONLY. Their only choice was to get an inexpensive cover recorded or pick a different song for the commercial.

Lindsey obviously sold publishing rights to Go Your Own Way, or he was never a publishing owner - or he was a partial owner and therefore only has partial say in granting permission.

Rights to a song is always owned 50% by a publisher and 50% by the writer(s).
(The performer often has little to no say in permissions and rarely makes much in the way of royalties).

It was very common up until very recently for artists to not own the publishing rights to their songs. The trade off was that it gave publisher's more incentive to get the song out there as much as they could in the way of exposure -- radio, TV, film, etc.

For a very long time Fleetwood Mac refused to grant the rights for any use of any song in film, TV or advertising. But some members switched gears in the late 90's and sold publishing rights to some, but not all of their songs.

I work with a lot of music supervisors, so that's why I'm chiming in.

I wouldn't look at this as a lapse in judgement or taste on Lindsey's part. He most likely has no say on what is licensed for the composition only for Go Your Own Way.

It's a low budget commercial and probably web only (not for broadcast -- or for low budget cable runs), so I doubt much money was made at all from the cover. Maybe a few thousand bucks tops.
The publisher probably made more -- but certainly not enough to put any kid through college.

All of this is worked out through PRO's (Publishing Rights Organizations) - like BMI, ASCAP, etc.
Yes I work with music supervisors as well. But didn't Lindsey comment recently about Christine selling her publishing and that is was a big "no no". I'm suprised he did then.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
Yes I work with music supervisors as well. But didn't Lindsey comment recently about Christine selling her publishing and that is was a big "no no". I'm suprised he did then.
She got 34 million WHEN she was wanting to retire from the business. What's wrong with that?

Last edited by HomerMcvie; 07-11-2017 at 11:07 PM..
Old 07-11-2017, 11:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
yes. I do not believe he has no rights. He always owned his stuff under his own publishing co. Now Sounds Music (Like Stevie owned hers under her own publishing company Welsh Witch Music) Some people sell 50% and co-own them with someone who does all the admin/overhead part of things (I believe Stevie's songs are now Welsh Witch/Sony ATV?? or somebody).

He could easily have said you can use the song but you can't use the band recording of it because it'll taint our brand. Or maybe the rest of the band has a say in any use of a FM recording? Dunno. Or if Warner's owns the masters do they get a say? When Landslide was used in a beer commercial was it the band version??? I can see the writer being able to give permission to use the song but not sure they can give permission to use the BAND'S recording of it??

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 07-11-2017 at 11:34 PM..
Old 07-12-2017, 06:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I can see the writer being able to give permission to use the song but not sure they can give permission to use the BAND'S recording of it??
That was the issue with "Silver Springs" for Stevie's TimeSpace, right? She could've recorded a new version of the song for the album, but Mick wouldn't let her put the FM version on it.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
That was the issue with "Silver Springs" for Stevie's TimeSpace, right? She could've recorded a new version of the song for the album, but Mick wouldn't let her put the FM version on it.
So then the question is, how could Stevie allow Landslide to be played in a beer commercial without Mick's permission, but not be allowed to put SS on her album?

It's so confusing.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:57 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
She got 34 million WHEN she was wanting to retire from the business. What's wrong with that?
I'd do it in a heartbeat if my dream was to finally settle down in a mansion in the English countryside.

"The face of a pretty girl x1,000,000" -Isn't It Midnight (The song that got me into Christine McVie)

"The sun is bright, but not too bright to see. When the darkness comes you've got to fly into the light." -Doing What I Can (The song that got me into Lindsey Buckingham)

"I can still hear you saying you would never break the chain" -The Chain (The song that got me into Fleetwood Mac)
Old 07-12-2017, 10:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
So then the question is, how could Stevie allow Landslide to be played in a beer commercial without Mick's permission, but not be allowed to put SS on her album?

It's so confusing.
was it the FM version of Landslide??
Old 07-12-2017, 10:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
was it the FM version of Landslide??
Yes, it was. But maybe the band was fine with it. Mick was only stubborn with SS because he wanted to use it to help sell the boxed set.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm glad there is a thread about this. This ad kept coming on during the news last night. I think the "cover" is fascinating. I actually rather like it.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:52 AM

I don't find it cringey, actually it's a pretty classic advertising choice, the same people who used to constantly hear Go Your Own Way in 1977 now belong to the same age and market target group of those who are likely to suffer from this COPD condition, so it probably seemed a no-brainer.
When I'll be middled-aged to old there will be commercials for prostatitis meds with Adele's music in the background.

Last edited by SisterNightroad; 07-13-2017 at 11:09 AM..
Old 07-13-2017, 09:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Like all it does is repeat "Go Your Own Way" 3 times. The first two times it sounds like women/woman singing. The third time sounds like Lindsey. It's so bizarre I think Lindsey might even be behind it.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Aaaah it's awful What is that
Old 07-13-2017, 11:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I did a little research into Lindsey's publishing/copyright history and it looks like he has either split publishing rights (or sold publishing rights) for most songs post-Buckingham Nicks with a publishing company called Kobalt Music. Looks like they control most of what was published under the Now Sounds Music name.

So as suspected, the composition can be licensed without his permission (although I'm sure the publisher gets him to weigh in) -- but the actual original recordings for all of his songs are owned by him 100%. So if you hear the original version of the recording, it means he gave permission to have it licensed. If you hear a cover, it most likely was out of his hands, but he still gets 50% profit from the deal.

Songs with multiple writers is a different story.
And the publishing rights to the Buckingham Nicks songs seem to be owned by multiple people - sometimes as much as 5 different publishing companies. Hence the no cd release.
It would probably require multiple attorneys and buy-outs; which is certainly doable but would take lots of time, paperwork and $$$.

I think the first time the "no Fleetwood Mac song will ever be in a movie or a commercial" rule was broken was when Stevie agreed to a request to have Landslide appear in an episode of One Tree Hill.
Led Zeppelin also allowed one of their songs to be played in an episode, and both deals were unprecedented for a licensing deal.

I loved that the band was following the example of the Beatles by not allowing any original recordings in TV, Film or advertising; but when it became clear that the record business was dying (or changing); they slowly changed their tune.

Last edited by dontlookdown; 07-13-2017 at 12:01 PM..
Old 07-13-2017, 12:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Songs with multiple writers is a different story.
And the publishing rights to the Buckingham Nicks songs seem to be owned by multiple people - sometimes as much as 5 different publishing companies. Hence the no cd release.
It would probably require multiple attorneys and buy-outs; which is certainly doable but would take lots of time, paperwork and $$$.
I remember Stevie saying they bought the rights to the Buckingham Nicks songs. As in she and Lindsey. I don't know if there are more people involved, but I believe that it's probably the case.

We know Stevie: she just love to talk about "me and Lindsey".
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.