User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-10-2016, 07:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Reaction

My reaction and opinion:
Lindsey had been discussing in several interviews his work as a Producer/arranger on her songs (such as Dreams). I think that has offended her fan base, and maybe Stevie herself. Complaints have surfaced about too many "overdubs" or "over production." Somehow this is getting perceived as "taking credit" for the success of her songs. Stevie clearly has the creative idea (lyrics, melody, etc.), and Lindsey has always fashioned her music into a "song" on FM projects. But Lindsey has never received any song writing credit with Stevie (the two notable exceptions being Frozen Love and The Chain). I get the impression that Stevie wants to prove that she can have successful songs without Lindsey (again, my perception and my opinion).

From Lindsey's perspective, as Richard Dashut acknowledged, Lindsey never received Producer status until later in his FM tenure, even though he was calling the shots. The fallout with Ken Caillat may have come from him attempting to claim more credit than he was due on the musical production on Rumours.

So this appears to be a lot of people "explaining" their role in the success of FM music and legacy, as well as (perhaps) some "revisionist" history. It is truly unfortunate. As Harry Truman once said (paraphrasing), "It's amazing what can be accomplished if no one cares about who gets the credit." Admittedly, I am an LB fan (hence my moniker), but I really enjoy Stevie's songs on which Lindsey has worked (Twisted is an example). It is unfortunate that we may never have that again.
Old 12-10-2016, 08:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
I really think it's naive to think that Stevie can put a stop to the rest of the band, she is only one fifth of the band and I doubt that she alone has the power to force the other four fifths to do anything they don't want to.
However I'm curious, don't you consider The Dance a group effort? It's one of my favourite periods of this band.
I don't think Stevie is necessarily dishonest, unless it's bout being dishonest with herself. In the end she didn't say that the album wouldn't be good, she said that it wouldn't sell, which is different, and actually the more an album is good, the more frustrating it is if it doesn't sell.
I also think that at this point in their lives we as real and true fans should be happy with whatever the band members want to give to us, they already gave us very much and deserve in their older years to do what they want at the time they want.
I have missed these Stevie fans attacking the rest of the band, where has it happened?
Of course she is dishonest. Can you imagine Mick Jagger telling everyone he does not want to do another Stones album because it might not be good. Just imagine the reaction from Keith Richards. Keith would have expletive words. I don't understand this need to give Stevie shelter that no other band member in any other band would get.

No, Stevie does not have the power to stop the band. But the other band members do care and value her input. They want a complete package to go on the road with. They value her artistry and want it part of this album.

Of course we are all happy with whatever the band gives us. But us fans have only dreamed of "what if" these 5 would record another album. We are on the edge of that moment. And sorry, we do have a right to feel frustrated.

Christine gave up performing 20 years ago after the Dance. Who would have dreamed that she is back touring and wants to record music with all 5 members again. This is something THEY WANT to do.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 12-10-2016 at 08:25 AM..
Old 12-10-2016, 08:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24karatstevie View Post
I am also not bitter. Just because Stevie is my favourite member doesn't mean I don't love the other 4. I'm actually really proud of Stevie for going out and doing what makes her happy with this solo tour. While I would love a new album with all 5, I understand Stevie's reluctance. However, if the other 4 want to go ahead and release an album that's fine with me; I would love to hear new music. And while I personally wouldn't attend a show without Stevie there, I have no problem with a small 4 piece tour for those who would like to see it. The only thing I'm not fond of is the outright name calling against Stevie (or any of the members for that matter). My only wish is that the proposed 2018 world tour will be a mix of greatest hits and deep cuts. This formula has certainly worked for the 24 Karat Gold Tour. Hopefully, something will come about in the near future that will make all fans happy.

Just curious- why wouldn't you attend a show with 4 other musicians that you like and enjoy? I would see Lindsey solo, and I would see Christine solo. Why wouldn't you see Lindsey and Christine together? Why would you not see people that you admittedly enjoy.
Old 12-10-2016, 08:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Just curious- why wouldn't you attend a show with 4 other musicians that you like and enjoy? I would see Lindsey solo, and I would see Christine solo. Why wouldn't you see Lindsey and Christine together? Why would you not see people that you admittedly enjoy.
That would be the case with many casual fans. Stevie can get about 9-10k people for her solo concerts. The Mac can get about 14-16k. If the Mac toured without Stevie, sadly there would be a small theater that probably would not be sold out. Even in solo shows neither Christine or Lindsey could sell out a theater at the peak of their career. Its sad but unfortunately its the truth. Stevie is a huge draw and I remember as a kid waiting in line for Fleetwood Mac tickets listening to "fans" say the most horrible things about the rest of the band. "No one comes to see Christine.....Stevie is so beautiful, Chris is so ugly." "I wish Lindsey did not sing so we can hear more Stevie songs." This all coming from people who would camp out to be first in line to get tickets to a Mac show.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 12-10-2016 at 08:22 AM..
Old 12-10-2016, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Of course she is dishonest. Can you imagine Mick Jagger telling everyone he does not want to do another Stones album because it might not be good. Just imagine the reaction from Keith Richards. Keith would have expletive words. I don't understand this need to give Stevie shelter that no other band member in any other band would get.

No, Stevie does not have the power to stop the band. But the other band members do care and value her input. They want a complete package to go on the road with. They value her artistry and want it part of this album.

Of course we are all happy with whatever the band gives us. But us fans have only dreamed of "what if" these 5 would record another album. We are on the edge of that moment. And sorry, we do have a right to feel frustrated.

Hello!!!! Christine gave up performing 20 years ago after the Dance. Who would have dreamed that she is back touring and wants to record music with all 5 members again. This is something THEY WANT to do.
But, again, she said that it wouldn't sell, not that it wouldn't be good. And I didn't enjoy the latest efforts of the Stones, but that's off topic.
Honestly I really don't think anyone is giving anyone shelter, in my opinion she just said something random and suddenly everyone is putting too much thought in those words.
And who said that the band is currently waiting for her or that they want to eventually tour, with or without her? We don't even have any input about their current thoughts or plans.
Nobody said we shouldn't feel frustrated, but the "THEY" doesn't exists unless we are talking about all of them.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That would be the case with many casual fans. Stevie can get about 9-10k people for her solo concerts. The Mac can get about 14-16k. If the Mac toured without Stevie, sadly there would be a small theater that probably would not be sold out. Even in solo shows neither Christine or Lindsey could sell out a theater at the peak of their career. Its sad but unfortunately its the truth. Stevie is a huge draw and I remember as a kid waiting in line for Fleetwood Mac tickets listening to "fans" say the most horrible things about the rest of the band. "No one comes to see Christine.....Stevie is so beautiful, Chris is so ugly." "I wish Lindsey did not sing so we can hear more Stevie songs." This all coming from people who would camp out to be first in line to get tickets to a Mac show.
I have a feeling we might be pleasantly surprised by possible attendances. Lindsey and Chris couldn't each draw big crowds solo as they were never big names in the way Stevie was. However, they won't be playing solo and Fleetwood Mac as a brand carries a lot of weight. Do we really think the majority of people that come to FM shows are big fans that own most of the albums? (and Stevie Nicks albums?)...of course they aren't. The majority of the people that see gigs are casual fans that own a couple of albums at most and in many cases just have a Greatest Hits disc. A lot of people will therefore still come as the Fleetwood Mac moniker is a big draw. Some might question why the 'witchy woman' isnt present but they'd still be pretty happy to hear GYOW, The Chain, Little Lies, Hold Me etc. Additionally it's the goddamned anniversary year. The media interest stemming from that alone is enough to bring in decent numbers. I can see them getting the same numbers as Stevie's shows have been getting.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbfan View Post
Admittedly, I am an LB fan (hence my moniker), but I really enjoy Stevie's songs on which Lindsey has worked (Twisted is an example).
Oh, I always read the L as an I. Assumed Ibfan was some sort of Eastern European name
Old 12-10-2016, 10:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
But, again, she said that it wouldn't sell, not that it wouldn't be good. And I didn't enjoy the latest efforts of the Stones, but that's off topic.
I think she's indirectly suggested it. There was the interview she gave (which to the best of my recollection was quite terse/cold towards Fleetwood Mac and LB in particular) where she said they'd never again be able to capture the magic of the old songs (refering to Gypsy I think). I think she suggested there'd be no point trying because they could never be good together again.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
I have a feeling we might be pleasantly surprised by possible attendances. Lindsey and Chris couldn't each draw big crowds solo as they were never big names in the way Stevie was. However, they won't be playing solo and Fleetwood Mac as a brand carries a lot of weight. Do we really think the majority of people that come to FM shows are big fans that own most of the albums? (and Stevie Nicks albums?)...of course they aren't. The majority of the people that see gigs are casual fans that own a couple of albums at most and in many cases just have a Greatest Hits disc. A lot of people will therefore still come as the Fleetwood Mac moniker is a big draw. Some might question why the 'witchy woman' isnt present but they'd still be pretty happy to hear GYOW, The Chain, Little Lies, Hold Me etc. Additionally it's the goddamned anniversary year. The media interest stemming from that alone is enough to bring in decent numbers. I can see them getting the same numbers as Stevie's shows have been getting.
I second this.
Old 12-10-2016, 11:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
I think I may have mentioned this in a different thread before, I'm not sure. But the main draw of Fleetwood Mac for me is Stevie; however, I also really like Chris's music. I have nothing against Lindsey, I just like Stevie and Chris's music more. I guess I should mention that since I am a newer fan, I have not actually seen Fleetwood Mac live yet. I just saw Stevie for the first time on this tour. I definitely want Stevie to be there for my first time seeing the Mac. I hope this makes sense; I wasn't trying to say anything against the other members.
Old 12-10-2016, 12:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Hmmm, maybe posters like secondhandchain and homer can answer why they say the things they say about Stevie...
Because I don't like her, and think she's a ridiculous person. She's taken on this power trip now, that "I'll show them who's the boss". For the record, I used to like her, but her songwriting talent hits the skids decades ago, and her nasally, four note singing range leaves me flat, and uninspired.

The icing on the cake is that they're getting old, and someone IS going to die. Then, it's going to be too late for one last album. And guess who's fault that is? Old goat breath.

Any more questions?
Old 12-10-2016, 12:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
For what ever reason, Stevie is dragging her feet. But even worse IMHO, she is not honest with her fans. Does anyone really believe the reason she does not want to do the album is because it might not be good? That is an insult to the rest of the band and Christine. So there is a reason why there is a bitterness towards Stevie in this forum. She is preventing a miracle from happening. The Stevie (only) fans have reacted in attacking the rest of the band. I see the band as innocent and just wanting to record an album. As real or true fans we should all want that. I do not see the band touring without Stevie. I think that was a statement to get Stevie's attention to come back to the band. The band is older and they travel in lavish ways in private jets, etc. The band playing small theaters could not travel and support their touring lifestyle. In addition, to practice and tour only to come off the tour and rehearse and tour again is a bit strange. Maybe the band would showcase their new songs while Stevie hides backstage. If the Stevie ONLY fans do not like discussing Fleetwood Mac there are other forums devoted only to Stevie's solo career.
Let's say you're right and Stevie is lying about why she doesn't want to record with FM. Maybe she doesn't want to say to the public "I hate working with Lindsey so much that I can't stand the thought of being trapped in a studio with him for even a week." I think that's the real reason she doesn't want to make a new album with the band, but she doesn't want to be a b!tch about it and say anything mean about him, especially to the fans.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter WHY she doesn't want to make a new record with the band, the fact is she doesn't want to and has made that clear to them. She's not dragging her feet or leading them on. They need to just finish the album themselves.
Old 12-10-2016, 12:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Maybe she doesn't want to say to the public "I hate working with Lindsey so much that I can't stand the thought of being trapped in a studio with him for even a week." .
you do know that's exactly what she is saying to the public. right?

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 12-10-2016, 12:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
They need to just finish the album themselves.
agree with this. as they apparently did!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 12-10-2016, 01:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Let's say you're right and Stevie is lying about why she doesn't want to record with FM. Maybe she doesn't want to say to the public "I hate working with Lindsey so much that I can't stand the thought of being trapped in a studio with him for even a week." I think that's the real reason she doesn't want to make a new album with the band, but she doesn't want to be a b!tch about it and say anything mean about him, especially to the fans.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter WHY she doesn't want to make a new record with the band, the fact is she doesn't want to and has made that clear to them. She's not dragging her feet or leading them on. They need to just finish the album themselves.
All that is probably true. Isn't sad though if you pay her 10 million dollars she will gladly tour with Lindsey for a year and do her hugs and kisses on stage