Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:53 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default More Onion Fleetwood Mac

I didn't see a post for this in scrolling through and searching, though I did see an earlier one about "Man who buys 34th Anniversary Rumors Edition feels stupid when walking past 35th edition display".

http://www.theonion.com/articles/wha...-the-co,34840/

This is us for certain, yeah?
Old 01-12-2014, 02:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Haha. OK so what's Michaels' s/n on The Ledge. We know he's here somewhere!

I have to say, this guy is kind of stuck on one gift idea for no reason I can fathom. The world is full of things that are not Fleetwood Mac albums, and that might be the way to go. I wonder what he got in the end.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's not as funny as some of their pieces, but I love this. Can't believe I missed it. Thanks for posting.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/wha...-the-co,34840/

What Do You Get For The Man Who Already Has The Complete Fleetwood Mac Discography?

Commentary • Opinion • holidays • music • ISSUE 49•50 • Dec 24, 2013
By David Fleischmann

Well, Christmas is almost here, and as usual I’ve put off my holiday shopping until the last minute. It took me a while to figure out what I was going to get for everyone, but I’m just about ready to head over to the mall: I’m thinking a new pair of earrings for my wife, or maybe a bottle of that fancy perfume she likes, and for my kids, there’s always some hot new toy or video game gizmo that they just have to have, but I’m still completely out of ideas for what I’m going to get my brother Michael. I mean, this is someone who already owns the entire Fleetwood Mac discography, so
what else is left to give him?

What the heck do you get for the man who has everything Fleetwood Mac ever recorded, including all 17 of their studio albums?

This happens to me every single year. Michael certainly doesn’t mind treating himself to the finer things in life, so when it comes time to find him a Christmas present, you quickly realize he’s already got everything he needs: Future Games, Tusk, Tango In The Night, everything. We’re talking all the compilations, all the live albums, all the limited-edition releases—he’s had ’em for years. This is the kind of guy who bought Say You Will the same day it came out, along with the deluxe edition bonus disc featuring the live version of “Peacekeeper” and Lindsey Buckingham’s cover of “Love Minus Zero/No Limit.”

How do you shop for someone like that? I mean, throw me a bone here!

The man is simply impossible. You name it, Michael’s already got it. Kiln House? Got it. Heroes Are Hard To Find? Got it. The BBC sessions collection? On both compact disc and vinyl. You can go all the way back to The Pious Bird Of Good Omen—the one with Jeremy Spencer playing slide—and Michael’s got it stacked up in his CD tower alongside every bonus track, outtake, and B-side the band ever committed to tape. He hunted down the reissue of Then Play On just for the new liner notes, for God’s sake!

And this means that when we’re all gathered around the Christmas tree tomorrow, I’m going to be sweating bullets while he unwraps some bootleg from the Mystery To Me tour that he probably already owns.

So, since he refuses to write a wish list, I’m forced to get creative. I don’t know, maybe I could get him a book, like a nice hardcover version of Storms: My Life With Lindsey Buckingham And Fleetwood Mac. Or I could replace his dog-eared copy of Mick Fleetwood’s autobiography. Or maybe the sheet music for “Landslide” so that he can play along on his acoustic.

And the worst part is, he always knows exactly the right gifts to give other people. He’s great at it. Like last year, when he got me that autographed Fleetwood Mac: 1969-1972 LP box set. Granted, I’m much easier to shop for, but still, he kills it every year.

Ugh, why is this so hard? If Michael had just pointed me in the right direction, I’d be able to buy him some Japanese import of one of their Peter Green–era singles, but he just couldn't make it that easy for me, could he? Instead, here I am on Christmas Eve, once again debating whether to just give up, get him a remastered version of Rumours to listen to in the car, and be done with it. Frankly, the holidays are stressful enough as it is without having to deal with this kind of thing.

I wonder if he needs a Stevie Nicks solo album.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:10 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I wonder if he needs a Stevie Nicks solo album.
Wait- can you be that obsessed and not have covered all the solo stuff? Like of every band member ever and yet again on vinyl and cd? Lol.

So funny. I'm kind of jealous honestly. Like this Michael guy should be my new best friend.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Jeremy Spencer's first "solo" album (w/ Mick, John, and Danny)
Bob Weston's first two solo albums
Anything Seven Souls or Head West

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-15-2014, 01:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

But you guys know this is a joke right? The Onion is a parody newspaper.

But I know that in real life there are real Michaels every where.

Also TimeCastASpell you are right. That's what I thought reading it. How could Michael not have a Stevie solo album. Ha ha.

Michele

Last edited by michelej1; 01-15-2014 at 09:56 PM..
Old 01-15-2014, 01:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
Haha. OK so what's Michaels' s/n on The Ledge. We know he's here somewhere!

I have to say, this guy is kind of stuck on one gift idea for no reason I can fathom. The world is full of things that are not Fleetwood Mac albums, and that might be the way to go. I wonder what he got in the end.
It's a satire. Not real.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
But you guys know this is a joke right? The Onion is a parady newspaper.
Yes, Michele. I know what The Onion is.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-15-2014, 09:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Yes, Michele. I know what The Onion is.
That's good for you, Steve. But based on some of the other posts, I wasn't sure about TimeCastASpell or Dex, particularly since Dex may not get The Onion at all since he's not in this country.

Michele
Old 01-16-2014, 08:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh dear, this did make me laugh. What's worse my name is Mike and barely a day goes by when I don't fingerpick Landslide (and NGBA, Big Love and Songbird ). And yeah, I'm one of those 17 studio album Mac fans (and the live ones, the Chicago Jam album and heaven knows how many compilations). I'm not quite a completist though- no 4 disc set of the Chain (yet) and no obscure B-sides, the special edition of SYW and neither of the Live in Bostons. So I'm not quite on the extreme end of the spectrum, although I do wonder sometimes.

Curiously, the only solo albums I really like are Lindsey's... so maybe there's hope for me yet.