User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
You've got to take these lists with a grain of salt - they're generationally slanted, and intended for the under-30 crowd, which is the largest music buying demographic.
I agree.Back in the 1970's and 1980's RS was focused under 30 something which I fall in and they were not or little bit of talking about musicians from my parents s generation which was Benny Goodman ,Jacky Gleason, Lawrence Welk,Tony Bennett and others.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 08-25-2015, 12:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Madonna? She has written precisely seven songs single-handedly in 32 years. It should read: "Madonna and all the other people who have helped her out." The last time she wrote a song by herself was the mid-1980s (Gambler). There are songs on her last three albums written by seven and eight different people. Overrated hack.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:52 PM
Ledgie

Stevie's devotion to her craft and love are so deserving of being on this list. Timeless and ageless.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie has written about seven iconic songs. The rest of her songs are passable-to-very good. That's not bad at all.

Christine is one of rock's sturdiest, cleverest songwriters. She should be on this list.

Last edited by aleuzzi; 08-25-2015 at 09:41 PM..
Old 08-26-2015, 12:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Christine is one of rock's sturdiest, cleverest songwriters. She should be on this list.
If Christine would have had a Barry in her life, I'm sure she
would be on that list.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie is ahead of Tom Petty. Bet he loves that. 😆
Old 08-26-2015, 03:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
Stevie is ahead of Tom Petty. Bet he loves that. ��
I bet it means absolutely nothing to him.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 08-26-2015 at 03:39 AM..
Old 08-26-2015, 03:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Stevie has written about seven iconic songs. The rest of her songs are passable-to-very good. That's not bad at all.

tough to argue with Christine's tunes being "sturdy" but that's not great... probably the ONLY iconic track she wrote was Don't Stop, and that's primarily due to the Clinton revival.. her songs are catchy, "sturdy" and consistently good, but none have gotten into the zeitgeist like Landslide, Rhiannon, Gypsy, Edge.
I haven't seen the list and might consider CM better than many... but there's been little cultural impact from her songs
Old 08-26-2015, 12:00 PM
Ledgie

Stevie has about an albums worth of excellent songs, and another albums worth of pretty good stuff, all before 1982. But I think 53 is a bit high.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnystorms View Post
tough to argue with Christine's tunes being "sturdy" but that's not great... probably the ONLY iconic track she wrote was Don't Stop, and that's primarily due to the Clinton revival.. her songs are catchy, "sturdy" and consistently good, but none have gotten into the zeitgeist like Landslide, Rhiannon, Gypsy, Edge.
I haven't seen the list and might consider CM better than many... but there's been little cultural impact from her songs
I don't entirely disagree. But as songs in themselves, very few of Stevie's tunes would make any impact on the "Zeitgeist" if she weren't singing them. It's her voice and how she sells those songs that make them spark. Anyone else singing Rhiannon, Edge, Stand Back, or Gypsy sounds lame. Only Landslide and some of her country-inflected tunes translate to other singers.

I would argue that Little Lies, Hold Me, and--as you mention--Don't Stop are iconic in a different way, as pop anthems. And Clinton's theme song would not have blown up the way it did if it wasn't already a major song. Oh Daddy is iconic in its own way as much as Rhiannon. Just because there aren't a gazillion women dressed as Christine in the front rows of her concerts or drag queens holding a night of a thousand Christines doesn't mean at least five of her songs aren't deserving of being on the list: they have a strong cultural impact on a lot of people.

There is also the little matter of Songbird being pretty damn iconic.

And a pop tune like Say You Love Me is like a Cole Porter tune, so excellent because of the way it balances wry humor with genuine feeling.

Last edited by aleuzzi; 08-26-2015 at 09:17 PM..
Old 08-26-2015, 04:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Lets give a shout out to Dolly Parton for making it so high on the list. Well-deserved. But what about Loretta Lynn?