User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Stevie Nicks talks 'American Horror Story': 'I was scared to go there'

Stevie Nicks talks about her guest appearance on "American Horror Story"
Lily Rabe, left, plays Misty Day, a backwoods witch who admires Stevie Nicks, right, on "American Horror Story: Coven." (FX)

By Yvonne Villarreal
January 8, 2014,

Dreams are far from unwinding on "American Horror Story: Coven."

An ongoing thread in the third installment of the series has been the unbridled infatuation swamp-dweller Misty Day (Lily Rabe) has for rock heroine Stevie Nicks, whom Day firmly believes is a "White Witch." After repeated listenings to "Rhiannon," the backwoods fangirl won't have to twirl in vain much longer.

The Fleetwood Mac frontwoman guest stars in Wednesday's episode, aptly titled "The Magical Delights of Stevie Nicks." And yes, there will be twirling.

Already accustomed to working with show creators Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuck (she consulted on the Fleetwood Mac tribute episode on their other show, "Glee"), Nicks is taking it one step further by appearing in front of the camera on the horror drama.

Nicks' appearance comes courtesy of Fiona (Jessica Lange), who calls in a favor with the songstress in an effort to out Day as the next in line for the Supremacy.

Show Tracker spoke with the 65-year-old singer to talk about the episode, which she has yet to see. Read on for tales of drama class horrors, her love of set real estate, and who the diaphanous scarf-loving songstress fears.

-------------------

Do you know how many people are eager for Wednesday's episode?

Yvonne. Wait. Wait. Wait. Wait.

OK?

I haven’t seen the episode yet so don’t tell me if you have. Wait, tell me. No, nevermind, don't tell me.

You’re supposed to have the scoop!

I haven’t seen it. [Fleetwood Mac] has a show tomorrow night at 8 o’clock when "American Horror Story" comes on in Phoenix so I won’t see it until we fly back to Phoenix at 2 a.m. I could have gotten an advance link to see it, but I didn’t want to. I want to see it on the night that it goes out to the people.

Are you nervous?

I’m extremely nervous. I want to run away and hide forever.

You know you’re Stevie Nicks, right?

Yvonne, I am not an actress. Since the fourth grade when I was in an incredibly bad play about the Alamo and I played one of the last two surviving girls in the Alamo, I have vowed to stay away. It was so bad that I came home--in the fourth grade!--and said to my mother, “never put me in a drama class again! Ever! Because I suck! I’m a terrible actress, mom!” From that moment on, all I did was sing. I have never had much faith in me as an actress.

In this situation, I wasn’t initially going to be on the show. When [Murphy and Falchuk] were just starting to work on this season, they asked me if they could use my music. I had never seen any of the other two seasons so I didn’t have any idea what I was getting into. But, you know, I definitely feel that I am a part of the “Glee” family because I was there for the “Fleetwood Mac” episode, and I was in contact with them when Cory [Monteith] died. I really felt like my heart was a part of theirs. And so when Ryan was like, “it’s called ‘American Horror Story: Coven,’ and it tells the story of a coven of witches and their problems. One of them is not in the coven, she lives out in the forest. She doesn’t know anybody, she has no family. She likes birds and animals and she thinks she’s weird. She has no friends. She just has an eight-track and a couple of your albums and that’s all she has. You’re like her friend and her mom and her conscious.” That’s what I’ve always ever wanted to be to anybody with my songs. So, yes, I was like, "absolutely, Ryan, you can use my music." And I didn't give it much thought. I was like, “OK, bye-bye, I’m off to Europe.”

What went through your mind when he was telling you about the connection Lily Rabe’s character has with you? When the viewer is first introduced to her in that cabin and “Rhiannon” comes on, I think their was a collective “omg! Yes!” moment among viewers. All you want to do is twirl along.

Right? You can twirl along with us in [Wednesday’s] episode. There will be some of that.
But, yeah, it threw me off a bit, that my music was being worked into the psyche of a fictional character. I trust Ryan as a writer because of “Glee.” I had no doubt that this would end up being something really fantastical and that I would end up loving it even though I had no idea what it really was. And my mind was on my five-week vacation in Europe with some of my friends; then we met up with Fleetwood Mac in Dublin to start the tour. So when the first episode came on--it’s very hard to get a TV show in Europe that’s just coming on. My assistant figured it out and we got it, so I watched the first episode and I was like, “Oh my God, this is totally … weird and twisted and the strangest, oddest thing I have probably ever seen on television.” In his own way, though, Ryan writes about misfits. He and Brad, they write about people that don’t fit in. And I definitely was one of those people. I moved before the eighth grade, before the 10th grade, before the 12th grade--I was like the new kid on the block a lot. And so I totally relate to why he writes about those people, whether it’s witches or just a group of kids at a high school. So I was pretty taken aback by the first episode because that really is the strangest episode of all--Kathy Bates is terrorizing everybody! By the second episode, I was all in. Mind you, I’m seeing it all through the eyes of a fairy tale because that’s how I prefer to see things. By the third episode, it was over for me. I was hooked.

So I come back from the tour and I’m supposed to turn around in a week and go to Australia and John McVie gets cancer, so we have to cancel our tour. Let me just say, he went in, he did his treatment. I did two shows with him and we’re doing a show Wednesday night and that’s our last show. Then he’s going to have a little surgery in two weeks and then he’s going to be fine. He’s going to be fine.

That being said, I had had five weeks off. So I thought, you know what, maybe I should call Ryan and say, “OK, I’ll do a walk-through.” I thought, I’ll walk through in this beautiful black dress and fantastic hair and makeup and maybe a fan and I’ll just walk through and say, “Hello, witches!” and just keep walking.

Well, you're perfectly welcome to make such a cameo in the LAT offices. Had Ryan hinted that he wanted you to guest star when he told you about Misty Day?

He never actually said to me, “Would you like to be on the show?” because he knew I was on my way to do a European tour so why bother. But the thing is, he also knew, because I laughingly said during our initial talk about Misty that “I’m not an actress.” So I called him and was like, “I want to make just a visionary appearance. Like in a moment of a dream. Let me walk through Misty’s mind and out.” So when I got the script the night before filming, it must have been 2 a.m. the night I got it, I read it and I was like, “Do they know I’m not a good actress? Do they not know about my Alamo incident in the fourth grade?” I was pretty terrified. Honestly. I did not sleep well. Yvonne, I was scared to go there. When I went in the next day, I thought, I’m never going to be able to do this.

How does Stevie Nicks prepare for something like this? Are you like, 'Whatever, I'll wing it'? Do you practice lines in front of the mirror?

Heck no! Uh uh. You think I want to look at myself in the mirror at 2 a.m.? I got up at 7 o’clock in the morning so I could drink coffee for three hours like the basket case that I am; I got dressed and I got down there at 10 a.m., which is early for me because I don’t go to sleep until 4. Are you an insomniac, Yvonne?

Anyway, I knew I wouldn’t get to sleep early so there was no sense in worrying about that. That’s what touch-ups are for. So I went in and I did my makeup and I went into that amazing house that they have built. Oh my God, it’s just so beautiful. Anybody would die to live there. Honestly, I hope they don’t ever tear it down. It’s just so gorgeous. It’s real. It’s a real house. It took them six weeks to build it, with a crew that went 24 hours a day. Just a little fun fact. It’s not real on the outside, though. It’s plywood. But on the inside, it’s a big two-story house, and it has stairs, and it has bedrooms upstairs and it has plumbing. Everything you see on TV, it’s all there. You walk into their world when you walk in there. It’s like a dream. You walk into this dream. Once you’re in it, you’re in it. You become part of those girls and those women. I got to know Emma [Roberts], I got to know Gabby [Sidibe], I got know Taissa [Farmiga], I got to know Lily. And I got to know...I mean, I think I got to know Jessica [Lange] a little bit. Um, but I really got to know Fiona [the character played by Lange] because Jessica’s Fiona is so real that you can’t help but forget she’s Jessica Lange. You absolutely accept her as Fiona Goode.

And Fiona is scary.

She is scary, right? Oh my God. And she’s beautiful. She moves like a cat. And she’s always in beautiful black, not the cheap black--it's Chanel, all the good stuff. She’s totally stylish. And, uh, let’s not forget, she’s also crazy.

But wait. Let’s be real. Stevie Nicks would totally take down Fiona.

Stevie Nicks would not even get in Fiona Goode’s way. Because as Fiona so lovely said to the girls, “You have one thing in the whole world to be afraid of, and that’s me.” Fiona has all powers. The reason she is Supreme is because she has all the powers. She can flip the bus. She brought that baby back to life. She can set fire to anything she wants to. That’s pretty badass.And then she has an illness. And just the whole love affair with the Axeman--there’s so many subplots going on.

And you know them so well!

It’s so much fun.

So, do you feel like you made magic on set?

I did. I felt like I had entered into the coolest club ever. Everybody was just so supportive of me because they knew that’s not what I do. Everybody tried to explain to me, you’re never going to get anything on the first take. Even if you do, they’re going to have to film it again 100 more times, And, boy were they right. They get it from every side--hanging from the ceiling, underneath the piano. I just didn't understand.

So it took a while to get used to.

It was long and hard. It was like a 16- or 18-hour day. That, I’m not used to. I'm used to going in, I get makeup at 5 p.m., I go on at 8 p.m., two hours and 45 minutes later, I change, I get on a plane and I fly to the next city and order room service. Gotta have room service. That’s my day.

We’ve seen you on “American Idol” and you consulted on the “Glee” Fleetwood Mac tribute episode, but was it fun to play up this notion of you?

It was really different. I play me all the time. But to actually be me on a show like this, was very interesting and something I never expected.

And to give a wink to all the witchcraft talk people have slung your way.

Yeah, I wouldn’t have done this 30 years ago. In the beginning of my career, the whole idea that some wacky, creepy people were writing, “You’re a witch, you’re a witch!” was so arresting. And there I am like, “No, I’m not! I just wear black because it makes me look thinner you idiots.” I stopped wearing black for like a year. Then I was just like, "OK, just bring it freaks. I’m not going to wear apricot. You think whatever you want because I’m going to wear my beautiful, long black dress. Get out of my face.” I got mad. I went back to black. So when all this came along, I was like, “what, really, am I going to turn this down because of all that past nonsense?" I’m way too old and I’ve been through way too much to give up an opportunity like this. I’m fearless. You have to be fearless in life, Yvonne. I’m not afraid of anything. Don’t you ever be afraid of anything.

And look what's it's done for you. You have an episode named after you-- "The Magical Delights of Stevie Nicks."

I know! Unexpected. This whole thing is so weird. I’m really glad that I was accepted into their group, and I’m hoping that as the years go by, that I might get to do more work with all these people again at some point because it’s been such a joy. I’ve performed thousands of concerts and written thousands of songs. My whole life, since I was 15, has been music. For me to be able to step into another world--a world that terrified me--has been great for me.

And we’ll see you sing in the episode as well. How many songs are we to expect? How much twirling will I be doing in my apartment?

I did get to sing, but I’m not going to tell you because they’ll come and get me. You have to understand--I thought I’d have to be mute until the episode airs. They don’t let you say a word! First of all, they don’t tell you. All you know is what you did. You don't know anything else that’s going on. They don’t want you to know because they know if one person spills a secret, then it’s all out.

So you're basically saying I'll definitely be hearing "Rhiannon"?

Maybe. Maybe not... Maybe.

But when it’s all said and done, let’s please talk again to see if the Alamo incident is behind me. After this moment passes, I have a couple of months off and I think I’m going to work on my "Rhiannon" movie. You have to stay busy while you can.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...#axzz2prPt4MJ6

I love this interview. Stevie's so relaxed and so funny " I haven’t seen the episode yet so don’t tell me if you have. Wait, tell me. No, nevermind, don't tell me" . It's priceless. Stevie says she has a couple of month's off so I guess they really are doing something this summer like Lindsey said they were.

Last edited by Deeshere; 01-08-2014 at 08:59 PM..
Old 01-08-2014, 09:03 PM
Senior Ledgie

Thanks for sharing. This is my favorite interview from today. You can feel her excitement!! I bet she will be on fire for the concert tonight!
Old 01-08-2014, 09:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation

Something I just thought of is that I guess there's no new CD in the works (unless Stevie' s been to to stay quiet about it)
Old 01-08-2014, 10:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Ok, just bring it freaks.
That's pretty funny.

Michele
Old 01-08-2014, 10:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Vulture.com

http://www.vulture.com/2014/01/stevi...interview.html

Stevie Nicks Talks Twirling, Shawls, and Playing American Horror Story’s White Witch
By Denise Martin

In advance of tonight’s Stevie Nicks party on American Horror Story — accurately titled “The Magical Delights of Stevie Nicks” — Vulture was granted a quick chat with the fairy godmother of rock-wedding officiator to talk about her acting debut. You already know she sings two songs; the obvious one is spoiled below. Selfishly, though, we wanted to hear about twirling dos and don’ts and the history of her shawl obsession first. There are other places on the Internet to go if you really want to ruin the how and why of Nicks's involvement with the coven — suffice it to say, she and Fiona are thick as thieves. Because of course they are!

What’s the secret to doing a good twirl?
Taking lots of ballet lessons.

Really?
Really. Yeah, that’s where you learn how to twirl! When I’m playing “Rhiannon,” I do this thing at the end when the music’s going duh-duh-duh-duh-duh … to me it’s like the horses are running through the forest and the goddesses and gods are all there. It’s a really dramatic part, and when I perform “Rhiannon” myself onstage, I always twirl to it and I love it.

I don’t know if Lily Rabe, who plays Stevie Nicks devotee Misty Day, did ballet. But she seems to twirl well.
I had to watch my fingers when we were filming because I don’t play it all the time [Nicks plays the piano while singing to “Rhiannon” in the episode], and so at first I wasn’t even thinking about this poor girl twirling herself into the universe. Lily gets an Academy Award for that. You can twirl for so long and then you just drop dead. But she did it. She almost passed out at the end of every take because no one is used to twirling that much [laughs]. I thought she did great. I didn’t have to teach her how to twirl, but she had to summon up the strength to be able to twirl for a minute and a half, and get faster and faster and faster and faster and not look dorky. When you twirl, you want to look beautiful, you know? You want to have your hands up, and you definitely want to spot or you will get dizzy. I was like, “Bravo, Lily!”

She’s really been working the shawls, too. When did you first start using them?
Well, first of all, when I used to be 105 pounds and five-foot-one-and-a-half-inches, I could be pretty much dressed in floor-length shawls at all times. They’re a way to make big movements look huge. You have to be a showgirl when you’re up there on that stage, and if you stretch out your hand, you have to really stretch it out, and be seen from the back of the place. Shawls enhance that. They allow you to be a bigger person than you are. I just thought they were fun in the beginning.

I remember really getting into them after someone brought me one from Colombia or Peru or somewhere and it was sort of like what I wear but made out of a more wooly material. I loved the way it looked, and when I got it, I thought, Boy, if I ever make it in this business, I’m going to re-create this shawl in silk chiffon. And that’s what I did. I said to my designer, “I want you to make square ponchos.” I also had ones that didn’t have a hole in the middle, that were just solid, and when you twirl in those it’s really magnificent. It just became a part of what I did. Then I had this other designer who was able to find the fabric from all over the world, and every time I’d go out, she’d make a new one. I have a vault of these shawls that never fall apart because they’re made out of the silk chiffon that they make sails out of. They never disintegrate so long as you keep them in an air-controlled place.

Did you bring your own shawls to wear in the episode?
I took a couple with me, yes. I was going to give Lily one, a red one, to wear as Misty, but we couldn’t swap it out. It would have screwed up the continuity of what she’d been wearing in other scenes. I’m like, “But, but, but, I brought ... ” The one I wear is mine. I gotta tell you, it was so cool to be in that house with them. It’s so beautiful. More ornate than my house, but similar.

Similar how?
It has the same white fireplaces, the oval fireplaces, the same kitchen, a very similar living room. When I walked in I was like, “Did you guys see my house? Am I in your dreams?”

Possibly in Ryan Murphy’s dreams! He said you were hesitant to appear on the show at first, not because you’d never acted, but because of crazy Wiccans assaulting you.

In 1977 probably, because I wore black — and why did I wear black? because it’s the thinnest color — I started getting some really stupid wacky mail from witchy weirdos. I didn’t like it. I’d only been famous for two years, and it scared me. So I had some colored outfits made. I wore red and green and salmon for a year, and then I said, Well, this is not going to work for me, so I’m going back to black, and I did.

What happened was when Ryan asked for my music, I said yes. I’d been watching the episodes diligently, and later I called Ryan and said, “I would love to just do a walk-through where I’m in a long black dress and I look amazing and a fan is blowing my hair and I could just be really tall. I could just walk through and say [pitches her voice higher], “Good morning, witches! Good-bye, witches!” And then I’m gone. I could be like a vision: She comes, she’s gone. Deal. Well, when I got to New Orleans very, very late in the day, we got the script and my assistant read it out loud to me and I’m pretty horrified, honestly. I’m going, “This isn’t just a walk-through.” I’m terrified. I didn’t sleep very well. I’m thinking, Oh my God. Do they know I’m not an actress? Have I not told them that already? But when I got to set, everyone of course was just open arms and so loving and like, “You can do it! Don’t worry about it. If you don’t get it, we’ll do it again. Nobody gets it on the first time.” That gave me a safety net. I tried to let all that fear go and think to myself, This is probably the funnest thing you’ll ever do. Also, this is taking my music to a generation of kids from 15 to 40 that have never really probably been associated with it.

You’ve had problems in the past with people thinking you’re a real witch, and on the show you’re referred to as “The White Witch.” Did that bug you at all, or are you over it?

I looked at it differently. I looked at it as my being Misty's only hope. I was her friend. Like all of us do when we’re upset, I go and put on my favorite treadmill song and I rock out in my bathroom. Twenty minutes later, I feel like a new person. That’s how I looked at it: I was there for her, and for goodness’ sake, she lives in a swamp with alligators! She has no friends, no parents. She knows she’s crazy because she’s got witchy powers, but she doesn’t know what that is, or why. I was her blanket, and I love that relationship. I hope that’s what everyone feels about my music. That’s why I write it. Misty is just a personification of the person who I write for, and that doesn’t have anything to do with her being a witch. It has everything to do with her being a human being like all the rest of us who have hard times and music gets us all through it.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Stevie Nicks Us Magazine Interview

Exclusive: Stevie Nicks Talks Filming American Horror Story: Coven, Katy Perry and John Mayer, Dating Don Henley and More!

January 8, 2014

By Ian Drew and Justin Ravitz

Stand back, because Stevie Nicks has a whole lot to tell Us Weekly! Just before her much-anticipated episode of American Horror Story: Coven airs on FX Wednesday, Jan. 8, the legendary "Gypsy" singer, 65, spoke with Us' Entertainment Director Ian Drew for an extended chit-chat about her acting debut, her lifelong connection with witches, a bumpy, hilarious jet flight with Kathy Bates, why she hopes her friends Katy Perry and John Mayer make it as a couple -- and Nicks' own talked-about romantic history, including a lesser-known relationship with The Eagle's Don Henley. Read the full interview with Nicks now!

Us: Were you a fan of AHS before? How'd you get involved?

Stevie Nicks: I had heard of AHS, because I had a lot of really young friends, but I didn't know what it was about. I was contacted by creator Ryan Murphy. He said, 'This season is called Coven, and there's one of the witches [Misty, played by Lily Rabe] who lives in the swamp and she has no family, no friends, no nothing, but she has an eight-track and a couple of your albums, and you're like her only friend. We would like to know if we can use your music for this.' And I said, 'That's perfect! Because that's exactly how I like to affect people. I want people to put my songs on because they are unhappy and need a boost to dance around their apartment a little and feel good. That's why I write. Of course you can use my music. Take it!'

Us: What'd you think once you watched a few episodes?

SN: I was like, 'Oh my God! I had no idea.' Everybody in it is frightening. Especially Kathy Bates. I never want to run into her ever. And, geez, I hope I made the right decision on this. Because I've never even seen a horror movie. Never, in my life. I was a little freaked out. By the time we got to the end of episode two, I said, 'I'm in.' I totally get it. I'm seeing this as a fairy tale. These witches are misfits, the Glee kids are misfits. I totally understand this and the relationship between my music and Misty.

Us: So how did you end up actually shooting a cameo role?

SN: I had five weeks off. So I said, 'You know what? I wanna be on the show. I just want to walk through the house in a long black dress and look stunningly beautiful and say, 'Witches! I'm here!' and goodbye, and then walk down a long hall and out a back door.' When I arrived in New Orleans to film, the script was waiting for us, and my assistant read it to me and I'm like, 'They do know that I'm not an actress, right?' I was really nervous. But you walk into their world –- they built that house in the middle of a big soundstage, but they had an architect who spent six weeks, 24 hours a day building that house. It is a real house with bedrooms and plumbing and a kitchen. It all works!

Us: Tell Us about the filming process.

SN: I was there for two days. These people work a lot harder than me. They work 16-hour days. They work until they're done. I got there at 10 and we didn't leave until late, and they asked me to stay another day. Very magical experience; I got to really watch Jessica Lange work. I've never gotten to watch a really great actress be a great actress. They had to film me from every side. I said, 'Are you insane? I've never done this!' I got to meet everybody, too. Emma Roberts, Lily Rabe, Jessica. I didn't get to meet Angela Bassett -- she's so amazing! -- but I will, I'm sure. And I didn't get to meet Kathy Bates, because I didn't do a scene with her. But then the second day she came down to watch and we were leaving, so we took Kathy Bates and her sister on our little 7-person plane back. We seriously got to know Kathy Bates, because we had a long, very turbulent trip back. She is one funny woman! We were bumping around in the sky thinking we were never gonna make it. So it was quite a trip. When I'm very old, I will remember this until the day I die. I had a blast doing it!

Us: Any more acting for you in the future?

SN: I don't know of anything that will ever come along that will be this cool. I'm not an actress. This was a perfect fit for me. I'd have to be super interested in it, like I was in this. I'm totally into fairytales. I'm into the supernatural. I'm not as much into normal. If someone wanted me to be the mom or grandmother next door, I don't know that I'd want to do that.

Us: What about the long-rumored-about biopic of your life?

SN: That's not going to happen, because I don't want it to happen. I don't want a movie about me until I'm very, very old -- when I'm very, very old, everybody that wants to play me will be middle-aged. It's up to me to decide. It's the same thing with a book: Everybody wants me to write a book. I'm not. Because I wouldn't write a book unless I could really tell the truth, and say all the people are in it are represented right. Did I go out with Don Henley? Yes, but I won't change his name to Bob. If Don is in it, Don is going to be Don. If I'm gonna talk about all the people in my life, I need to be old enough and so do they that nobody's gonna care. Don's wife is not gonna care, and Lindsay Buckingham's wife is not gonna care, and all the men that I went out with in my life, their wives are not gonna care. I want to tell the real story of what happened with all these people, and why they didn't work out, and why I'm not married to one of them. I want to be truthful. I would never write a book about the bad parts. I would gently touch on them. I would mostly revel in the fantastic parts, of which there were so many.

Us: You dedicated "Landslide" to Katy Perry and John Mayer during a recent Fleetwood Mac concert in Las Vegas. How did you become friends with them?

SN: I like Katy's songs and her energy. I dance to them and I treadmill to them. Anybody who makes my treadmill list is my friend because they are helping me to keep my weight exactly where I want it to be. When I listen to that music I get very involved with it. I think Katy's really fun, funny and quirky. I met her in London months ago. We sat down at 11:30 at night. We sat in the coffee shop for three hours. We ran the gamut of her life, my life and everything. I just really like her. And I have been friends with John Mayer for a long time. I think John Mayer is one of the finest songwriters ever. He is right up there with James Taylor, Don Henley and those people. I really love him and respect him for those beautiful songs. So I just saw them on December 30 in Vegas, and that's where I dedicated "Landslide" to them. They seem to be a really great couple, and they seem to really care about each other. I am just hoping for the best for them. It would be great if that relationship really worked out and they were together forever. I think they're really good for each other. They're very different people, and that's the best way to go out with somebody. I always love to dedicate "Landslide" to people I know really get it and appreciate it. Because it doesn't go out to anybody.

Us: Your Fleetwood Mac bandmate John McVie was recently diagnosed with cancer. How is he doing?

SN: He's good. He's got his treatment, and now he did a show on the 30th and 31st, another tomorrow night, then he has surgery next week. He's good. He's gonna be fine. I'm not the least bit worried about John. He's very, very strong and a man of very few words. He's not a person to mess with.

http://www.usmagazine.com/entertainm...nd-more-201481
Old 01-09-2014, 04:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I forgot we are posting all Coven interviews to the same thread. Can the moderators move this interview to the Coven thread? Thank You
Old 01-10-2014, 09:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeshere View Post
Yeah, I wouldn’t have done this 30 years ago. In the beginning of my career, the whole idea that some wacky, creepy people were writing, “You’re a witch, you’re a witch!” was so arresting. And there I am like, “No, I’m not! I just wear black because it makes me look thinner you idiots.” I stopped wearing black for like a year. Then I was just like, "OK, just bring it freaks. I’m not going to wear apricot. You think whatever you want because I’m going to wear my beautiful, long black dress. Get out of my face.” I got mad. I went back to black. So when all this came along, I was like, “what, really, am I going to turn this down because of all that past nonsense?" I’m way too old and I’ve been through way too much to give up an opportunity like this. [B]I’m fearless. You have to be fearless in life, Yvonne. I’m not afraid of anything. Don’t you ever be afraid of anything.
I read another article somewhere that quoted this passage from the L.A. Times. They had to explain that Stevie was talking to a reporter named Yvonne, then added that "You have to be fearless in life, Yvonne" is an absolutely fabulous thing to say even if you aren't talking to a Yvonne. I think we should start using it here all the time. After 10 years, we can let "You wouldn't say that to Bob Dylan" go.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
I read another article somewhere that quoted this passage from the L.A. Times. They had to explain that Stevie was talking to a reporter named Yvonne, then added that "You have to be fearless in life, Yvonne" is an absolutely fabulous thing to say even if you aren't talking to a Yvonne. I think we should start using it here all the time. After 10 years, we can let "You wouldn't say that to Bob Dylan" go.
I'm down.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post

I read a number of AHS reviews online and more than one of them said that "You have to be fearless in life, Yvonne" is THE new phrase.

Such a typical Stevieism. There are many. My friends and I use tons of Stevie's ridiculous phrases in everyday communication. This one is a classic. It is timeless drag queen talk.

All animals are equal. But some animals are more equal than others.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
I read a number of AHS reviews online and more than one of them said that "You have to be fearless in life, Yvonne" is THE new phrase.

Such a typical Stevieism. There are many. My friends and I use tons of Stevie's ridiculous phrases in everyday communication. This one is a classic. It is timeless drag queen talk.
The phrase is cliché. It's not as interesting as half of the things Stevie says. Michele
Old 01-11-2014, 03:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking

Oh goodness, she is too adorable!
Old 01-11-2014, 08:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
The phrase is cliché. It's not as interesting as half of the things Stevie says. Michele
It's solely the Yvonne tacked onto the end that makes it great.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
It's solely the Yvonne tacked onto the end that makes it great.
Yes, I can see that, like "Goodnight Mrs. Calabash wherever you are." It means nothing without the Calabash.

Michele
Old 01-11-2014, 10:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Yes, I can see that, like "Goodnight Mrs. Calabash wherever you are." It means nothing without the Calabash.
+10 for the Jimmy Durante/Mrs. Calabash reference! Very cool.