The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-01-2011, 11:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

From a Hollywood Reporter article discussing Chris March on Mad Fashionhttp://www.hollywoodreporter.com/rev...-review-242766

And in a hilarious aside squeezed in during a commercial break, March pulls out a blue Sharpie for a solemn moment. “I’ve been fascinated with Stevie Nicks for a long, long time,” he explains with his staff assembled behind him. “I’ve written ‘Stevie Nicks’ inside everything I’ve made for the past 20 years. It blesses everything we make.”

In other words, if you’re looking for fashion’s quirky flipside of Project Runway’s “go, go, go” cutthroat ambition, Mad Fashion is your show.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think Mama is being a little disingenuous about not showing skin... there are PLENTY of pics (especially in the Danskin leotard days) where her girls were front and center and pretty visible, as well as her entire back....

clearly, showing skin didn't define her look the way it does girls out there today, but it certainly contributed.....
Old 10-03-2011, 08:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I think Mama is being a little disingenuous about not showing skin... there are PLENTY of pics (especially in the Danskin leotard days) where her girls were front and center and pretty visible, as well as her entire back....

clearly, showing skin didn't define her look the way it does girls out there today, but it certainly contributed.....
I agree...Stevie showed a lot more skin, legs and boobs than she cares to admit to, especially during the Bella Donna/Wild Heart years: the leotards got lower and the skirts got higher! She started to cover up more starting with RAL..I suspect due to her weight gain.

I remember it all...you just had to fall...
Old 10-03-2011, 09:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes, but she never really showed a lot of leg, or a lot of stomach. She really just looked like she was going to dance class, only with more on bottom than normal.

Nowadays people where essentially bedazzled bras and underwear on stage.

I think the main thing is that it didn't seem like she was trying to be overtly sexual or skimpy in her stagewear. That's the difference.

Last edited by WildHearted; 10-03-2011 at 09:18 AM..
Old 10-04-2011, 12:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheart View Post
I agree...Stevie showed a lot more skin, legs and boobs than she cares to admit to, especially during the Bella Donna/Wild Heart years: the leotards got lower and the skirts got higher! She started to cover up more starting with RAL..I suspect due to her weight gain.
And although she wasn't feeling too well during Rock A Little era, that is probably my most favorite look from her. All the layers and fab clothes. I miss the days when nothing seemed staged and routine on her and she came out and caught us by surprise with how she performed and looked.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post

I agree. It's perhaps more about where the skin is. Her whole back, the area between under-the-knee and mid-thigh. Cleavage, of a sort. Definitely her belly during the white album era, complete with belly-chain for extra emphasis.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fringed n fab View Post
And although she wasn't feeling too well during Rock A Little era, that is probably my most favorite look from her. All the layers and fab clothes. I miss the days when nothing seemed staged and routine on her and she came out and caught us by surprise with how she performed and looked.
oh me too, without a doubt! She seemed to switch up her look on a nightly basis.

I remember it all...you just had to fall...
Old 04-03-2012, 08:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

KATNISS!

http://www.sheknows.com/beauty-and-s...rdeen-clothing

Our first thought when we read about Katniss' fiery look at the Capitol presentation was of Fleetwood Mac's Stevie Nicks. We're not exactly sure why -- the "Gypsy" singer's style doesn't exactly scream post-Apocalyptic society. However, Nicks' penchant for flowy, sheer dresses with lots of color and serious attitude mirror Katniss' fire much better than the fitted orange dress shown in stills from the film.

Oh, and a gauzy dress would give off more of an illusion of fire since filmmakers (obviously) couldn't use real fire on Jennifer Lawrence in the film. Not that she minded.

"Was everybody disappointed that I wasn't set on fire? God, that was a high, high bar to set. 'Oh, darn it, she didn't set herself on fire,'" she told MTV News. "That's unfair. I don't ever want to have to put myself on fire. Why am I constantly disappointing myself when I'm not putting my life in danger? That's not right."
Old 05-16-2012, 11:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Bethany Cosentino says in Pitchfork:

http://pitchfork.com/news/45619-best...collaboration/

BC: The inspiration for this collection came from growing up in the Valley, teenage girls, the movie Clueless, and Stevie Nicks. One of my favorite things as a teenage girl was getting dressed up to go to shows. When we play shows, I see so many cute young girls with really great style. I remember them very specifically and I was thinking of them when I created these pieces, and also thinking back to myself as a teenage girl. I always wore weird ****, like tutus over my jeans.
Stevie Nicks has always been

[/B]“Stevie Nicks has always been my fashion icon, so I wanted to blend her infamous witchy style with the ’90s valley girl theme that I was so entranced by as a young girl,” Cosentino said. “I think this collection is like if Stevie Nicks and Cher from ‘Clueless’ had a baby and they took her to a séance.”
Old 05-17-2012, 08:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^More from Bethany Cosentino, article by Marianne Gallagher

http://www.clashmusic.com/feature/ho...-be-best-coast

Best Coast songs have always been pretty emotional and honest. But on the new album, it seems especially raw. What was influencing you as you wrote these songs?

I was listening to a lot of Fleetwood Mac, and I think that the way that they tell these very personal stories in their songs inspired me – it kind of gave me the courage to just write my own very personal songs for this record.

Personally, you’ve designed a range for Urban Outfitters. What were your visual references for the collaboration? Is it an on-going thing?

It’s not on-going, no. It was just a spring collection. Hopefully I’ll be able to do more clothing design though because I’ve found that I really enjoy it. My main references were like, California in the 80s and 90s.Valley Girls. Things like that. Stevie Nicks was a massive influence on the way it turned out too.

And I thought a lot about the girls who come to Best Coast shows and the way that they dress. I’m always kind of noticing that girls at my shows are dressed very cute, all with their own little sense of style. So I took a lot of inspiration from them and what I thought they’d wear.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Orchid Grey Blog

TUESDAY, JUNE 5, 2012
http://orchidgrey.blogspot.com/2012/...by-stevie.html

Lulu's x Orchid Grey: Inspired By Stevie Nicks

This week's look is inspired by Stevie Nicks. I'm pretty sure that my younger self would be appalled by how much I've come to love Fleetwood Mac and Stevie Nicks, but man, I can't help it. Not only do I find myself listening to either Tusk or Rumors almost every morning on my way to work, but if I ever need inspiration for styling long layers, this is the woman whose style I turn to. Pile on the scarves, shawls, silks, tapestry, and lace, and you'll have your Stevie look. Extra credit if you add a top hat and feathers.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

MTV Style, July 13, 2012
http://style.mtv.com/2012/07/13/stev...ks-style-icon/

Stevie Nicks: Our Mystical Style Spirit Guide

Posted 3 hours ago by Maud Deitch in Divas

All of a sudden, mid day yesterday, a corner of the Internet exploded. News broke that legendary British-American rock band Fleetwood Mac are planning a reunion in 2013, something diehard fans of the Mac had assumed was impossible due to the famed infighting between the band's members. Lead singer/tambourine playing sorceress Stevie Nicks announced the reformation on CBS This Morning, and of course, both super-fans and casual admirers alike went nuts. Nicks, who wrote the band's 1977 Billboard #1 hit "Dreams," is as much a style icon as a musical muse, with everyone from Best Coast's Bethany Cosentino, America's sweetheart Taylor Swift, and Florence + The Machine singer Florence Welch counting themselves as acolytes. Even if you don't know you're familiar with Stevie Nicks, you probably are. You know the opening of Destiny's Child's "Bootylicious," well, it's sampled from Nicks's "Edge of Seventeen," off of her 1981 solo record, Bella Donna. T.Swift calls Nicks a "childhood idol," and Bethany Cosentino has Making Rumors: The Inside Story of the Classic Fleetwood Mac Album on her coffee table. There is also a Fleetwood Mac tribute record being released on August 14th, titled Just Tell Me That You Want Me, which includes takes on the band's tunes by Best Coast, Lykke Li, The Kills and MGMT.

As far as her style goes, Nicks's outfit from a 1978 performance in East Troy, Wisconsin (pictured above), speaks for itself: a pink cape with cascading black feathers pouring from the shoulders of a matching pink, body-hugging, velvet dress. Yes, cape, feathers, and velvet in one look. Case rested. Not to mention Nicks's long blond hair, which grew in volume through the decades (although she now favors a sleek, straight style with long blunt bangs), which, in the performance image, is crowned with a cage-like headpiece.

When Stevie Nicks joined Fleetwood Mac the 1970s were in full swing. She and her then-boyfriend Lindsey Buckingham became part of the band in 1974, and Nicks's aesthetic reflected both her youth, she was 26 years old, and the styles of the times. With her hair iron-straightened and flipped at the ends, Nicks could have been confused with one of Charlie's Angels in her denim bell-bottom hip huggers and bell sleeved top (pictured left). Nicks's now-famous ethereal style was already present, though, with the singer favoring flowing dresses and waterfalls of jewelry both on and off stage. The coltish beauty was about to become one of the most famous singers in the world, and her one of a kind take on the trends of the day was no doubt a factor.

Although her shawls are perhaps considered her signature, it's her black top hat that is arguably Nicks's most iconic look. Paired with a drape-y, sheer black dress that calls to mind a druid ceremony amongst the evergreens (do you see it too?), Nicks makes the English schoolboy staple into a fantastical talisman, but its origins, she told Time Out New York back in 2001, are far simpler than we had ever imagined. "The first time I ever wore [a top hat] was in the forth grade," she tells TONY reporter Gia Kourlas, "I wore a black top hat, a black vest and skirt, a white blouse, black tights and black tap shoes with little heels. That was my 'Rhiannon' outfit, in the fourth grade!" While it's not surprising that Nicks has been a fashion plate since the dawn of time-fourth grade!-really, it's her combination of airy, ethereal dresses and more luxe pieces, such as feathers, lace, and jewelry. Nicks also has a penchant for using animals as accessories, as she did on the cover of Bella Donna, where she poses with a parrot, and she even sold her famous tambourine on Ebay to benefit an pro-animal charity.

Any style story about Madame Nicks would be sorely lacking without at least a few sentences about the songwriter's hair. Always long, her blonde mane went from a 70's flip to an enormous 80's force to be reckoned with just as the decades changed, and, rarely concealed, besides in the case of her hats, it became just as much a part of her aesthetic as her massive sleeves. Curly, bright blonde and undoubtedly full of secrets, Nicks's mane is just the right witches brew of fluffy, curly and be-banged to be thrown around on stage while also framing her puppy-dog eyes and rosebud lips. Paired with a simple, unchanging beauty regimen of lightly applied black liner, mascara and dusky rose lips, the singers hair was at once a statement, while simultaneously remaining the perfect complement to her sartorial style. You might be sensing a theme here, and if you are you're right: everything about Stevie Nicks is BIG. But that's where the nuance comes in. She doesn't need bright colors, look-at-me lengths or outrageous costumes-Nicks wears looks that, paired with her captivating performance style (the woman can do the splits like none other), communicate an energy and a power that illustrates the purest reason that clothes are so essential to music. With her tambourine in hand and her arms spread wide, Nicks transforms into that white winged dove she sings so passionately of on "Edge of Seventeen," and she casts a spell that makes her audience think that with a little chiffon and a few feathers, maybe they could transform too.

What do you think of Stevie Nicks witchy goddess style?
Old 07-13-2012, 10:36 PM
Registered

Default style.mtv.com stevie nicks-style icon

Stevie Nicks: Our Mystical Style Spirit Guide

http://style.mtv.com/2012/07/13/stev...ks-style-icon/
Old 07-13-2012, 10:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thank you.I wish MTV will stop running crap and go back to the old way .

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 07-13-2012, 11:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

that in-studio pic from 1975 is quite revealing....