The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Present Band
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-05-2018, 12:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm curious about All Over Again but no one has posted anything. It's annoying. Such a rare song. So why no love?
Old 10-05-2018, 01:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I'm curious about All Over Again but no one has posted anything. It's annoying. Such a rare song. So why no love?
In spite of the heartache and troubles in love, you'd do it all over again, Tony.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 10-05-2018, 01:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
In spite of the heartache and troubles in love, you'd do it all over again, Tony.
I believe so.
Old 10-05-2018, 01:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
I really like Crowded House. I cant profess to being the biggest fan but I know their work quite well and like a lot of their songs. Neil genuinely seems like a good guy. In fact, I've always thought this since Crowded House were big in the late 80's/early 90's.

I just can't quite work out why he's in the band.
He sings lead vocals on a Crowded House song, a Spilt Enz song and from what I can work out, a couple of Lindsey Buckingham songs. Whats the point in him being there? I was under the impression Mike was recruited as a guitarist and they needed somebody else as a vocalist. I thought this was because they needed somebody to fill the vocals for pre BN material. However, from what I can tell he doesn't sing lead on Tell Me All The Things You Do, Black Magic Woman, Hypnotized or Oh Well.

The Crowded House/Neil Finn material we can generally do without- its only performed because he's there, obviously...and frankly (though I havent yet seen it) him playing Lindsey songs is a bit embarrassing given the circumstances. So, all-in-all he seems to be a glorified back-up singer and support guitarist. Couldn't Neil Heyward be more prominently performing this role?

Overall, I just feel for Neil Finn being in this position. He seems a bit of a spare part.
Neil sings lead on "Hypnotized", "Second Hand News", and several others. He could easily sing lead on a ton of Kirwan or Welch songs if they choose to play them. He also sings the male harmony vocal on many of the songs. And he's a world class songwriter who's still in his prime as far as songwriting goes (he's released two great albums in the last year) so he's likely to be the main songwriter should they record another studio album.

Last edited by Sugar Mouse; 10-05-2018 at 01:51 PM..
Old 10-05-2018, 02:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Mouse View Post
Neil sings lead on "Hypnotized", "Second Hand News", and several others. He could easily sing lead on a ton of Kirwan or Welch songs if they choose to play them. He also sings the male harmony vocal on many of the songs. And he's a world class songwriter who's still in his prime as far as songwriting goes (he's released two great albums in the last year) so he's likely to be the main songwriter should they record another studio album.
There was a brief clip of Hypnotized that I saw somewhere that I thought suited Neil very well. Stevie's backing vocals sounded quite spooky. To be honest, the clip of Tell me all the things you do I saw I was less enamoured with. Christine incorrectly told the audience that Danny was a founder member of the band, which was odd, and didn't appear to refer to his passing which was a little strange. It was such a brave curveball of a choice to go in the set, and I wonder if it will last. It must, in all honesty have left a lot of the crowd cold (or in the loos), but I'm not going to criticise the band for trying it. There would have been other Danny songs that I would have preferred, but some of them, particularly my favourite - Woman of a 1000 years, are such delicate constructions that to try and do them justice would be quite a feat.
Old 10-05-2018, 02:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRqsiq06hKg

"Gold Dust Woman" from Tulsa. It looks like the crackhead dance is gone and I'm not certain how to describe the new ending, but I like it! Always a great concert moment!
It's become one the most overdone, overly long, boring performances of a song. It's a waste of 10 minutes. A lot of people love it. But I'd rather see "I'm So Afraid" instead. That's rock and roll excitement, not this theatrical bull****.
Old 10-05-2018, 02:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Scarrott View Post
There was a brief clip of Hypnotized that I saw somewhere that I thought suited Neil very well. Stevie's backing vocals sounded quite spooky. To be honest, the clip of Tell me all the things you do I saw I was less enamoured with. Christine incorrectly told the audience that Danny was a founder member of the band, which was odd, and didn't appear to refer to his passing which was a little strange. It was such a brave curveball of a choice to go in the set, and I wonder if it will last. It must, in all honesty have left a lot of the crowd cold (or in the loos), but I'm not going to criticise the band for trying it. There would have been other Danny songs that I would have preferred, but some of them, particularly my favourite - Woman of a 1000 years, are such delicate constructions that to try and do them justice would be quite a feat.
"Hypnotized" was a Bob Welch song not a Danny Kirwan song.
Old 10-05-2018, 02:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Rhiannon:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/L8y5hnrDcxQ" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
is it me or is it just weird that the keyboard guy is so prominently up front at front of stage during this song and not Christine?? Where did she go?? Why isn't she on it?? Weird to not have Lindsey or Chris up front with Stevie on this one for a Mac show
Old 10-05-2018, 02:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've sifted through quite a few videos already and have not seen or heard even one of Christine! Am I missing something?!

And I want to hear how Mike sounds on "Oh Well"!

I do like what I've heard of "Hypnotized". The harmonies are spot on and Neil sounds good on lead. He's no Bob Welch, but not bad.
Old 10-05-2018, 02:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali101 View Post
https://www.tulsaworld.com/photovide...c78989089.html

https://www.tulsaworld.com/scene/mus...e8e6f92c6.html

One year and one day after the loss of gone-to-soon Tom Petty, Fleetwood Mac launched a new North American tour and unveiled a new roster at Tulsa’s BOK Center.

The additions, who came aboard following the departure of Lindsey Buckingham, are Mike Campbell, former guitarist of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, and Neil Finn, vocalist for Crowded House and Split Enz.

“I can’t tell you how much it means to us that you are all here tonight to share this with us,” Campbell told a sold-out crowd.

Fleetwood Mac drummer Mick Fleetwood was asked in a pre-concert interview if the set list would include any Crowded House or Petty songs, or whether there might be a tribute to Petty.

“I can attest that there will be,” Fleetwood said.

Fleetwood didn’t want to cite specific songs — why ruin the surprise? — but answers came when the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame band, no stranger to personnel changes, began a new chapter Wednesday night.

The Petty tribute, an emotional highlight of the show, came during the encore. The first song of the encore was Petty’s “Free Fallin’” with vocals provided by Stevie Nicks, a longtime Petty friend. Images of Petty were shown on a screen behind the stage as Fleetwood Mac performed the song. Judging by the number of mobile phones held high, it was the most video-ed moment of the night.

Two songs from Finn’s ouevre were on the set list, including “I Got You” (the highest-charting Split Enz single in the U.S.) and “Don’t Dream It’s Over” (Crowded House’s biggest hit, it went to No. 2 in 1986). Nicks contributed vocal help on both songs.

Immediately before Finn sang “Don’t Dream It’s Over,” Fleetwood said this: “Many years ago I heard this beautiful song and, for me, it opened many doors in my heart, so this all eventually led to this lovely gentleman sharing the stage with us in Fleetwood Mac, so make him really welcome as he sings this most beautiful song.”

The new kids and the Fleetwood Mac vets — Fleetwood, John McVie, Christine McVie and Nicks — played for almost two and a half hours and, perhaps feeling adventuresome in the wake of a lineup change, detoured to some interesting places.

Almost half (11 of 24 songs) of the set was mined from a self-titled 1975 album and the 1977 juggernaut “Rumours.”

But the first hint Fleetwood Mac was going to dig deep came six songs into the show, when Nicks handled vocal chores on “Black Magic Woman.” Written by former member Peter Green, “Black Magic Woman” was recorded by Fleetwood Mac in the twilight of the 1960s. The song became a hit for Santana in 1970.

Also on the set list: “Tell Me All the Things You Do” from the 1970 album “Kiln House,” the Bob Welch-penned “Hypnotized” from the 1973 album “Mystery to Me” and “Oh Well,” which was sang Wednesday night by Campbell and was originally recorded by Fleetwood Mac in 1969. (For context’s sake, consider that Nicks and Buckingham didn’t record with the band until 1975.)

Buckingham and Fleetwood Mac parted company in April. Do you really want a band with so many great songs to call it quits just because a key member is no longer part of the squad? Of course not.

Wanting to forge ahead, Fleetwood Mac took the hydra approach (lose one head; two will take its place) and announced a new tour.

At 8:14 p.m. Wednesday, when the new incarnation of the band took the stage, Fleetwood flashed a smile that was captured on the video screen. He and his band mates opened with “The Chain,” which has history as a show-starter and gave curious audience members a chance to immediately hear Finn at the microphone. The song didn’t match completely the version stuck in your brain from decades of hearing it, but Finn sounded like a natural fit in songs like “Go Your Own Way” and “Second Hand News.”

Introducing himself, Finn said, “My name is Neil and it’s a huge honor to be with you tonight with this magnificent band.”

A New Zealander, Finn also said this: “I would like to do a big shout-out to another fellow countryman who works just down the road, Mr. Steven Adams for the Oklahoma (City) Thunder. (He’s) the toughest guy in the league. I’m not even in the toughest person in Fleetwood Mac. I think that’s Stevie.”

Early in the show, Campbell looked at his new band mates and smiled. Nobody seemed to have more fun that Fleetwood, especially during a drum solo bookend-ed by the start and finish of “World Turning.” He introduced the rest of the band afterward and said it was a joy and privilege to welcome the new members.

Sometimes the whole cheer-for-an-encore thing feels too staged or expected, but the audience reaction (mobile phones illuminated, continuous roaring) suggested the crowd absolutely wanted more Fleetwood Mac, and that’s what they got when the anticipated Petty tribute arrived and was followed by two other songs — “Don’t Stop” and “All Over Again,” a song that Christine McVie said was about change.

A big change happened in the ranks of Fleetwood Mac. But here's the takeaway: The tour launch didn’t feel like you were watching/hearing something less than Fleetwood Mac.
Christine is mentioned in passing twice. That's it. The whole thing is about Stevie and Neil and Mike, with Mick thrown in. John barely gets a mention as well.

Stevie sounded ok on many songs but Free Falling was most definitely NOT one of them.
Old 10-05-2018, 02:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
"Hypnotized" was a Bob Welch song not a Danny Kirwan song.
Yes, I'm more than aware of that and have been for longer than I care to remember. I didn't feel the need to spell it out. My comment about Danny's songs was clearly in relation to Tell me all the things you do. Neil was taking the lead on both songs (unless my memory is at fault here re TMATTYD),so that was the compare and contrast I was trying to explore. Your own post proclaims [Finn] could easily sing lead on a ton of Kirwan or Welch songs if they choose to play them, so I was expanding on that idea.

Last edited by Mr Scarrott; 10-05-2018 at 03:05 PM..
Old 10-05-2018, 02:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh well

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dgnl_NGHzNk" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-05-2018, 02:58 PM
Mr Scarrott
This message has been deleted by Mr Scarrott. Reason: kak125 got there first
Old 10-05-2018, 03:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
I've sifted through quite a few videos already and have not seen or heard even one of Christine! Am I missing something?!

And I want to hear how Mike sounds on "Oh Well"!

I do like what I've heard of "Hypnotized". The harmonies are spot on and Neil sounds good on lead. He's no Bob Welch, but not bad.

You make loving fun
(on Facebook). I'm not sure about the whale in the background...is it an elephant in the room?

https://www.facebook.com/mike.arpin....1138197900492/
Old 10-05-2018, 03:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I'm going to have to take your word for it. I haven't seen or heard it but I'm sure I read somebody somewhere say Stevie sang the lead and Neil sang back up vocals on Hypnotized. But if its Neil then fair enough- thats one more for him.

He could easily sing lead on a ton of Kirwan songs???? Yes, I know. But he doesn't. That's my point. He's just wasted. If they are going to have him- why doesn't he sing more. They are playing TATTYD but I understand Chris is singing that. For the record I'd have gone with Like it This Way or Jewel Eyed Judy. Actually, I'd also have also welcomed the much talked about Station Man.

He's a world class songwriter??? Yes. He is. But he isnt going to write and record anything with this bunch. If they had any inclination to record they could have easily done something ahead of this tour. The fact they haven't even done an EP collection suggests this is a short lived iteration.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood

Last edited by FuzzyPlum; 10-05-2018 at 03:35 PM..
Old 10-05-2018, 03:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hypnotized clip (facebook)

https://www.facebook.com/brian.morri...6432741934876/

Neil does sound good, imo.