Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Peter Green
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:36 PM
Ledgie

Default World Keeps Turning

The track that for me epitomises the phenomenal versatility of PG is World Keeps Turning, the live version where he fills in whilst Danny changes a string. It has everything.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivS5wjwGbn8
Old 07-30-2009, 09:00 AM
Junior Ledgie

Heart Don't look for no worries...

Oh, I don't know how may many times may I watched that video!!!!!!!Love Love that song. Incredible how he can fill the stage only with his guitar, his voice and his soul. One of my favourites...

Doodyhead I also love that version of BTB (Shrine'69)

Surprised no one has claimed the crown for "Love that burns"...
Old 07-30-2009, 10:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default "When the flames of our flesh have stopped burning"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aida View Post
How many versions of this song exist? I know of two, Mr. Wonderful, and Vaudeville Years/JaS The Blues Years. It depends on my mood which version I prefer. Today I side with Mr. Wonderful, love the horns.

The Elmore James overkill of Mr. Wonderful dwarfs the great Peter Green compositions. Not only that, it's brilliantly produced by Mike Vernon. He and the Chess family knew how to record a blues record. I'd wish someone would go back and remix the first two Paul Butterfield Blues Band albums. They sound so thin. Then there's today's blues albums that always sound too clean, clinical, and over-polished. I truly think I'd listen to more modern blues artists if they were recorded as they were in Chicago in the 50's and 60's. Ok, rant over.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default "...and the fire of our love has cooled down"....

I say....heavy imagery, what? - it's almost Shakespearian....

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
How many versions of this song exist? I know of two, Mr. Wonderful, and Vaudeville Years/JaS The Blues Years. It depends on my mood which version I prefer. Today I side with Mr. Wonderful, love the horns.
I prefer the Mr. Wonderful version. It´s slower, and has Christine Perfect's tingling piano all the way through like a silver thread- and the horns, of course.

On Youtube there is this clip with Otis Rush - Double Trouble - with a similar horn arrangement. There used to be a better version of this film but this is all I can find now...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQpgWxSZylc

Ms Moose
Old 07-31-2009, 04:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart .."worries and troubles come around"...

Quote:
Oh, I don't know how may many times may I watched that video!!!!!!!Love Love that song. Incredible how he can fill the stage only with his guitar, his voice and his soul. One of my favourites...

Doodyhead I also love that version of BTB (Shrine'69)

YES it's a fantastic video and performance,aida. Sadly - as mentioned a million times here in the PG section - there must be hours of film like this in vaults all over Europe (wishful thinking) - or even (most likely) destroyed
It annoys me that there are hours of film with Bay City Rollers and the like and so little with PG'sFM.

Ms Moose

P.S. Hope I haven't offended anybody here who used to love or still loves Bay City Rollers
Old 08-28-2009, 11:10 AM
Junior Ledgie

I always thought the best JaS solo was on the Show Biz Blues box. Really powerful. I urge a relisten for you all. Even though the band screws up the beginning, the solo kicks a$$.

But more than that one for me is his "If You Let Me Love You" from Vol.3 . 10 minutes of absolute perfection for phrasing, pacing, dynamics and tone.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:19 PM
Junior Ledgie

The GM thing just remembered me of this thread, because I wrote about me staying in the front row of one of his concerts with my green "greeny" t-shirt. haha.

I don't know if I violate any rule of the forum if I pick up this thread again having nothing really new to say (still love "got a mind to..." but haven't decided about the New Orleans and the Stockholm version yet haha) but was a wonderful one. It made me re-think about Before The Beginning ( Shrine'69). Now it's also one of my favourites.

Aida
Old 02-14-2011, 04:37 AM
Junior Ledgie

Default first train home

hi

i.m new here but i agree the solo on got a good mind is sublime as in the first ever fm track first train home.
Best singing track i prefer the alabama bues track in mayall days, how van a young shy introvert jewish boy sing so desperate , almost black , a sublime country blues track

hope to hear some response my friends

Jan Horjus

=aida;832029]I agree with you both as I always loved Jumping at shadows live, I suppose I'm a bit partial but to me the live performances of this song recorded at the boston tea are awesome and I prefer them to the duster bennett original. I can also say that the worst version of this song I've ever heard is the one by Gary Moore (i think it was on the after hours album). How can such a great song sound so so boring??????

But to me the best blues solo in the world is the one Pete made on the live performance of I've got a mind to give up living at the Warehouse. Every time I listen to it I get shivers down my spine and I get close to tears. It's just...mindblowing.

When I listen to it i always think how come someone so young be so special, and different as Pete was. How can someone make me feel so much without saying a word. To me, it's the highest peak of Peter's magic. To me.[/QUOTE]
Old 02-14-2011, 07:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by horjus29 View Post
hope to hear some response my friends

Jan Horjus

.... to me the best blues solo in the world is the one Pete made on the live performance of I've got a mind to give up living at the Warehouse. Every time I listen to it I get shivers down my spine and I get close to tears. It's just...mindblowing.

When I listen to it i always think how come someone so young be so special, and different as Pete was. How can someone make me feel so much without saying a word. To me, it's the highest peak of Peter's magic. To me.
[/QUOTE]

Personally I prefer the Fillmore West january4 1970 version, but, each to his own.
Then, welcome to the Ledge Jan. Any chance you being related to Siete Horjus???
Old 02-14-2011, 09:36 AM
Junior Ledgie

Default best singing piece

Hi Jan!

best singing piece...This can re-open the debate! What you say about 'Alabama' makes me think about 'trying so hard to forget'. I do love 'Alabama' too but the lyrics always make me think about JB Lenoir...

Now talking about 'Trying so hard' it always shocked me that such sad lyrics could be sang without apparent affection, I don't know but probably is the piece in which I appreciate the most the way Peter sang.

I also thought about 'Man of the world', `Worried dream`and also `jumping at shadows', but 'Trying...' is special to me because I can feel the sadness even without apparent intentional affection.

Any other opinions...?
Old 02-14-2011, 05:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Hi Jan!

best singing piece...This can re-open the debate! What you say about 'Alabama' makes me think about 'trying so hard to forget'. I do love 'Alabama' too but the lyrics always make me think about JB Lenoir...

Now talking about 'Trying so hard' it always shocked me that such sad lyrics could be sang without apparent affection, I don't know but probably is the piece in which I appreciate the most the way Peter sang.

I also thought about 'Man of the world', `Worried dream`and also `jumping at shadows', but 'Trying...' is special to me because I can feel the sadness even without apparent intentional affection.

Any other opinions...?
I agree with you. All the songs you mention have the same 'feeling' or sentiment. In the Man of The World DVD, Mick Fleetwood said about PG's singing voice that 'it is so human', and he has got a point - because he (PG) has this ability to project feeling in a way that people can identify with. This is also his genius in playing guitar. He is able to communicate pure emotion - without making a song and dance about it, so to speak (excuse the pun). I think that the restrain in his playing actually makes people feel the emotions he holds back. A lot of guitarists display emotion but leave you cold.

Ms Moose
Old 03-31-2011, 02:33 PM
Junior Ledgie

welll

let me love you baby set my heart to tears too

Jan

QUOTE=aida;942696]Hi Jan!

Any other opinions...?[/QUOTE]
Old 03-31-2011, 02:36 PM
Junior Ledgie

hi wouter

no relation, i.m from the west of the netherlands, zoetermeer and most ""horjussen"" live in friesland

Jan

Personally I prefer the Fillmore West january4 1970 version, but, each to his own.
Then, welcome to the Ledge Jan. Any chance you being related to Siete Horjus???[/QUOTE]