The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-12-2018, 02:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Why didn't FM sue Lindsey when he left them in 1987?

Would they have had a case? Probably not, unless contracts had been signed. If so, they would have had a good case. Unless they just respected his decision. Why force somebody to do something they don't really want to do?

I have a feeling that his leaving the band on the eve of a nationwide tour back in 1987 is going to be brought up in this lawsuit. They're going to say he deserted them once after a disagreement, so they fired him before he could do it again. Not saying it's right or wrong, but there's no way that incident isn't going to be brought up by the band.
Old 10-12-2018, 03:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Because he WILLINGLY left.
Old 10-12-2018, 03:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Because he WILLINGLY left.
Yes, but breach of contract on a tour would still be an issue. I believe that is the point bwboy is making.
Old 10-12-2018, 03:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feather Blade View Post
Yes, but breach of contract on a tour would still be an issue. I believe that is the point bwboy is making.
I don't think we were quite as litigious back then. I'm sure they would NOW.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I don't think we were quite as litigious back then. I'm sure they would NOW.
I agree with you on that. As a society we do seem to have become litigious in general. Bad news for everyone but the lawyers.

Last edited by Feather Blade; 10-12-2018 at 04:41 PM..
Old 10-12-2018, 04:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes, he left willingly, but his decision could have cost the rest of the band millions of dollars... when you thnk about it, it's pretty incredible how quickly FM was able to replace Lindsey. If I recall, they had at least 8 weeks of dates committed for the tour that Lindsey had agreed to, and then he dropped out. And I'm not saying he was wrong to do so, but that's what happened.

Yeah, a lot of laundry is going to be washed in the public, but FM is definitely going to bring what he did in 1987 up. They're going to say they figured Lindsey was going to do in 2018 what he did in 1987, so they just beat him to the punch. The fact that he asked for a few months extension or whatever will likely lend credence to their defense.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feather Blade View Post
He quit the band before tour plans were made. There were no dates set when he left in ‘87.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlookdown View Post
He quit the band before tour plans were made. There were no dates set when he left in ‘87.

I'm not sure that can be the case. Didn't Stevie say something along the lines of 'That's so unprofessional. You just don't do that to promoters'
or something along those lines. Wouldn't that have suggested dates had already been lined up?

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 10-15-2018, 11:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlookdown View Post

I'm not positive since it was so long ago and I was only 16, but I think I already had tickets for a show in Boston when they had the press conference announcing he had left. I kind of remember freaking out that the tour would be cancelled. Again, can't rely on my memory anymore.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:29 AM
Registered

I may be mistaken, but didn't Mick emphatically write in one of his books that Lindsey did not leave voluntarily in 1987, he was fired? (That was the same book in which I read Lindsey called the Goat Queen a "schizophrenic bitch", and things got ugly from there. Truth hurts ) I also recall a joke that John told Lindsey to leave, and Lindsey took it to mean he was being told to leave the band, whereas John was merely asking him to leave the house. Of course Mick may have been his mendacious self, and everyone seems to have revised history to say that Lindsey voluntarily left in 1987, but who knows with this band.

So if he was fired, he could not be sued for not participating in the tour, since he was unable to perform his obligations because he was no longer in the band. Again, I may be mistaken, but these things stick in my mind, though don't ask me what I had for dinner two days ago
Old 10-15-2018, 11:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Just because tickets aren’t on sale to the public doesn’t mean that dates aren’t booked. Tours take months to plan. Lindsey potentially put them in a bind, but I think Mick saw it coming and already had a contingency plan worked out in his head.

THE Stephen Hopkins