The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm happier with this article than the Tribune article, that's for sure. However, I'm tempted to bring a sign to Allstate Arena saying NO MORE INTERVIEWS.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:04 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Did Stevie say on the Tusk documentary, "This band will never die a slow, long, painful death" or something like that?
Sounds like something she would say ala Planets of the Universe

"but i will die a slow death"
Old 03-03-2009, 08:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
"I took off in '87 to regain my sanity, and the band died a slow death without me. That didn't make me feel too bad," he snickers.
Selective memory. BTM and SYW sold about the same. OOTC and Time also sold about the same, only Time had less than minimal promotion and the band didn't actually fork money into touring after the album came out. What's his excuse? It would appear his own career had also died a slow death and he needed them just as much. He should grow up and realize that.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-03-2009, 08:46 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Selective memory. BTM and SYW sold about the same. OOTC and Time also sold about the same, only Time had less than minimal promotion and the band didn't actually fork money into touring after the album came out. What's his excuse? It would appear his own career had also died a slow death and he needed them just as much. He should grow up and realize that.
What about the sales differential between Tango in the Night and BTM or Time? Try inserting songs from OOTC into a early/mid 90s Fleetwood Mac album. His solo career was never in a state of slow death, at least no more than Stevie's was.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JbbyStew86 View Post
What about the sales differential between Tango in the Night and BTM or Time?
What about the sales differentials? Tango In The Night was by the Rumours incarnation of Fleetwood Mac. Lindsey was basically saying that, without him, Fleetwood Mac died a slow death, but he brought it back to life, which shows how much they need him. In reality, they did as well with their first post-Lindsey effort (Behind The Mask) as they did with their first post-Christine effort (Say You Will). Both albums featured two out of three singer/songwriters from the Rumours era, so it's a valid comparison. Take any one person out of the equation, and it becomes a different equation.

OOTC, Street Angel, and Time were released in close proximity. Combined they didn't crack 500,000. I'm not convinced if they had released an album in 1995 with Christine, Lindsey, and Stevie that it would've sold 500K, at least without Warner Bros., Clear Channel and Viacom on their side.

The bottom line is that Fleetwood Mac (regardless of incarnation, save for the Peter Green years) had become a joke by that point. Surrender The Rain, Blue Denim, and I Do were never going to be relevant in the era of Smells Like Teen Spirit. No, Mick, John, and Christine weren't having success with a new Fleetwood Mac. Lindsey and Stevie weren't having success as a solo artists, either. They needed each other, otherwise their collective careers were in the toilet, and the knew it (except in Christine's case, where she was probably more interested in the big, happy ending to her time in Fleetwood Mac).

Quote:
Try inserting songs from OOTC into a early/mid 90s Fleetwood Mac album.
Try inserting Christine's songs from Time or In The Meantime into Say You Will. Would it have helped? Probably.

Quote:
His solo career was never in a state of slow death, at least no more than Stevie's was.
While I really don't like Street Angel, I have to say that it sold about two to three times as many copies as OOTC and Time combined.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-03-2009, 10:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Dark in my flaming staircase, being totally unfamiliar with the artist or her music

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
Old 03-03-2009, 10:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimer View Post
What a pompous, self-worshipping, classless asshole.

I used to adore this guy, but now he just makes me sick.
But wait a minute, hasn't Lindsey always been this way? Come on! You adored him and you weren't clued into his very large egomaniac tendencies? And he was frigg'n worse back then...

Yeah, he's completely stuck on himself. His songs, for goodness sakes, are pretty much all one-sided, and I bet he could probably talk about his art and all it's unique coolness for days on end. Not untypical of most brilliant, creative, genius people.

And to be honest, Lindsey has never really gotten his deserved recognition. Yeah, music critics have given him the retrospective nod, most of his peers are on to how incredible he is, and of course he has an (awesome) loyal fan base. But it's very low-key and, for all his contributions, I think the general public kind of looks at him as a really good guitar player who sings Go Your Own Way and used to date Stevie. I mean, that may be a little extreme, but most of the people I have ever brought up Fleetwood Mac to (and that has been quite a lot) think of him that way. And others get him mixed up with Christine of all people (WTF?)...

Yeah, so let him toot his own horn. Sorta used to it now. Aside from all the talk, he doesn't come across as some arrogant jerk who walks around wanting people to worship him. And when I met him I honestly think he was the most humble musical artist/famous person I have ever encountered. Really, really, really sweet. He's just a little rough around the edges...

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL

Last edited by Nico; 03-03-2009 at 10:32 PM..
Old 03-03-2009, 11:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Yeah, so let him toot his own horn. Sorta used to it now. Aside from all the talk, he doesn't come across as some arrogant jerk who walks around wanting people to worship him. And when I met him I honestly think he was the most humble musical artist/famous person I have ever encountered. Really, really, really sweet. He's just a little rough around the edges...
I don't mind that he toots his own horn, but does he have to do it at the expense of his bandmates?

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-04-2009, 12:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't mind that he toots his own horn, but does he have to do it at the expense of his bandmates?
I'm pretty sure, at this point, they've all had their say at the expense of their bandmates. And I'm pretty sure the bandmates care far less than we do, at this point.

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL
Old 03-04-2009, 12:56 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
I'm pretty sure, at this point, they've all had their say at the expense of their bandmates. And I'm pretty sure the bandmates care far less than we do, at this point.
Agreed. You'd have to imagine that after this many years, they're used to the jabs. Especially Lindsey's.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Lindsey's over inflated ego is his worst feature.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
He's such a dick.... decent musician but a dick... that is my impression of him... And as much as he preaches the same crap about him and Stevie growing up... I haven't seen it from his/her comments.... Time and BTM were solid albums musically...
Old 03-04-2009, 12:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
He's such a dick.... decent musician but a dick... that is my impression of him... And as much as he preaches the same crap about him and Stevie growing up... I haven't seen it from his/her comments.... Time and BTM were solid albums musically...
Agreed. I don't own Time but I've always loved BTM from start to finish.