The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I must say I'm very very proud of the Mac for turning this down. And it was very clearly the original plan and was offered to them. I'm not sure who was most against it, I'm gonna guess both Stevie and Lindsey. Of all the ways they could spend their 2010, touring with the Eagles wouldve been such a waste of time especially as they're getting on in years. I just have images in my head of Stevie finally just stepping up and with Lindsey unanimously telling Mick "No"

Now I know we really have no idea who really was for and against this. But my best guess was this:|

For- Mick

Against- Stevie, Lindsey

Indifferent- John

Pick up a ****ing newspaper Don I'm not in the band anymore- Chris

He Will Burn You Down
Old 03-16-2010, 11:39 PM
Registered

And we assume that Fleetwood Mac was the party who turned down the tour pairing why?
Old 03-17-2010, 12:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
I must say I'm very very proud of the Mac for turning this down.

Now I know we really have no idea who really was against this.
I can tell you exactly who was against this idea from the very beginning,
it was BARRY.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Reverb reported nearly two months ago that the Eagles/Fleetwood Mac stadium tour had been scrapped before a single date had been set (unfortunately, we can’t reveal the reason, but don’t put your mind in the gutter -- it is far from tragic, scandalous or life-and-death. It was a concept that just didn’t work out). The Eagles have a slew of arena dates starting in April in LA, but they’ve got replacement stadiums set up dates with the Dixie Chicks and Keith Urban.

Billy Joel recently announced that he’s leaving the Billy Joel/Elton John tour, that he needs some time off. Take that at face value I think it is true.. I interviewed Billy several days ago for a separate project, and he’s happy, sober, sharp and in good humor. Taking a year off would have helped many artists back in the day. Good for Billy for looking out for himself. And may I say it? Billy Joel kicks ass.

Michael Jackson could have used $250 million a year ago. It’s gross to say it, but now that he’s gone and can’t spend it, he’s got it. His estate is going to make Elvis’ marketing look like an ice cream stand.Get ready for a decade of Jacko.

http://social.entertainment.msn.com/...x?post=1709012
Old 03-17-2010, 03:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post

Michael Jackson could have used $250 million a year ago. It’s gross to say it, but now that he’s gone and can’t spend it, he’s got it. His estate is going to make Elvis’ marketing look like an ice cream stand.Get ready for a decade of Jacko.

http://social.entertainment.msn.com/...x?post=1709012
250 Million minus the 400+ million he was in debt ( Billboard Magazine), let's
see, still in the hole over 150 million (pardon the pun). Sony gets to release
10 albums over the next seven years with the "new" deal. So with album
sales the way they are, and are trending, Sony needs to make 25 million +
per album to break even. Yeah, that seems like a great deal. I'd like to know just how
much real money his children are going to see. As if those numbers are true,
because you know record companies and artist (especially the Jackson's) like
to inflate numbers.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

^^^My understanding is that his sales in 2009 after his death, alone, paid off his debt.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA View Post
And we assume that Fleetwood Mac was the party who turned down the tour pairing why?
...because the Eagles had already secured the stadiums on those dates, so one could safely assume that the shows would have proceeded with or without Fleetwood Mac on board. As it turns out, they are indeed proceeding without FM.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
I must say I'm very very proud of the Mac for turning this down. And it was very clearly the original plan and was offered to them. I'm not sure who was most against it, I'm gonna guess both Stevie and Lindsey. Of all the ways they could spend their 2010, touring with the Eagles wouldve been such a waste of time especially as they're getting on in years. I just have images in my head of Stevie finally just stepping up and with Lindsey unanimously telling Mick "No"

Now I know we really have no idea who really was for and against this. But my best guess was this:|

For- Mick

Against- Stevie, Lindsey

Indifferent- John

Pick up a ****ing newspaper Don I'm not in the band anymore- Chris
Maybe the members of Fleetwood Mac came to The Ledge and read that 72.14% of voters in the poll were against them touring with The Eagles.... and that changed their minds.............
Old 03-17-2010, 11:50 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
...because the Eagles had already secured the stadiums on those dates, so one could safely assume that the shows would have proceeded with or without Fleetwood Mac on board. As it turns out, they are indeed proceeding without FM.
The dates may have been held, but "secured" (as in contracted)? As in, they *needed* to happen with or without Fleetwood Mac? Doubtful. They never needed Fleetwood Mac for anything.

My original point was- it might be nice to assume/believe that Fleetwood Mac turned down the tour (the "original plan"- as if the one article that was planted on an Azoff-controlled website could give us divine understanding into how these Eagles dates were planned) based on principle, as has been suggested.. but, in all likelihood, Eagles/Azoff simply realized could make more money with the announced dates/pairing.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA View Post
The dates may have been held, but "secured" (as in contracted)? As in, they *needed* to happen with or without Fleetwood Mac? Doubtful. They never needed Fleetwood Mac for anything.

My original point was- it might be nice to assume/believe that Fleetwood Mac turned down the tour (the "original plan"- as if the one article that was planted on an Azoff-controlled website could give us divine understanding into how these Eagles dates were planned) based on principle, as has been suggested.. but, in all likelihood, Eagles/Azoff simply realized could make more money with the announced dates/pairing.

I agree that the Eagles don't *need* Fleetwood Mac, but there is no doubt that tickets would have been more expensive, attendance would have been greater and more money would have been made all around with FM on the bill. I really don't understand the Dixie Chicks-Keith Urban angle at all. Yes, the Eagles have dabbled in the country world in the past (but then again, so has Bon Jovi!), but their fanbase is far from being the Confederate-flag waving, CMT-watching Wal Mart shoppers that listen to country radio. I suspect that a majority of Eagles fans are kind of icked-out at the prospect of having to sit through Keith Urban AND the Dixie Chicks. Sure, I suppose there are some Dixie Chicks fans who are curious about seeing them after such a long hiatus, but I suspect the Dixie Chicks are not yet at the point in their career where people would be willing to pay $225 to see them. And Keith Urban is just wasted space. They may as well have put Miley Cyrus on the bill instead; at least she would be able to draw out the tweens and make it a family affair for, uh, really rich families.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I really don't understand the Dixie Chicks-Keith Urban angle at all. Yes, the Eagles have dabbled in the country world in the past (but then again, so has Bon Jovi!), but their fanbase is far from being the Confederate-flag waving, CMT-watching Wal Mart shoppers that listen to country radio.
Do you remember the Bush fiasco? The Chicks were completely shunned by country radio and CMT. There were even death threats against Natalie(have you seen "Shut Up and Sing"?) So if you're picturing flag wavers as Chick's fans, you're far from correct.

I think they're an awesome pairing for the tour. Urban? Meh, who cares?
Old 03-17-2010, 01:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes, the Eagles have dabbled in the country world in the past (but then again, so has Bon Jovi!), but their fanbase is far from being the Confederate-flag waving, CMT-watching Wal Mart shoppers that listen to country radio. I suspect that a majority of Eagles fans are kind of icked-out at the prospect of having to sit through Keith Urban AND the Dixie Chicks. Sure, I suppose there are some Dixie Chicks fans who are curious about seeing them after such a long hiatus, but I suspect the Dixie Chicks are not yet at the point in their career where people would be willing to pay $225 to see them. And Keith Urban is just wasted space. They may as well have put Miley Cyrus on the bill instead; at least she would be able to draw out the tweens and make it a family affair for, uh, really rich families.
I like the Dixie Chicks and Keith Urban a lot more than I like the Eagles. And Keith Urban -- aside from being a LB admirer -- has great music and is sort of a heart throb, so I think he will attract young swooning girls. I like his songs. I just don't know what kind of live performer he is. He might just stand there -- like Don. I'd pay $225 to see them. If it weren't for the Eagles. If I weren't lazy. If I hadn't just shelled out $500 for Conan tickets.

Michele

Last edited by michelej1; 03-17-2010 at 01:57 PM..
Old 03-17-2010, 01:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I like the Dixie Chicks and Keith Urban a lot more than I like the Eagles. And Keith Urban -- aside from being a LB admirer -- has great music and is sort of a hearth throb, so I think he will attract young swooning girls. I like his songs. I just don't know what kind of live performer he is. He might just stand there -- like Don. I'd pay $225 to see them. If it weren't for the Eagles. If I weren't lazy. If I hadn't just shelled out $500 for Conan tickets.

Michele
Michele, I was dreading the FM/Eagles pairing, but now that I hear The Dixie Chicks are coming back, I may have to see them! Taking the Long Way is still in heavy rotation on my Ipod after all these years.

What happened, happened, nevertheless, TTLW was a kickass album. "The Long Way Around" and "Lubbock or Leave it" would be killer live.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceLover View Post
Michele, I was dreading the FM/Eagles pairing, but now that I hear The Dixie Chicks are coming back, I may have to see them! Taking the Long Way is still in heavy rotation on my Ipod after all these years.

What happened, happened, nevertheless, TTLW was a kickass album. "The Long Way Around" and "Lubbock or Leave it" would be killer live.
They are hot live. I'd love to see Lindsey with them, though I'm sure he wouldn't be open to the suggestion -- which is irritating, considering he played guitar for Carrie Underwood. Grrr.

What I don't like about them is after what they went through, they still support the boycotting of other artists. They should be the last people to say don't buy Reba or Toby's music if you don't like their politics. Instead, they're the first people to say that. They actually seem as much in favor of censorship as their detractors are. They annoy me, especially Natalie.

But the album was great and so was the doc Shut Up and Sing.

Stevie said she first fell in love with them hearing There's Your Trouble and I was the same way. I loved that one over their other hits.

Michele
Old 03-17-2010, 04:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
And Keith Urban -- aside from being a LB admirer -- has great music and is sort of a heart throb, so I think he will attract young swooning girls. I like his songs. I just don't know what kind of live performer he is.

Michele
I bought a KU live dvd, because it was cheap, and I now think he's boring. I've watched it one time.