User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-03-2002, 09:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Arrow Album Discussion: Lindsey songs on Tusk

The Ledge: It really took me a few listens to really GET this song. I really do love it now!! It reminds me of a....hoedown!! LMAO!! Swang yer partner round and round!! YEEHAW!

Fave line: "...you can love me baby but you can't walk out..."

Save Me A Place: This one also took some getting use to. It's really heartbreaking to listen to.

Fave line: "I'll come runnin, if you love me today..." Awwww...

WMYTYTO: I love this song, the melody, the words, the way he sings it...AWESOME!!

Fave line: "...everything you do has been done, and it won't last forever.."

That's All For Everyone: I loved this one the second I heard it, it's got a carnival sound to it, but in a GOOD way, not in the bad "I Still Miss Someone" way.

Fave line: "...must be just exactly what I need.."

Not That Funny: Wow..this song...in concert is AMAZING, especially his whole "grunting and groaning" part!!

Fave line "...I don't wanna turn you on, all your hope is gone, and it's not that funny, is it?..."

That's Enough For Me: Love the music in this...it's totally NUTS!! He sounds like he's having fun singing it too..and that comes across in the song.

Fave line: "...every night that you made me smile, it's the same old way it used to be, and that's enough for me..."

I Know I'm Not Wrong: I love when he goes "woah" in the song!! LOL I love the music in this one too.

Fave line: "...Her lips were waitin, her eyes looked sad, dreams of a lifetime, a year gone bad..."

Walk a Thin Line: He just wants you to LISTEN to him!! LOL I HATE when people don't LISTEN!! AAAH!!!! I love this song!! HAHA

Fave line: "...I've seen so many things that made me wonder..."

Tusk: Such an unusual song...the low singing and the yelling of TUSK. When I first heard it, I was kind of taken aback at it, but I do like it alot. It's not my fave LB song, but it's coolness!!

Fave line: "TUSK!!"

Last edited by wondergirl9847; 09-03-2002 at 09:24 PM..
Old 09-06-2002, 09:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up T U S K !!!

The Ledge: Fun song, I've never been really into it but it's never bothered me either. I've always thought of it as a sort of nuts version of I Don't Wanna Know.

Save Me A Place: Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant song...out of the album versions of all the songs on Tusk, this is my favourite. Lindsey spilling his guts about a whole load of complex things, and yet in such a simple and peaceful tune.

What Makes You Think You're The One: Lindsey at one of his most bitter times...it took me a while to get into the heavy/loud (literally!) beat of this song...I have to be in the right mood for this song to work the way Lindsey intended it to.

That's All For Everyone: Awesome...I love the easy going feel of this song, it matches the lyrics so well. Again, one of my favs.

Not That Funny: I'm one of the very few people who likes this version a lot...I think it's great. His voice sounds more sarcastic than the live versions...so it serves its purpose better...I can just imagine how wound up whoever this song was intended for (probably Stevie?) must have got every time they heard it.
The live versions kick ass, I love the little country-like solo part he puts in just before Mick's drum solo on the Mirage Tour.

That's Enough For Me: Great little fun song, like The Ledge, I've never been really "into" it...just listen to it as another signature nuts Tusk song.

I Know I'm Not Wrong: (aka "Not That Funny Part II") I prefer Not That Funny but this is also good...it gives me more of a sound and feel that I really like.

Walk A Thin Line: It's ok, again, never been that deeply into it but it's a really nice tune.

Tusk: Second fav. song on the album, and the live (to be precise, the Irvine Meadows '97) version is one of my fav. FM songs ever. THAT laugh he does at the end of the first verse in that live '97 version is......pure evil....!!!....HAHhaahahahahHAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!

This is only my third fav. FM album (narrowly beaten by Tango In The Night) but it's still awesome.

Fav. lyrics from the entire album:
Don't say that you love me!
Just tell me that you want me!!! AAAAAHHHHYeeeeeeeeHAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by seteca; 09-06-2002 at 10:13 AM..
Old 09-14-2002, 02:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Lightbulb Any more discussions?

*bumping thread* Anyone else want to discuss Lindsey's Tusk songs?
Old 09-15-2002, 10:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile Okay, I'll bite

I don't spend much time on the Lindsey forum, but Lindsey's songs on Tusk are my favorites out of all his FM work, so here I am! I love this group of songs because to me they seem to be the most genuine, emotionally raw statements he's made. The anger, the nastiness, the sadness...it's there all there, it's palpable, and it's accentuated by the music and production rather than diluted. When I listen, it's the turmoil that grabs me locks me in.

The Ledge~ This is almost my favorite on the album. It's just so hostile and musically frantic, it's seemingly teetering on the edge of control. I think it's Lindsey's answer to Stevie's "you'll never get away" statement in Silver Springs. "You can love me baby, but you can't walk out..." And "you're never gonna make it baby..." Ouch! If he was talking to Stevie, how wrong could he have been?

Save Me a Place~ I love the lyric "And I guess I need to be amazed." This song is achingly vulnerable, needy. Makes me want to hug him!

What Makes You Think You're the One~ This is another great hostile-to-Stevie song. To me the lyrics are a response to their remaining emotional connection. He feels that she's still expecting him to love her and want her and maybe pine for her, but he's saying no way, you're not so special. Maybe he's fighting what's left of the connection through these lyrics.

That's All for Everyone~ This one I don't like. It's the only one I skip when I'm listening to the CD. I find the alternating/echoing "that's all/exactly what I need" part kind of annoying.

Not That Funny~ This is one nasty song--but that's why I love it! "You're here 'cause I say so" makes me think that of course is about Stevie, that she would be nowhere without him. And then the rest of it seems to be a "you made your bed, now lie in it. And if you don't like it, well ha!"
I love both versions, the album version because it IS more sarcastic, and the live versions because Lindsey just takes the opportunity to go absolutely crazy on this song.

That's Enough for Me~ This is the nicer cousin to The Ledge, a wistful acknowledgement of the good and bad feelings that remain, and a sort of acceptance and closure. I like it. Very sweet.

I Know I'm Not Wrong~ Another wistful, sad song even though the music is fairly upbeat. He's trying to convince himself of something, so he seems a little lost...I want to comfort him again. lol. Seems to me there's not the same kind of resolution as in That's Enough for Me.

Walk a Thin Line~ I like this--instrospective, a little of the "tortured artist" vibe...Why won't anyone listen? Why doesn't anyone understand? I'm listening, I get it!

Tusk~ I love it. It's spooky, it's mysterious, it's dark, it's angry. "Don't tell me that you love me, just tell me that you want me." He wants lust but not love. And wild lust, by the sound of the rhythm, the jungle sounds, the yelling! I also love the grand scale of the song, its ambition--you need an entire marching band to do it up right. Excellent, excellent. Genious. I love this song.

Whew. That was fun. I need to go listen to Tusk now.

Old 09-22-2002, 08:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default An HONEST, no-holds barred opinion of Tusk

I love Lindsey. I really do. I adore him. I am a true fan.

But to me, Tusk is not the high point of his career. In fact, if I were to rank his FM and solo stuff album-wise, I'd say this comes in 4th. There is one great song, several good songs, but a couple of the songs sound like he was trying so hard to get away from Rumours that he overcompensated by obsessing over making the music "different" instead of making the music enjoyable. I am thinking specifically of "The Ledge" and "Not That Funny." Parts of "What Makes You Think You're the One" come close to that but overall that song works. But let's break down the whole album:

The Ledge:
I've already stated this is my least favorite song (once of my least faves of his ever). So, this will garner my harshest criticism.

When it starts, it has the potential to be a fun song - but then Lindsey throws off the beat with some strangely placed echoes, and they mess up the song every time they occur until I just want the stopping and starting of the rythym to end.

Here are the spots this occurs:
what it's really what it's really all about....
oughtta tell you oughtta tell you...
someone oughtta someone oughtta someone oughta someone oughtta someone oughtta someone oughtta someone oughta someone oughtta someone oughtta someone oughtta someone oughtta someone oughtta someone oughtta someone oughtta tell you what it's really what it's really what it's really what it's really all about. [I'm not exaggerating - this is what he sings.]

And during the bridge, why does he manipulate the chorus like he's sitting there turning the dials up and down? He's obviously doing it for effect, but it seems like this effect has only one purpose: to make his song "unconventional."

Save Me a Place
Not bad. A little dull, but it's sweet.

What Makes You Think You're the One
Ouch! I have to say, while the tone of the song it abrasive, I see where he's coming from. He's saying, "You are NOT all that, Stevie Nicks!" And with this song, I think he's pretty much got Stevie's attitude towards him at the time pegged. She wanted Lindsey to be hers, whether she was his or not. She wanted him to "never get away" even as she moved on to other men. So I think it's right on lyrically. And, musically, the song is pretty good until you get to towards the end and he makes all these weird noises in the background. (This is the bridge before the mmm...mmm..) That is annoying and brings the song down. Again, I believe these effects were only tossed in to be "experimental" because they certainly don't add anything melodically. Otherwise, I like it.

That's All for Everyone
It drags, plodding on and on. I just want it to be over. Next!

Not That Funny
Ugh. Such jerky lyrics, but other than that, it sounds (as I mentioned before) half finished. Bang bang, ring ring, bang bang, ring ring. But it really doesn't start grating in full measure until the cacophony at the end. What happened to those magnificent endings he used to ram out on that guitar? For some songs the end was better than the rest of it (ISA). Now it's the worst part.

That being said, the live version (Mirage, not Dance) - OK, what was he saying about "no one to turn you on?" lol! I like that one a lot better. Hehe.

That's Enough for Me
I LOVE this song! The is the best of Lindsey's songs on Tusk. In fact, it's one of my top 10 Lindsey FM songs EVER. This song is fun, it's got a great beat, and the beat propels it forward so quickly that the underproduction works simply because it highlights that beat. The guitar is utilized here more than the other songs, and who can't love Lindsey's exuberant "YEAH! YEAH! YEAH! YEAH!" Right there with you, babe.

Also, for me, this is the turning point of the album for him. I like all his later songs on it.

I Know I'm Not Wrong
Which means I like this one, too. Some of its lyrics and chords and rhythms echo some of the ones I didn't like eariler, but melodically it's catchier. I like the underlying melody that becomes obvious towards the end: Bum Bum Bum Bum Bum Bum, Bum BUM bum buddadadum. It has good harmony. And it has some cool guitar in it at the end (I LOVE his guitar. It makes everything OK.) The hook "I Know I'm Not Wrong" can get in your head and stay there.

Walk a Thin Line:
You'd think I wouldn't like this song. After all, it's very slow and repetitive, things I disliked about "That's All for Everyone." Here, however, I just love how the chorus goes: I said stay....(ooh wa ooh wa ooh wa ooh wa wa) by my side....(ooh wa ooh wa ooh wa ooh wa wa). That sounds very cool to me. And, like IKINW, this has a very catchy, stay in your brain hook. "I walk a thin.....line!"

Tusk:
I like the beat, the lyrics, the horns, the melody....the only think I don't like are the "sound effects." They bring down a perfectly good song. However, they don't bring it down so much that I dislike it. It just doesn't fulfill its potential until you go live with it and ax all that (although I think sometimes he does do the sound effects live - you just can't hear them very well so it doesn't matter as much lol)

There you go, my honest opinion of Tusk. I don't hate it, but I don't think it stands out. With the exception of That's Enough for Me, most of the songs are just "pretty good." And a couple are not so good. I realize I am in the minority. This is true for the Stevie songs too. I think I'm the only Stevie fan who dislikes "Storms" and "Beautiful Child."

Let me stress, I admire Lindsey a great deal. I believe he is a musical genius. I believe he is one of the best guitarists alive. I do not believe Tusk was his best work, and I am not afraid to say so.

Old 09-23-2002, 04:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: An HONEST, no-holds barred opinion of Tusk

Quote:
Originally posted by sodascouts
That's All for Everyone
It drags, plodding on and on. I just want it to be over. Next!
Wah! Kidding. I don't know - I just adore That's All For Everyone. It feels like a warm, misty, fuzzy, gentle daydream of thoughts and feelings.
Old 09-24-2002, 08:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Arrow Aww...

I love TAFE too, Les! LOL Hey, different strokes..right?

"I find the alternating/echoing "that's all/exactly what I need" part kind of annoying."

That is why I love the song!! It just amazes me how we as fans have such varying loves and hates of certains songs. That's why I started these threads, I wanted to hear everyone's opinions on the songs, see what you hear that I don't, or vice versa perhaps!! Thanks, gang!
Old 09-25-2002, 07:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Aww...

Quote:
Originally posted by wondergirl9847
It just amazes me how we as fans have such varying loves and hates of certains songs. That's why I started these threads, I wanted to hear everyone's opinions on the songs, see what you hear that I don't, or vice versa perhaps!! Thanks, gang!
Yep. To each our own.
Old 09-25-2002, 10:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think that maybe my top favorites on Tusk of Lindsey's, are

The Ledge
Save Me A Place
That's All For Everyone
That's Enough for Me

I love the wildness...the total chaos of The Ledge. Plus, I just like it as Lindsey's opening salvo on the album that yessirree, his songs are going to be a little "different" this time around. Save Me A Place just elicits a very satisfied sigh. I read somewhere that he was sort of going for a Hawaiian sound on that one. I can kind of see that.

I do love the "yeahs!" on That's Enough For Me.

I really like I Know I'm Not Wrong as well. The musical parts are irresistible. The tune isn't my most favorite, but I think the lyrics to Walk A Thin Line are some of his most meaningful on the album.
Old 09-25-2002, 10:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I haven't got Tusk yet, but I like Tusk(song).
Old 09-25-2002, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mac Fan
I haven't got Tusk yet, but I like Tusk(song).
Dude, set aside about 100 bucks and go buy all this stuff you're missing. Get Tusk, Out of the Cradle, Go Insane, Law and Order, Fleetwood Mac and Tango in the Night. I'm assuming you already have The Dance, no? And Rumours?
Old 09-25-2002, 01:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I like:

I Know I'm Not Wrong
Save Me A Place
What Makes You Think You're The One
Walk A Thin Line
That's Enough For Me
(and of course) Tusk (which I think should have a full band songwriting credit...after all, the song was "created" by the band as a warm up jam as they came on stage during the Rumours tour...if you have bootlegs of those shows, especially Sin City 77, before the first song, behind their being introduced, there's the Tusk riff at about 1/3 speed)

The rest:

The Ledge
That's All For Everyone
Not That Funny

should've been held over for "Law & Order".
Old 09-25-2002, 03:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My definite favorite is The Ledge. But, I also love:
I Know I'm Not Wrong
Save Me A Place
Walk A Thin Line

My least favorite is That's All For Everyone-and I like that, just not as much as the others. Although it didn't start out that way, Tusk is now my favorite Fleetwood Mac album.
Old 09-28-2002, 05:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca

Dude, set aside about 100 bucks and go buy all this stuff you're missing. Get Tusk, Out of the Cradle, Go Insane, Law and Order, Fleetwood Mac and Tango in the Night. I'm assuming you already have The Dance, no? And Rumours?
I've got Rumours, but I don't have The Dance. I don't own any solo albums, but I do have Tango in the night, which is amazing.
Old 09-28-2002, 11:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Mac Fan

SkipThe Dance for now, it's really just another live album. I would make Tusk your next purchase!

Take on the situation but not the torment