Oh Well 4 6.90%
Sentimental Lady 2 3.45%
Hynotized 8 13.79%
Why 18 31.03%
Other 6 10.34%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-23-2002, 04:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool What is Your Favorite Pre Lindsey/Stevie FM Song?

Just curious!

Joe
Old 02-23-2002, 07:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This is a pretty easy one for me. I voted for Why. This is my second favorite Christine McVie song ever. I love everything about the song-never get tired of hearing it. My favorite Peter Green songs are Need Your Love So Bad and Green Manalishi. My favorite Bob Welch songs are Sentimental Lady and Hypnotized.

Last edited by macfan 57; 02-24-2002 at 07:25 AM..
Old 02-24-2002, 12:58 AM
Junior Ledgie

I voted for Hypnotized because Bob Welch is so underrated. A lot of people don't like his voice, but he was one of Mac's best songwriters. IMO, Mystery to Me ranks just below Tusk and Rumours as one of FM's best albums. The entire album has an ethereal, trippy feel. Sorta like Pink Floyd but more pop oriented.

As for my favorite Peter Green song, I'd have to go with Albatross.

***myndpeace***
Old 02-24-2002, 02:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default My pick was...

It's a tie between Hypnotized and Why, two of the greatest songs, but I chose Hypnotized. I love Mystery to Me, great album!
Old 02-25-2002, 10:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow, that's a tough one!! I love Why, Hypnotized, Sentimental Lady AND Oh Well........but, since I absolutely had to choose, I HAD to go with Why!!!!! I love this Christine song......."my heart will rise up with the morning sun.....and the hurt I feel will simply melt away...." .......what a terrific bluesy, alto voice!!!!!!! Her singing this song, and those words....I just get chills!!

Stephanie

He fell for her again...she watched it happen...every day...day by day...but MORE important...NIGHT BY NIGHT!!--Thrown Down
Old 02-25-2002, 02:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I had to vote for Why too... like Stephanie, it absolutely gives me chills every time I listen to it. That twangy slide guitar intro just totally sets the mood... it just is like taking you into the song... away from your surroundings. And those lyrics are heartbreaking! I think my fav part of the song is the ending though... that guitar work really gets to me . This is my personal fav Chris song (amongst the likes of Prove Your Love, and Over and Over). MTM was just an incredible album though! Every song was worth its weight in gold and then some! My second fav Mac album (behind Tusk). Of course the only pre '75 albums I have are Kiln House, Bare Trees, Mystery To Me, and Heroes are Hard to Find, so as I collect more, my vote may change! -Louie
Old 02-25-2002, 04:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Oh Well

Oh Well is my favorite SONG, no matter who covers it (except Kenny Wayne Shepard...his version sucks the big one)

After Oh Well, these stand out, for me, among the pre-1975 material (no particular order)

I Loved Another Woman
Love That Burns
Albatross
Black Magic Woman
Need Your Love So Bad
Watch Out
Like It This Way
World In A Tangle
One Sunny Day
Sunny Side Of Heaven
Green Manalishi
Rattlesnake Shake
Before The Beginning
Show Biz Blues
Like Crying
Without You
World In Harmony
My Dream
Underway
Man Of The World
The World Keeps On Turning
Shake Your Money Maker
Dragonfly
Purple Dancer
This Is The Rock
Station Man
Tell Me All The Things You Do
Morning Rain
Woman Of A 1000 Years
Future Games
Sentimental Lady
Child Of Mine
Dust
Remember Me
Dissatisfied
Revelation
Caught In The Rain
Emerald Eyes
Believe Me
Hypnotized
Forever
Keep On Going
Miles Away
For Your Love
Why
Heroes Are Hard To Find
Angel
Bermuda Triangle
Come A Little Bit Closer
Born Enchanter
Old 02-26-2002, 01:12 AM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by louielouie2000
MTM was just an incredible album though! Every song was worth its weight in gold and then some! My second fav Mac album (behind Tusk). Of course the only pre '75 albums I have are Kiln House, Bare Trees, Mystery To Me, and Heroes are Hard to Find, so as I collect more, my vote may change! -Louie
MTM rocks!!! I'm glad that there are other people here who give Bob Welch the respect that he deserves as one of the Mac's most influential musicians. He was the Lindsey Buckingham of the band back then, writing most of the songs and willing to take those creative leaps. Both MTM and Tusk are rather experimental albums (probably Tusk more so), but what MTM has that Tusk doesn't is cohesiveness. The entire album flows better than any other Mac album and the nearly perfect production is rivaled only by Rumours. Bob Weston is heard on this album; although he is somewhat disliked for having an affair with Mick's wife which nearly caused the band to break up during the MTM tour, his guitar playing complements Bob Welch's nicely. Christine also shines on this album, but unlike her post-1975 work, this is a BLUES album. Her voice is perfectly designed for blues singing, and it rings clearer here than it does on her later work. Just listen to "Why" and "Believe Me." Christine is always and forever a blues artist; although she made the transition to pop in 1975, many of her greatest pop songs (Don't Stop, World Turning, Say You Love Me, Over and Over, Brown Eyes, etc.) retain a distinctive blues sound to them.

In terms of other pre-1975 albums, they're all worth a listen, but if you can't get a hold of all of them (as most of them are damn near impossible to find on CD here in the US), nobody's Mac collection should be without MTM, Bare Trees, Kiln House, Then Play On, and English Rose. I hate to say this, but many of the unofficial live albums featuring the original lineup are not worth the money. Not that there's anything wrong with the music, but on most of them the sound quality is far less than you'd expect.

***myndpeace***
Old 02-26-2002, 01:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Thumbs up Bob Welch!

Yep! Bob Welch is the coolest! I just love his songwriting, and musical style. Very ethereal, he kind of takes you to a different world... like another certain FM songwriter that I am fond of . I think MTM was his creative pinnacle with the Mac... his material was just incredible from it! He seemed to bring out the best in Chris too, IMO. But yeah, Bob is one of my all time favs . -Louie
Old 02-26-2002, 09:52 AM
Ledgie

Heart I voted Oh Well

I just love Why, Christine is on her best, but I don't love the end of the song.
That's why I voted for Oh Well, but what I mean is: Oh Well part One and Two, in combination. It's absolutely beautiful!

Anna
Old 02-26-2002, 11:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default To myndpeace

I don't know what CD shops you frequent, but every store I've been in (not counting Target, K-Mart or Wal-Mart), they've had the full complement of Fleetwood Mac discs starting with "Then Play On" (the first three...Dog & Dustbin, Mr. Wonderful, & Pious Bird are tough to find, I will admit...but that's what "The Complete Blue Horizon Sessions" box is for).

The Boston Box is THE difinitive documentation of the Peter Green era live. Great sound quality, AMAZING performances.
Old 02-26-2002, 12:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up Oh Well!

I voted for Oh Well...I would say that, in my opinion, this song is perfect...the timing, the lyrics, the tune, the guitars, the bass, drums...everything!!!

And most importantly, it simply kicks ass!

My favourite version is Live at The Boston Tea Party.

Old 02-26-2002, 02:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's got to be The Green Manalishi for me. The lyrics say it all about Peter and his frame of mind at the time, very powerful stuff, plus the feel given by the guitar work and the sporadic cries.
Having said that, Oh Well is an amazing piece of work too. I still get goosebumps when the intro kicks in.
Old 02-27-2002, 04:18 PM
Junior Ledgie

Definitely Forever...it just has this really great relaxed kinda sound to it...Hypnotized is great too...2 of my fave. old school (haha had to say it) songs in a row...rock on

beck
Old 03-31-2002, 11:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default i picked other

Bare Trees is the best pre BN song.

He Will Burn You Down