User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeAWillow View Post
I agree that students learn more from each other than they do in class, but I've actually found that I've learned much more about how to communicate in the business world from internships than from anything else.
i.t.a.

I think internships are very important, for many different reasons. I personally didn't do any - and now I wish I had.
They're starting to move towards "integrating" outside experience with classroom work - which I think is GREAT. For example, somebody might do an internship at a law office, and the work they do there would also be discussed in a pre-law class. Meanwhile there could be a club to join which focuses on the same issues that the law firm does; and meanwhile a history class could cover the history behind the legal issues being discussed. They're trying to present the big picture and how it all connects together, in other words - I think that's fantastic, personally. At the least it should make it much more interesting - and practical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeAWillow View Post
I think your comment on the use of college vocabulary is interesting, but here we part ways. I've found the most effective communication is clear and concise, and it rarely, if ever, requires a lexicon above that of a moderately gifted high school sophomore.

I can actually agree with that, at least to a point. I can tell you that there's a writer I admire very much - Samantha Power - the Obama advisor that got in trouble awhile back for calling Hillary a "monster" - I consider her a VERY good writer - she won the Pulitzer Prize so it's not like I'm the only one with that opinion. Anyway, they once asked her about it and one of the tips she gave was, "NEVER use the big word when the small word will do." What she really meant i.m.o. was "don't use the big word - use the right word."
At any rate though, I can tell you that when I was taking graduate classes in Education at S.U., I noticed that the students - no matter what their major - were talking (in general) at a high school or even junior high school level when they entered (although I have no doubt that most would do okay on a writing and vocabulary test) - but by the time they got to junior or senior year, they were talking like "educated adults." Of course, it's totally debatable, how much actual influence the college had on that; it could easily be argued that it's just "normal maturation" or whatever. But i.m.o., college at least let them feel encouraged, that it's "okay" and even expected to talk that way. Granted communication isn't everything - persistence, hard work, and all of that, of course - but considering what people are paying in tuition these days I figure they might as well get their money's worth. Syracuse University undergrad in my opinion is a PERFECT example - they're talking about something called "value per dollar" in Education these days - the VALUE of an S.U. undergraduate education is (i.m.o.) very, very high. But the COST is so ridiculously expensive that it may literally not be worth it, from any point-of-view. SUNY Buffalo for example may not (in some majors) provide as good an education as S.U. But the "value per dollar" at S.U. might be, for example, 0.9, whereas it might be 2 at SUNY Buffalo. That would obviously make Buffalo the better choice - whether S.U. likes it or not. And that means that S.U. has some thinking to do...
All "i.m.o.," of course.

Last edited by Ghost_Tracker; 09-25-2009 at 04:56 PM..
Old 09-25-2009, 05:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have an interview with my top college choice next week. I am flipping out. Kenyon better love me.

Now its nap time. I slept on a couch in my English teacher's office during lunch today. I was THAT exhausted.

JTIS.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellaaarisen View Post
I have an interview with my top college choice next week. I am flipping out. Kenyon better love me.

JTIS.

I'm sure Kenyon can use a person like Daniella.

Last edited by Ghost_Tracker; 09-25-2009 at 06:53 PM..
Old 09-25-2009, 06:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I slept on a couch in my English teacher's office during lunch today. I was THAT exhausted.

JTIS.
DID YOU NOT LEARN YOUR LESSON LAST TIME YOU JUST THOUGHT YOU'D SHARE?!?! WHY DO YOU THINK THIS THREAD GOT SO POPULAR??

( sorry I had too!)
Old 09-25-2009, 09:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That's my girl And psh, everyone loves you.
You're so like me
Old 09-30-2009, 04:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I might have just written an awesome college essay. But it's 2:30 in the morning so I'm doubting my judgment right about now...

JTIS.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Had my interview today with Kenyon College. Little did I know that Stevie would help me with this guy... he asked me what individuals I would want to meet and what I would ask them and the second her name came out of my mouth, he audibly gasped and started jabbering away about Rumours.

Thank you, La Nicks.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Had my interview today with Kenyon College. Little did I know that Stevie would help me with this guy... he asked me what individuals I would want to meet and what I would ask them and the second her name came out of my mouth, he audibly gasped and started jabbering away about Rumours.

Thank you, La Nicks.
THAT is amazing, Dani.
I'm so glad it went well!!!!!!!!
Old 10-03-2009, 12:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Today is the one year anniversary of my great grandmother's death. Even though she was 87, her death was unexpected. As my grandpa said, we all expected her to live until 100. I was super close to her and had spoken to her just 2 days before she died. I was able to say goodbye to her before she died in the hospital but I refused to look at her in the casket. I went through major denial. I KNEW she had passed away, but in my head it didn't make sense that she could really be gone. I almost had a break down. BUT I was finally able to grieve and accept that she was gone through a lot of music and some therapy. I'm in such a better and healthy place today. She's with me where ever I go and I'm going to celebrate her life today.

JTIS.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveFM View Post
Today is the one year anniversary of my great grandmother's death. Even though she was 87, her death was unexpected. As my grandpa said, we all expected her to live until 100. I was super close to her and had spoken to her just 2 days before she died. I was able to say goodbye to her before she died in the hospital but I refused to look at her in the casket. I went through major denial. I KNEW she had passed away, but in my head it didn't make sense that she could really be gone. I almost had a break down. BUT I was finally able to grieve and accept that she was gone through a lot of music and some therapy. I'm in such a better and healthy place today. She's with me where ever I go and I'm going to celebrate her life today.

JTIS.
This post makes me smile Healing is so underrated sometimes.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking

"THERE'S no fighting in the WAR Room!..."

JTIS "How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb."

(a.k.a. "Dr. Strangelove.")
Old 10-07-2009, 10:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have absolutely no motivation for classes this week.

It's been cold and dreary all week so far. Friday couldn't come soon enough.

I actually decided last minute to go home this weekend! We have "fall break" which basically means that we have Monday & Tuesday off so naturally I'm taking Friday off as well.
I'll be flying because it takes nine hours by car... and as much as I would love to listen to Fleetwood Mac/Stevie Nicks for nine solid hours, by myself, singing at the top of my lungs... I'd rather just fly. It's quicker, although 28593x more expensive.

JTIS!
Old 10-07-2009, 10:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMlex View Post
I hear ya. This week is death week.... especially since I have a five day weekend this coming weekend. Which means a two day week next week. The week after that is homecoming. The week after that is the one prior to Halloween and I'll only be at school for 4 days because Maris is coming on Thursday.

So basically, if I survive the next two days (doubtful), all hard things about October are over. Too bad I have four tests tomorrow, three tests Friday and a huge King Lear essay due Friday that I am ABSOLUTELY SCREWED for.

I hate this.

BUTTTTTTTTTTTT Marissa comes three weeks from tomorrow.
JTIS.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile Celebrity Sightings

I'm in the Cape Cod area this weekend for my brother's wedding and today I went to Martha's Vineyard with some of my family.

We heard Carly Simon owned a store there, but who da thunk she'd actually be in there just hanging out when we walked in. I tried really hard not to gawk as did everyone else in the store at the time, but it was pretty surreal being there, literally 3 feet away. My aunt managed to make eye contact and said hello, but that was as much as we all had the nerve to say.

Then about 3 hours later we're all sitting on the street eating ice cream and Bill Murray walks by with his family, or at least we think it was his family.

I never have random celebrity experiences, so to have 2 within just a few hours was pretty insane.

Oh, also I heard Holiday Road in one of the stores I walked into. So of course I hung around till the song played out.

JTIS
Old 10-10-2009, 09:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMlex View Post

It's been cold and dreary all week so far. Friday couldn't come soon enough.

I actually decided last minute to go home this weekend! We have "fall break" which basically means that we have Monday & Tuesday off so naturally I'm taking Friday off as well.
I'll be flying because it takes nine hours by car... and as much as I would love to listen to Fleetwood Mac/Stevie Nicks for nine solid hours, by myself, singing at the top of my lungs... I'd rather just fly. It's quicker, although 28593x more expensive.

JTIS!

How cold is cold in Texas? It snowed in Wisconsin today.

JTIS

Would it last forever? You and I together, hand in hand
we run away♥