Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Present Band
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-13-2019, 09:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Dublin - Shane!

So something big and great happened during the Pretenders set (they are opening at these June dates). The Pretenders wheeled out on stage the great Shane MacGowan! Many tweeted that was the highlight of the evening and he dueted on I’ve got you babe with Chrissie Hynde. There are some recordings floating on the interwebs.

Otherwise, fully expect the reviews to go back from realistic and scathing ones on the continent to more controlled again and to ridiculously glowing about band members looks or happiness without that big bad Lindsey now when the shows moved back to the English speaking territory.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 06-14-2019, 07:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I've seen a couple of fairly positive reviews of the Dublin show. I don't know about any other UK ledgies, but I'm not feeling any twinges of regret about not going to Wembley. Had Lindsey walked out of the band or been incapacitated and then replaced, I would have felt differently. It's still FM and although I have loved nearly every incarnation of the band, my heart wouldn't have been in it.

Added to this is the fact that some of the most interesting set selections have been dropped. I don't blame the band for that so much- more the ignorance of the majority of the audiences they attract...

But hey, Shane McGowan! I was lucky enough to see him perform with the Pogues in a Christmas show at the Brixton Academy a number of years ago, and he was on top form.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Can never quibble with I Got You Babe.
Old 06-16-2019, 03:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Mike Campbell with Sharon and Marylin cover The Pogues' Dirty Old Town;

https://www.buzz.ie/music/watch-flee...ld-town-329437

Buzz.ie

Rock icons Fleetwood Mac arrived in Ireland this week for their highly anticipated gig at the RDS arena.
The line up was missing Lyndsey Buckingham but the band consisting of Mick Fleetwood, John McVie, Stevie Nicks and Christine McVie along with newcomers Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers' Mick Campbell and Crowded House's Neil Finn delivered a memorable gig that absolutely thrilled attendees.

In the lead up to the gig guitarist Campbell was seen buzzing around Dublin city and even posted a photo of himself on Nassau street outside Knobs and Knockers.

Following the epic gig in the RDS in Dublin he took to Instagram yet again to share he and the band's rendition of Dirty Old Town paying tribute to Shane McGowan and the Pogues.

He wrote.: "Bathroom Jam Volume 55 Coming to you from Dublin ..the knobs and knockers with special guest Jethro Beaudine on the fiddle… A tribute to Shane and the Pogues… It IS a dirty old knob town!" referencing both the Dublin shop and his band The Dirty Knobs.

The cover is absolutely gorgeous that offers a American country style twist on the classic Irish tune.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood