User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-19-2003, 07:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question Tusk DVD-A

Page 5 of the 4/03 issue (number 193) of ICE magazine has an article about RHINO'S plans for some DVD Audios and when it discusses ones "in the works" it doesn't list "Tusk" there but it has it listed at the end of the article as an "other early stage potential". Hmm...

I know we originally heard it was to be Ken's 5.1 Entertainment to do it so I wonder if he's working with Rhino on this or if they have decided to do it instead of 5.1 or what?

Oh well, whoever does it, at least it's another report stating that it "may" happen "sometime soon" so not to get our hopes up but it "strengthens the case" anyways.

John
Old 03-19-2003, 07:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up Thanks for the info...

John, But listing it as "other early stage potential" sounds very vague...

I hope it shows up sometime this year. I know Pink Floyd's "Dark Side Of The Moon" is being released this month as a DVD-A...Can't wait to hear it in 5.1 surround sound, Brian J.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 03-19-2003, 07:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile Brian

Oh yeah I know, I didn't think it would be THAT soon (I agree that it does sound vague etc.), just thought it was interesting that it might be Rhino as oppossed to 5.1 doing it etc.

John
Old 03-20-2003, 07:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I believe that Neil(nodmod) had received an e-mail from Ken several weeks ago regarding the progress of Christine's solo album. Ken also mentioned in that same e-mail that he was mixing the Tusk DVD-audio right now. I also wonder what ever happened to the DVD-audio for the White Album. But, I am really looking forward to hearing Tusk in the DVD-audio format. I hope it's released sooner than what it sounds like it will be.
Old 03-24-2003, 10:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

This is an old post, sorry for the bump up-!

Rhino and 5.1 are working on the DVD-A in conjunction. Ken and 5.1 are mixing it, but will hand it to Rhino for the distribution and marketing (not that there will be really any promotion at all for it).

Rhino is the main reissue "arm" of WEA- they do the vast majority of reissues, as well as a great number of compilations, for the WEA catalog (including FM's Very Best of). All five of the majors have separate labels under their umbrella that are in charge of reissues. Sony's, for example, is Legacy, which is probably the best in the business- they recently remastered all of AC/DC's catalog for Epic, and the CDs are a thing of beauty- the sound, the packaging- great.

However, that's off the subject- basically, 5.1's job is to mix the CD, and then Rhino will take care of the manufacturing and distribution.

-Hayley
Old 03-24-2003, 11:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question

Well, I'm sure you're right Hayley but if this IS to be the case, then I wonder why Rhino didn't do the distribution for the "Rumours" DVD Audio then? I checked the packaging on mine and there's no mention of Rhino anywhere on it, just Warners. So I guess these others may just fall in to a gray area for the distribution deals or something. Well, we'll find out soon hopefully.

John
Old 03-24-2003, 12:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hi John,

I hadn't thought about Rhino not doing the Rumours DVD-A. You're right, though- it just falls into those gray areas in distribution. The gray areas in this business can be very, very large sometimes ;)

It's probably going through Rhino now instead of Warners because of WEA's restructuring. In the last year or so, a lot of WEA's distribution has been restructured, cut, and/or radically changed. I'm sure now they're focusing the vast majority of reissues on Rhino, which is why VBOFM was released on Rhino instead of Warners, where it probably would have been released through if it had been out a couple of years before.

Rhino does a good job- these kind of releases tend to get lost in the shuffle when distributed by a larger arm like Warners.

-H :)
Old 03-24-2003, 01:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile HAYLEY

Yeah that makes sense and I agree Rhino does do a good job on their reissues, I sure hope they will come around soon on remastering the Mac back catalog (as the last time I had correspondence with David McLees at Rhino, they had no plans to do anything with FM's CD's due to the fact they felt (then) that FM needed to be on another label before they remastered them) but I guess we'll have to wait and see on that as well.

John
Old 03-25-2003, 09:43 PM
Senior Ledgie

Hopefully, Ken does a better job at mixing Tusk than Rumours. While the majority of the Rumours' DVD-A mixes are "decent" to very good, he really did a poor job on GYOW. Actually, the first word that comes to mind for the mix as a whole is "inconsistent."

All you have to do is listen to the Hotel California DVD-A to hear how good DVD-A can be. Hopefully, the same can be said for the upcoming Dark Side of the Moon SACD multichannnel mix.