Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-25-2021, 05:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Two musicians are conspicuously absent from the lineup. One is Fleetwood Mac bassist John McVie. Why wasn’t he there? “Because he’s a Scotsman,” Fleetwood answers with a laugh, “and they’re known to be very thrifty.” He hints that McVie wasn’t willing to perform for the amount of money he was offered.
This is surprising not because of what it says about John and money but because of what it says about John and Peter Green. John wasn’t willing to participate in a one-night-only tribute to the guy who insisted he join Fleetwood Mac in 1967? Rather odd, that. But now that I think about it, John’s comments over the years about Peter show substantially less admiration than Mick’s comments do. In fact, Christine, Mick, Rick Vito, and even Lindsey have been more vocal in their praise of Peter than John usually was. Could it be that John had no warm feelings for Peter in all these decades?

Quote:
Green was born Peter Alan Greenbaum in 1946, shortly before anti-Jewish demonstrations and riots broke out across Britain. The guitarist had “a relatively unpleasant childhood, being Jewish in London,” Fleetwood notes. “He felt ostracized and abused as a young chap.” Green gravitated to the blues, the drummer hypothesizes, because it was music about being in pain.
This is the first I’ve really heard Mick or anyone else in Fleetwood Mac specifically discuss the Jewish Greenbaums and the postwar antisemitism in the UK. In the past, Mick just said Peter was Jewish, and that was that.

Quote:
In the 2009 documentary “Man of the World: The Peter Green Story,” former manager Clifford Davis describes feeling heartbroken when he shared a meal with an unkempt Green . . . .
I’ve never seen this doc. Why have I never seen this doc?

Quote:
“He had no regard for who and what he had been or could be musically anymore. At that point, I realized I needed to let go. It’s painful, but it pays no dividends to you or the person you’re trying to hang on to.”
I know Mick meant that figuratively, but he’s precisely the wrong guy to use that turn of phrase in anything but a literal context. That’s a howler, Mick.

Quote:
“My English pipe dream, sitting on top of a mushroom, would be that everyone who’s ever played in Fleetwood Mac would be welcome.
Now here’s a Fleetwood Mac show I would go out of my way to attend — the chance to see Fleetwood and Nicks and the McVies and so on standing side by side with Green, Kirwan, Weston, Brunning, and Welch. Who could pass that up?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 03-25-2021, 05:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

David, you’re right about John’s increasing ambivalence towards Green through the years. As journalist Steve Clarke once noted, both John and Christine insisted Bob Welch was more central to the band than Green, if not more celebrated. (Sad, the outcome of THAT....). John has always been weary of Green and his erratic post-FM behavior. At one point, in the late 70s, he claimed trying to help Green was like trying to keep water in a sponge.

Christine’s praise of Green has to do with his musical legacy and his appearance and personality before the mental break.
Old 03-25-2021, 06:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
John wasn’t willing to participate in a one-night-only tribute to the guy who insisted he join Fleetwood Mac in 1967?
Maybe the real reason was John didn't have the strength to go through the travel and rehearsal. Covid was a big story in February 2020 too so maybe John was advised by a doctor not to travel. Mick may not have wanted to put that out there out of respect to John's privacy so he used money as the factor.

Could also be the same for Billy Burnette too. I've read here that he's not in good shape. Rick is in fine shape.

I don't know why Stevie wasn't there. She could've done BMW! I think she mentioned wanting to do Rattlesnake Shake in RollingStone back in 2018.
Old 03-25-2021, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
Maybe the real reason was John didn't have the strength to go through the travel and rehearsal. Covid was a big story in February 2020 too so maybe John was advised by a doctor not to travel. Mick may not have wanted to put that out there out of respect to John's privacy so he used money as the factor.

Could also be the same for Billy Burnette too. I've read here that he's not in good shape. Rick is in fine shape.

I don't know why Stevie wasn't there. She could've done BMW! I think she mentioned wanting to do Rattlesnake Shake in RollingStone back in 2018.
God, don't make me hate Rattlesnake Shake, too.
Old 03-25-2021, 10:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
God, don't make me hate Rattlesnake Shake, too.
If your life wasn’t good to you ....

She’d probably have to change a few words in Rattlesnake Shake to make it more optimistic.
Old 03-25-2021, 11:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I would like to hear Mack’s exact words. I do not need the writer to paraphrase, here. Being “thrifty” is not the same as being greedy. Thrifty indicates that John did not want to spend his own money. Was he being called upon to do so in some way?
Old 03-26-2021, 04:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post

She’d probably have to change a few words in Rattlesnake Shake to make it more optimistic.

If she thought Tusk was vulgar, there's no way she could handle Rattlesnake Shake...
Old 03-26-2021, 05:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tango87 View Post
If she thought Tusk was vulgar, there's no way she could handle Rattlesnake Shake...
Haha right. She was so repulsed by Come also. I guess she isn’t aware of what happens to conclude a rattlesnake shake.
Old 03-26-2021, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tango87 View Post
Please, like she even knows what she's singing about anymore. That passion of being in the moment is long gone for her. She doesn't create, she regurgitates.
Old 03-26-2021, 11:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I really hope Mick isn't hinting at some sort of touring model that the stones did a few years back where they had mick taylor come out for a few numbers and that was it.

If that's the only way they can get Stevie to agree to participate, I hope he tells them to pack sand.
Old 03-26-2021, 11:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Maybe John didn’t wish to join the concert as he saw it as a typical Mick money making scheme.
And didn’t wish to travel half the way round the world just to line Mick’s pockets ..
I am sure John didn’t turn it down because he’s tight.
His health isn’t too good, And he’s as Scottish as Rod Stewart....both born in London..
Old 03-26-2021, 12:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post

I’ve never seen this doc. Why have I never seen this doc?
It's pretty good. Though it's focused on Peter, it really covers the entire band. Its more of a Fleetwood Mac doc with a higher than average focus on Peter- a bit like the Christine McVie documentary (in fact, I wonder if they were made by the same people???).
I guess its particularly notable as Jeremy meets up in person to discuss Peter with Mick and John.
I think its on Youtube

I'd like to think perhaps Mick made that comment about John tongue in cheek.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 03-26-2021, 01:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Mick said it was not about an ultimatum. It was more like taking a breath. That made the break sound temporary. A pause before exhalation rather than a permanent thing.
Old 03-26-2021, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Mick said it was not about an ultimatum. It was more like taking a breath. That made the break sound temporary. A pause before exhalation rather than a permanent thing.
Yes, and you've (we've) seen this move before. He's going to at least try to set this back up.
If he admits the truth that $tevie gave an ultimatum, GAME OVER. What's funny is: He just admitted it by saying, "He doesn't look at it like that. (Even though that's what it was.)

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 03-26-2021 at 01:51 PM..
Old 03-26-2021, 02:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue View Post
Maybe John didn’t wish to join the concert as he saw it as a typical Mick money making scheme.
And didn’t wish to travel half the way round the world just to line Mick’s pockets ..
I am sure John didn’t turn it down because he’s tight.
His health isn’t too good, And he’s as Scottish as Rod Stewart....both born in London..
I agree. I haven't seen the entire tribute concert but from the clips it looks really lame. I'll wait until it's steaming for free.