User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:45 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
I don't think they meant to frame it that way. Most bands use their popularity to gauge whether or not another project is going to be worthwhile, and record sales are still going to be a part of measuring people's interest. People want to make enough money to at least cover their recording costs and feel compensated for their time working. I think that's fair enough.

They may not have meant to frame it like that but there it is! Surprised that Mick or Lindsey haven't spoken up to soften it.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
They may not have meant to frame it like that but there it is! Surprised that Mick or Lindsey haven't spoken up to soften it.
I don't think it is "there", though. It's not "blackmail", it's just the honest and sometimes unpleasant acknowledgement of living in a capitalist society. After all, Buckingham Nicks didn't record another album because of low sales. Was their record company blackmailing us back then, too? I suppose you could argue the point, but I don't see it that way.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:51 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
That is abysmal, especially for new product under the name Fleetwood Mac. I was hoping that the EP would've sold at least 20-25K units by now, but considering the fact that this was an Indie release, quietly distributed via Itunes & Amazon for digital download only, I guess that I shouldn't be all that surprised. But whoever overlooked the opportunity to sell hard copy CD's of this EP at their merchadise table should be shot, because otherwise I would anticipate that they could've easily sold between 10-20K more copies by now to the fans (mostly older) who'd be more drawn to a physical copy. I have to think that the 10K+ units sold so far only further perpetuates Stevie's notion that the majority of people do not want new music, much less a full length record.

Not that I ever believed for a minute that she would change her mind & decide to record a full record with FM again anyway. I think similar to BTM, Stevie feels the same towards SYW - that they tried it without the "Rumours" era five, and it didn't have the same magic, and it didn't necessarily work in her mind. I think Stevie would only record a full record with FM again only if Chris came back (which will probably never happen.)

Stevie is staying true to what she said during many of her Q&A's for the IYD screenings, intently aware that she is getting on in age, and stated that she planned to start shortening her projects. This EP was her way of shortening the year of Fleetwood Mac, otherwise they'd be promoting a new CD for 2 years.
Christopher, You really should be their manager! They need someone who is "Pro-active", because they let so many oportunities pass them by. It's "us" fans that are wanting them to succeed, much, more than the band themselves unfortunately! They can still sell the EP at their remaining shows around the world which will help sales. Who is managing them at the moment anyway, I can't remember?
Old 05-30-2013, 12:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

interesting discussions!

i'm puzzled by all the calls for putting out the physical copy. i've made a CD out of downloaded version, added some other FM songs, and now usually listen to it in my car. so if you want the physical copy, why not do that? or do you really crave that generic photoshop cover that much?

if most of FM members do not care about sales, as they seem not to judging by their non-promotion of availability of different downloads (none of their official sources list amazon availability, for example, just direct you to itunes), then why in the world would they care for another possible 10,000 copies they could sell if they had physical CD, and go through all the hassle of actually putting it out?

i'm thinking we should poll people here with some of these questions:
  • did you buy Extended Play?
  • on amazon or itunes?
  • just one / two songs or the whole EP?
  • would you buy a physical copy?
  • when you have a choice of download or physical copy which one do you prefer?

i can give you my answers:
  • did you buy Extended Play? yes.
  • on amazon or itunes? both. (although if i knew it would be available on amazon, i would wait and skip itunes)
  • just one song or the whole EP? whole EP
  • would you buy a physical copy? probably not (although i bought almost every available format of SWS and Songs from the Small Machine Live in LA, other than vinyl since i don't own record player).
  • when you have a choice of download or physical copy which one do you prefer? download. i'm all for instant gratification. i want the stuff NOW. unless it's itunes movie, than i'll buy DVD or blu-ray too. and although i hear and am annoyed when someone is off-key (recent Rumours outtakes anyone?), i don't hear or notice all the production nuances that others seem to be so up in arms about. guess our ears catch different frequencies .

if you chose not to download EP, is it because:
  1. didn't like the songs / snippets i heard
  2. didn't like the production
  3. not enough Stevie
  4. no Christine
  5. no Peter Green
  6. i am really not FM fan

(i tried to list what i saw in itunes reviews, as well as here, as a reason for people not liking the album).

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-30-2013, 12:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
interesting discussions!

i'm puzzled by all the calls for putting out the physical copy. i've made a CD out of downloaded version, added some other FM songs, and now usually listen to it in my car. so if you want the physical copy, why not do that? or do you really crave that generic photoshop cover that much?

if most of FM members do not care about sales, as they seem not to judging by their non-promotion of availability of different downloads (none of their official sources list amazon availability, for example, just direct you to itunes), then why in the world would they care for another possible 10,000 copies they could sell if they had physical CD, and go through all the hassle of actually putting it out?

• on amazon or itunes?

• on amazon or itunes? both. (although if i knew it would be available on amazon, i would wait and skip itunes)
  • would you buy a physical copy? probably not (although i bought almost every available format of SWS and Songs from the Small Machine Live in LA, other than vinyl since i don't own record player).
  • when you have a choice of download or physical copy which one do you prefer? download. i'm all for instant gratification. i want the stuff NOW. unless it's itunes movie, than i'll buy DVD or blu-ray too. and although i hear and am annoyed when someone is off-key (recent Rumours outtakes anyone?), i don't hear or notice all the production nuances that others seem to be so up in arms about. guess our ears catch different frequencies .

3. not enough Stevie
  4. no Christine
  5. no Peter Green

(i tried to list what i saw in itunes reviews, as well as here, as a reason for people not liking the album).
*did you buy Extended Play? Yes
*on amazon or itunes? iTunes
*just one / two songs or the whole EP? Whole EP
*would you buy a physical copy? If it was released, yes.
*when you have a choice of download or physical copy which one do you prefer? Download, because as you said elle, instant gratification.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
interesting discussions!

• on amazon or itunes?

3. not enough Stevie
  4. no Christine
  5. no Peter Green

One more:

7. I don't download, not ever, for anything, or apparently now, any one or any band. I also don't buy things that aren't already assembled. Same philosophy. Why should I pay and then have to pay more, and especially, to spend more of my time to create my own physical copy? And I'm certainly not going to allow some "entity" to tell me how many times and to what machine I am allowed to copy the stuff. It's not about the artwork.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
  • on amazon or itunes?
  • did you buy Extended Play? yes
  • on amazon or itunes? iTunes (but would have done Amazon if I had known it was going to be released there as well)
  • just one / two songs or the whole EP? whole EP
  • would you buy a physical copy? yes. probably more than one.
  • when you have a choice of download or physical copy which one do you prefer? Physical, for sure. I like having the lyric booklets and liner notes and all of that jazz. I don't mind downloading, but I prefer to have it in a physical form as well, if I'm a big fan of the artist. I keep a sort of collection of CD's I really love. So if I download an album and end up really liking it, I'll usually go out and buy a physical copy even though I already have the music.

Putting it out as a physical format wouldn't be all about the sales, imo (at this point, with the amount of promotion it has had [practically none] I don't see how they could logically take the sales to mean anything).. it would be about trying to give the music an audience. As you said, Elle, you can hardly find the music as it is unless you know exactly what to search for. Most casual fans aren't going to spend any amount of time doing that or even bother to begin with. But they certianly might pick up the EP for $5 in line when they are buying a shirt @ a show, and listen to it on the way home.

Last edited by WildHearted; 05-30-2013 at 12:53 PM..
Old 05-30-2013, 01:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekerj View Post
One more:

7. I don't download, not ever, for anything, or apparently now, any one or any band. I also don't buy things that aren't already assembled. Same philosophy. Why should I pay and then have to pay more, and especially, to spend more of my time to create my own physical copy? And I'm certainly not going to allow some "entity" to tell me how many times and to what machine I am allowed to copy the stuff. It's not about the artwork.
This is all fair enough, but I'd like to point out that digital downloads (and flatpack furniture) are almost invariably cheaper than their traditional counterparts. And apple's restrictions are completely bypassed if you burn the file to a CD. If you don't want to do that, ok. I'm just sayin'. Part of the reason I've gotten into digital downloads is they're cheaper and more reflective of how I actually listen to music. I like physical releases and I do sometimes still buy them, but basically I'm paying more for something that just sits on my shelf untouched for years.

Anyway:

did you buy Extended Play? Yes
on amazon or itunes? iTunes
just one / two songs or the whole EP? Whole EP
would you buy a physical copy? No
when you have a choice of download or physical copy which one do you prefer? This answer varies depending on how much I feel like supporting my local high street vs. big evil corporations. But I usually only buy one or the other. Not both.

Last edited by Dex; 05-30-2013 at 01:13 PM..
Old 05-30-2013, 03:10 PM
Senior Ledgie

I want to buy the EP in physical format because that's usually the only way to get lossless, uncompressed music. If the download were available in a lossless format like FLAC, I would have happily purchased it.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:49 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Jeez, it sounds like you're referring to the Time album (which so far, has outsold this new EP) So, in your face, Time-haters!

Old 05-30-2013, 04:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenzo View Post
I want to buy the EP in physical format because that's usually the only way to get lossless, uncompressed music. If the download were available in a lossless format like FLAC, I would have happily purchased it.
I agree 100 percent on that.I've already had my say about this subject earlier .I'm not happy about of todays way of music purchasing .but its better then nothing.In other then Stevie or FM tunes. I'm retired from the music buying era.Unless Vinyl or the physical CD are available.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016

Last edited by Macfanforever; 05-30-2013 at 04:09 PM..
Old 05-30-2013, 04:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekerj View Post
One more:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenzo View Post
just to make sure i understand what you are saying: you did not get new music in the format you prefer, and therefore you don't even want to listen to it.

i think i can understand that. for some ears, you just can't stand certain kind of noise. my husband is like that. he can't stand listening to the recorded live music on youtube, or over the phone speakers. so i'm guessing it bothers you so much that you cannot hear every single sound that was made / originally recorded / mixed / mastered that would be available in some kind of lossless format, that you would rather hear nothing at all from your favorite band.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-30-2013, 04:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

What I'm so surprised about this is Stevie is not into the internet thing as we know it plus I dont know much if the guys of FM are into it.What shock me is they went that route.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 05-30-2013, 04:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
What I'm so surprised about this is Stevie is not into the internet thing as we know it plus I dont know much if the guys of FM are into it.What shock me is they went that route.
your internet gripes while using that same internet to post them amuse me to no end.

we know that both Mick and Lindsey own and apparently extensively use their iphones.

and remember, Stevie gifts ipods with bunch of music on them to wounded soldiers.

so they all know their way around apple products, i suspect.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, people do still buy Fleetwood Mac records. Rumours sold 2,700 copies this week and is back on the Billboard 200.