Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Peter Green
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-02-2004, 06:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Haha,

To be honest it was THE first thing I thought of.... We all know Mick and he's a very old friend of Peter's......

I wasn't going to be the one to post it!!!!

But as Chili has gone in and said it I have to say as soon as I saw the announcment of Peter's leaving I had Pip's picture of Peter and Mick at Earls Court in my head... Hmmmmm.............

We wait for news.......

p.s Peter Green and Eric Clapton playing together..... now THATS a nice thought!!!
Old 01-03-2004, 11:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The first thing I thought when I read the headline on the official website was about Peter leaving SG was: "WOW, IS HE GOING SOLO??"

But then I thought I was a bit naive. How could he do it? As far I know he hasn't written any new material since joining SG. And you can't build your career on covering old blues classics (But I DO think that he does it excellent, and that "Blues Don't Change" is a good album).

However, SG seems like a stable, supporting setting for him. And if he decides to leave them, I hope he is strong enough to be on his own.

I read an interview with Mick Fleetwood in Record Collector about their recent "Say You Will" album and tour. He was asked if he ever considered recording a pure blues album. He then answered that when the tour was over, he and John McVie wanted to record a blues album with maybe Jeremy Spencer and others...

And Peter !?!? --- I DO HOPE!!

I still think that we, the fans, deserve more than just sitting here trying to guess what has really happened!!

Daniel
Old 01-03-2004, 11:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by dansven
And you can't build your career on covering old blues classics
1) I think Peter is FAR beyond "building a career" , he's a blues LEGEND

2) That's what Peter originally did back in 1966. So did Buddy Guy, BB King, Albert King, Freddie King, Eric Clapton, Mike Bloomfield, John Mayall, The Rolling Stones (among more than I can mention), too. It CAN be done...and done often.
Old 01-03-2004, 05:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hello again,

concerning the lack of original material, then I can say (and this is a confirmed thing) that some time ago, about the same time "Destiny Road" came out, Peter's brother Michael wrote an album worth of songs for Peter.

They recorded some demos and as far as I'm concerned (Martin himself confirmed) Peter's playing was totally different to what he was/is doing with the SG.

Far and away more upfront and improvising, very close to what he could do back in the Mac's days.

On the negative side, then I don't believe Peter can really built a new band by himself........and the show at the Royal Albert Hall will be something like Bill Wyman band backing some guest, including Chris Rea, Eric Clapton and Peter Green; difficult say if Eric and Peter planned to record together..........I truly believe that's it's far and away more possible something like a studio reunion of Mac's original line-up to record a totally blues album........maybe with Christine on keyboards. Mick Fleetwood very often talked about it and in the dvd interview Martin Celmins did with J.Spencer this is cleary mentioned.

And I think if this will happen, then after this Peter will be back to the Splinter Group

Sorry for my average English...

Mario.
Old 01-03-2004, 07:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hi again!

ChiliD:
1) I was referring to the possibility for Peter going solo, starting a new project entirely on his own. Maybe "career" wasn't the right word but I feel that a step like that would require some original material. SG has this with its three songwriters, Nigel, Roger and Stroudie.

2)Things were quite different in the 60s.. Clapton, The Stones, Mayall, BB - all are legends. However, they deliver their own material today, for example Claptons "Reptile" album.

Mario:
Yeah, I heard about the demos with Peter's brother. I would love to hear it. Michael has proved his abilities as a songwriter before. Although a troubled period for Peter, his albums in the late 70s and 80s have strong material on them.

I also know that Rory Gallagher's brother, Donal, has asked if Peter was interested to put music to some of his lyrics. I don't know if anything has happened though.. Peter has also mentioned the material that is ledt from the "End Of The Game" sessions of 1970, and that he thought of doing some new overdubs on it now and maybe release some of it. Now that would have been something!! "The End Of The Game II"!!

By the way, I see that the "Peter Green leaves SG..." message on the official website is no longer there...

Daniel
Old 01-04-2004, 06:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes,

about "The End Of The Game" I can confirm that Peter wanted to hear the whole session, but, as far as I know, nobody knows where the original master tapes are!

Also, as the "Peter Green leaves" is not longer available on the PGSG, I think we will have news shortly.

Mario.