User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-12-2015, 04:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Thumbs up Nothing Ever Changes

I think Nothing Ever Changes is the most underrated Stevie song EVER. Let me explain why. I say its underrated because Stevie did not put it on Enchanted and it has never been performed live either. I never hear or read anyone talk about it during a review of Wild Heart or Stevie's career in general.
Now what makes it the perfect song for me. Let me count the reasons.

Musically its a strong rocker. This song used to get HEAVY radio play on my local rock station in the summer of 1983. I really thought and hoped this would be the third single from Wild Heart. Its so catchy. I almost had to be committed to a mental institution when Nightbird was released instead Talk about a way to kill a super great album. I know some love or like Nightbird but lets be honest. It is NOT a radio single. It has no catchy lines for anyone to sing to

Wow listen to the drumming on this song. Don Felder on guitar makes this tune explode. Stevie's voice is in peak form. She is practically yelling in parts but still sounds sensational. The over dubbing in parts with Stevie's voice in some layers here and there is pure genius in this song. Jimmy Iovine kicked butt on this song. I would never think a saxophone would sound good in a Stevie song but it definitely belongs here and takes the song to another level.

Now to the lyrics.
(such anger here)

Is it me that's driving you to this madness

Take a look at your life and your lovers.....nothing ever changes

I can be the dancer of all your dreams
I can turn all your music on
I can make you feel alive
I am gone but never gone from you

I love the "Nothing can be saved here" line

The demo never had the "little boy" part but its pure brilliance to be added to the song.

As you can tell I was so bitter at age 13 the world never got to hear this song as a single. I would many times imagine what an awesome video would go with this song. I think its one of Stevie's best songs in her solo career. Its so powerful and so darn catchy. It adds wildness to the Wild Heart. Can you imagine Wild Heart without this song? IMHO, this song adds dimension to the album and without it Wild Heart would have not been so wild. I have a sister who hated Stevie Nicks music in the 80's but liked this song.

What do you guys think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W49WWsDokao

Last edited by Macfan4life; 08-12-2015 at 05:53 PM..
Old 08-12-2015, 05:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love The Wild Heart and this song is one of the standouts for me. I think it should've been the third single, arguably the second. It's just so good.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It is most DEFINITELY one of her best songs EVER, and yes I cannot imagine "Wild Heart" without this gem. Until you mentioned it, I had never noticed that it wasn't on "Enchanted". It's one of those brilliant moments in her career that has seemed to slip between the cracks, even to herself apparently.

It's one of those straightforward hard rock songs that she is rarely known for, even though she's so good at writing/interpreting them. "Violet & Blue" being another good example from this time period.

Perhaps it was denied as a single because it was TOO hard rock? At the time, she was basically known for the witchy, airy fairy Fleetwood Mac singles of "Rhiannon", "Dreams" and "Sara" and it seems they were trying to market her as a pop/rock artist with the singles the chose for "Bella Donna". They even tried to put her on the Country charts with "After The Glitter Fades" which only went to #70 and "Leather & Lace" which didn't even chart at all in that genre.

Maybe they figured they'd just keep the ethereal pop image (it if ain't broke, don't fix it) so that's why they chose "Nightbird"? Who knows?

But yes, it's a shame that "Nothing Ever Changes" never got its due! Killer song!!!
Old 08-12-2015, 06:59 PM
Senior Ledgie

I totally agree! Nothing Ever Changes is one of the songs I always go to when listening to The Wild Heart. It has always been a fave. She is spitting venom when singing this. I love the rocker Stevie! I remember the rock station in Birmingham, Alabama played it heavily. I wish she would have performed this one live.
I'm sure Stevie will open with Nothing Ever Changes on her next tour. Right?
Old 08-12-2015, 08:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Great Post! This has always been a stand out for me on Wild Heat. The song rocks and her vocals are amazing. I sure miss the early 80's and Miss Nicks "crazy days". I'm glad that I got to see her on the Mirage and Wild Heart tours.

Last edited by BLY; 08-12-2015 at 08:24 PM..
Old 08-12-2015, 11:30 PM
Senior Ledgie

This soooo should have been a single. I remember hearing it on the radio as well, and then when Nightbird came out, the local djs kinda laughed the single off. I recall them saying "Cry for the Nightbird?" .... "Yeah right." Not a good way to sell a single . Until that point, I was hearing Nothing Ever Changes played a lot.

If a song were to be resurrected, this should be one.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I think Nothing Ever Changes is the most underrated Stevie song...

Now to the lyrics.
(such anger here)

Is it me that's driving you to this madness

Take a look at your life and your lovers.....nothing ever changes

I can be the dancer of all your dreams
I can turn all your music on
I can make you feel alive
I am gone but never gone from you

I love the "Nothing can be saved here" line

Can you imagine Wild Heart without this song?

What do you guys think?
Well, not to be contrary but it's my least favorite song on
the album. Take a look at those lyrics again. They look a
little Taylor Swift to me.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
Well, not to be contrary but it's my least favorite song on
the album. Take a look at those lyrics again. They look a
little Taylor Swift to me.
That's a very low blow

Kevin
Old 08-14-2015, 06:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyfan View Post
That's a very low blow

Kevin
Indeed, reminds me of my favorite video featuring "Taylor Swift":

Old 08-24-2015, 07:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

NEC has always been a favorite of mine as well. Her vocals soar on the track. I had this video montage made a couple of years ago so I could play it at NOTS.

VIDEO: https://vimeo.com/68098744
Old 08-25-2015, 06:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
NEC has always been a favorite of mine as well. Her vocals soar on the track. I had this video montage made a couple of years ago so I could play it at NOTS.

VIDEO: https://vimeo.com/68098744
Wow great job. Now only if we could rewind time, convince Modern to release it as a single and get your video on MTV.....the world would be a better place
Old 08-24-2015, 11:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't usually care for saxophones in rock songs, but it works so well on Nothing Ever Changes. I LOVE this song, it should have been a single instead of Nightbird. The sax on Two Kinds of Love didn't have the same effect. Then again, the song is such an insipid mess that nothing could save it.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by He's So Unusual View Post
I don't usually care for saxophones in rock songs, but it works so well on Nothing Ever Changes. I LOVE this song, it should have been a single instead of Nightbird. The sax on Two Kinds of Love didn't have the same effect. Then again, the song is such an insipid mess that nothing could save it.
The sax in Nothing Ever Changes is completely different than Two Kinds of Love. Kenny G is way too whimsicle for rock or even pop. Stevie wanted to work with Kenny G because when she heard Songbird while on tour with the Mac in 1987. She said she was captivated and promised herself to include Kenny on her next solo album. Kenny is talented but not sure he really belonged there. I did not care for 2 kinds of love at first. But that song has captivated me ever since. Stevie does not write many love songs but that is one from the heart.
Having said that.... its not a live song. She did it the entire TOSOTM tour. She should have kept Juliet or played Oooh My love instead.
Old 08-30-2015, 01:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
The sax in Nothing Ever Changes is completely different than Two Kinds of Love. Kenny G is way too whimsicle for rock or even pop.
Yeah, sax for the TOSOTM songs was a mistake. Stevie's music turned into soft jazz. Destiny from Street Angel had the same problem.

But sax worked great in Nothing Ever Changes, Talk to Me, Whole Lotta Trouble, and Thousand Days.