Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-24-2014, 04:36 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default The Pious Bird of Good Omen

I couldn't help but wonder the story behind the cover of this LP, upon researching it I hit a brick wall. Does anyone know the story behind the picture? I know the title is rooted in a 18th century poem.

Side note: It struck me as a mix of Stevie Nicks Bella Donna LP cover/Wild Heart LP cover/ and "Sister Honey" painting by Stevie Nicks. I know I'm comparing apples to oranges, this is just my personal observation. I wouldn't be surprised if Peter was behind it. I really love in the early days, covers were abstract and tantalizing plus each member had their own story with regards to LP covers; John (Bare Trees), Mick (English Rose), Chris (Kiln House).

Thank You!
Old 09-24-2014, 10:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Doesn't seem like any mystery, does it? The albatross on the cover speaks for itself, and of course it ties into the name of the album. And if you know stories about early Fleetwood Mac (perhaps you don't), they were well-known for their attempts to shock their audience with acts and images of questionable taste - the cover of Mr. Wonderful being a case in point...or Google "Harold" in relation to the band - so the pregnant nun on the album cover would be entirely in keeping with that. Don't know that there's anything more to the story than that.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danigirl View Post
I couldn't help but wonder the story behind the cover of this LP, upon researching it I hit a brick wall. Does anyone know the story behind the picture? I know the title is rooted in a 18th century poem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 View Post
Doesn't seem like any mystery, does it? The albatross on the cover speaks for itself, and of course it ties into the name of the album. And if you know stories about early Fleetwood Mac (perhaps you don't), they were well-known for their attempts to shock their audience with acts and images of questionable taste - the cover of Mr. Wonderful being a case in point...or Google "Harold" in relation to the band - so the pregnant nun on the album cover would be entirely in keeping with that. Don't know that there's anything more to the story than that.
here's what wikipedia offers on this matter:
"The title of the album is a phrase found in an 1817 gloss (marginal note) to Samuel Taylor Coleridge's 1798 epic poem The Rime of the Ancient Mariner. The phrase refers to the albatross killed in the poem. ("The ancient Mariner inhospitably killeth the pious bird of good omen.") Its use as an album title as well as the album art is a sly wink to the featuring of the band's number 1 UK hit "Albatross."

and - in conjunction with sharksfan's remarks - this really seems to be it. and lest not forget that terence ibbott (house photographer at blue horizon records) more often than not graced the blue horizon lp covers with rather weird ideas - should you be not in the know, just check out some of them!

martin
Old 09-25-2014, 06:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 View Post
well-known for their attempts to shock their audience with acts and images of questionable taste - the cover of Mr. Wonderful being a case in point...or Google "Harold" in relation to the band
There were stories circulating at the time, that the cover shoot for Mr Wonderful also involved shots of Mick minus the loincloth and a suggested somewhat different title for the album( not that the shot could have ever been used)This may well have been the schoolboy rumour mill in overdrive , with no truth to it , but perhaps Jeremy can confirm or deny ?
Old 09-25-2014, 06:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
There were stories circulating at the time, that the cover shoot for Mr Wonderful also involved shots of Mick minus the loincloth and a suggested somewhat different title for the album( not that the shot could have ever been used)This may well have been the schoolboy rumour mill in overdrive , with no truth to it , but perhaps Jeremy can confirm or deny ?
Only thing I know of is the "Udder Sucker" title & cover with Mick looking at, let's just say, the underside of a cow, but this was rejected.

John
Old 09-25-2014, 10:29 AM
Senior Ledgie

A pregnant nun? Hmmmm, see I couldn't have distinguished that with my own eyes. To me the figure looks somewhat docile yet somehow morbid. Which relays the poem well. Thank you all.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I thought the Mr. Wonderful and the English Rose covers were meant to be a matching pair of sorts.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:09 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcamelfood View Post
Only thing I know of is the "Udder Sucker" title & cover with Mick looking at, let's just say, the underside of a cow, but this was rejected.

John
My favorite is Bread & Kunny, proposed title for Then Play On. Obviously Then Play On is the better name based on the cover art and the tracks, but I laugh at the idea of Bread & Kunny every time!
Old 10-06-2014, 04:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesPaul7 View Post
My favorite is Bread & Kunny, proposed title for Then Play On. Obviously Then Play On is the better name based on the cover art and the tracks, but I laugh at the idea of Bread & Kunny every time!
LOL! Dread to think what the cover they wanted for Bread & Cunny was!

John
Old 10-06-2014, 09:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcamelfood View Post
LOL! Dread to think what the cover they wanted for Bread & Cunny was!

John
Goodness, the imagination runs wild.

Michele