The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Let's Show Some Love For... Heroes Are Hard To Find!

Lucky me, my import orders for HAHTF and MTM came through a few days ago. I collected them on Saturday, and I've already played each album three times! They're both simply amazing albums! Maybe not flawless (I personally think "She's Changing Me" was a little too conventional, but it's still a great song), but nonetheless worthy of our deep appreciation. So let's hear it for HAHTF!
NB. Not necessarily in that order...
Old 01-30-2010, 08:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Hmm...given that I think this is Fleetwood Mac's best album in 43 years it is interesting that no-one else is showing any love for it...
Old 01-30-2010, 10:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I think it's an excellent album. Bob has some great song on it. 'Silver Heels' and 'Angel' are two favorites. It also has one of my very favorite songs by Christine, 'Prove Your Love'.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I first bought this album in 1983, when I was 12. It was my first pre-BN FM album and I was stunned. Though only half a year earlier than the White Album, it was as if it were an entirely different band with an entirely different conception of how to make music. Years on, when my ears became attuned to the Fleetwood-McVie-McVie core trio sound, I could hear a lot of later FM in this record, but at the time, the arrangements and the songs themselves shocked me.

My first impressions were that Bob Welch could not sing well, that some of his songs were muddy, that the arrangements on Christine's two songs on side one were disastrous, and that there was a general lack of energy throughout the record.

I realize now I was just a young kid who grew up on corporate rock bands like Journey and Boston and who knew very little about the more subtle, sophisticated music that one hears on HAHTF. It took me a while, but now I regard this collection of songs to be among the band's best--at least in terms of the writing. I still think some of the performances lack energy. But Bermuda Triangle, Prove Your Love, Bad Loser, and Angel are among my most cherished Mac tunes.

Come a Little Bit Closer would be wonderful if it were just Christine with a piano or just her voice with Bob on an acoustic guitar. The only song that feels forced here is She's Changing Me, which sounds as if the band were pushing Bob to write a ditty.

About a month after I bought HAHTF, I purchased Penguin and loved that one instantly. In fact, I loved that record so much that it restored my faith in pre BN albums. Still, at the time, I remember thinking all of the songs on Penguin--including the Derelict, but minus I'm a Roadrunner--had a genuine energy and spirit that, I initially did not hear in HAHTF. Interestingly enough, that spirit is evident in spades when one hears live versions of the Heroes' band.

Last edited by aleuzzi; 01-30-2010 at 11:49 PM..
Old 01-31-2010, 03:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Still, at the time, I remember thinking all of the songs on Penguin--including the Derelict...
Thank you, you know I'd have been insulted if you hadn't included it
Old 02-01-2010, 12:31 AM
Ledgie

Hello All: I picked up "Heroes" a few years ago. My first impression was along the lines of "well-written, but under-produced". Guess I was expecting something more along the lines of "Tango in the Night". That being said, I've come to really love it. It might be the strongest collection of Bob Welch songs during his FM years. Most assuredly belongs in the music collection of every Mac fan! Best regards, Madelow.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:33 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Heroes are Hard to Find: Good or Bad

Ok so there's a little music store where I live that also sells old records and they have Heroes are Hard to Find and it's been there forever. However I don't know how good it is since I've never listened to it and it has some bad ratings. Since everyone here is an FM fan i would like to know how you guys like it and if I should buy it or not.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes, you should buy it. Bermuda Triangle is one of the best songs FM has ever put out. Plus, Christine's got some great songs on that album too, including Prove Your Love.

I don't think you can go wrong with this purchase.

Michele
Old 02-08-2013, 12:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

Yeah, its a pretty good album. Its not my fav of that era, but still worth buying. I agree that Bermuda Triangle is an amazing song. HAHTf is a must listen for a FM fan.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantgoback View Post
Ok so there's a little music store where I live that also sells old records and they have Heroes are Hard to Find and it's been there forever. However I don't know how good it is since I've never listened to it and it has some bad ratings. Since everyone here is an FM fan i would like to know how you guys like it and if I should buy it or not.
YES!!! This is better than pretty much anything that came before it or after it.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantgoback View Post
If you like Christine, you should definitely buy it!
Old 02-08-2013, 10:40 AM
Junior Ledgie

I bought HAHTF as soon as it came out, but it was hard for me to really ever get into it. I think that the biggest issue was that it came in on the heels of MTM, and that is an almost impossible act to follow.

It is my least favorite Bob Welch FM album, which is not to say it's bad: it just has some really tough competition.

That said, maybe I'll pull out the old vinyl and give it another listen as we brace for the storm about to hit us here in the NE USA.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't compare Fleetwood Mac albums against each other, especially since a lot them have very different line ups. As such, some albums stand alone, and the Heroes are Hard to Find album is very distinctive in that case.

After numerous configurations, they were down to just four members and at a pivotal point of transition. While Christine stayed consistent to her pop style, Bob Welch was pushing a deeper, into more sophisticated waters. It made the album more darker and challenging.

Did they ever perform any shows for this album? All I know of is the TV special they did. That show featured some support players; I recall an additional keyboard player and guitarist.

I've come to appreciate the album more over the years.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:00 PM
Junior Ledgie

I recall them performing "Bermuda Triangle", but I'm not sure if it was before or after the release of the album.

I also remember them performing it on one of the late night TV rock shows at the time.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
Did they ever perform any shows for this album? All I know of is the TV special they did. That show featured some support players; I recall an additional keyboard player and guitarist.

The went through two additional keyboardists: Bobby Hunt and Doug Graves. There were no other guitarists.

THE Stephen Hopkins