The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-13-2014, 10:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Having read all the hysteria and jumping to conclusions here, here's my take on it:

More than likely Mick was making a past tense comment, that they had to persuade Stevie to do another FM album but this convincing was not recent, it was likely in tandem with Christine rejoining.

We know they did an EP in 2013 because Nicks felt that "albums just don't sell anymore" and wasn't interested in a full-blown album. We also know she has complained about how Lindsey produced SYW.

But now here she is, still saying that albums don't sell but it doesn't matter. As she said about 24KG "I wanted to do a great record, not a hit record."

I'm guessing that Chris's rejoining the band is probably what convinced Stevie to do another album. That's why Chris and Lindsey have been working out songs while Stevie finished her 24KG album. That's why Christine has said that Stevie will definitely be on the album. That's why Lindsey talks in concert about a new chapter that will bear much fruit.

So when Mick makes an offhand remark about "we had to persuade Stevie to join in" I'm sure that discussion was settled well prior to the current tour.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:00 PM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secret love View Post
By the same token, the four other band members have earned the right to do as they please without involving Stevie. If it's a choice between an album by Mick, John, Christine and Lindsey or no Fleetwood Mac album at all, which seems to be the case, I think most fans would choose the Stevie-less album over nothing.
And that's all fine. I doubt anyone referred to Christine as an egocentric old cow when she chose not to tour or record with FM for 16 years. Just saying there is a double standard here.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensorcled View Post
And that's all fine. I doubt anyone referred to Christine as an egocentric old cow when she chose not to tour or record with FM for 16 years. Just saying there is a double standard here.
Right. Well, Stevie is definitely the star (in terms of media attention and solo album sales) so there's inevitable backlash for that, unfair as it may be.

I think a Stevie-less album will sell but not as well. Without Lindsey BTM only went gold. Without Christine SYW also only went gold.

Plus, since Nicks is actually touring with FM I really really really doubt that she isn't already on board to record with them. That just wouldn't make sense; supposedly Christine floated the idea a few years ago of recording with FM but not touring and that was nixed by the rest of the band. I'd be surprised if they let Stevie get away with "touring but no recording".
Old 10-13-2014, 11:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by olive View Post
were you there ? or did this come from your best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend who heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with a girl who works at 31 Flavors ?
I read it in another thread on this board, by someone who was at the meet and greet. It was from the "On With the Show Tour" thread. Here is the quote.

[QUOTE=elle;1148962]interesting.

at the m&g in NYC, Mick reportedly said in response to question about their album that they have 27 (i think?) pieces recorded already (would that be 27 whole songs? can't remember?). after follow-up question on why did they not put that out already and what/who is holding the album, he was apparently pretty specific saying something like they need to get Stevie on board and she's not there yet.

Last edited by secondhandchain; 10-13-2014 at 11:34 PM..
Old 10-13-2014, 11:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
"She did her work, but Mac fans were quietly crying. Does she ever feel guilty about not even trying. Sad pampered Stevie."

Take some hard advice Stevie. Go write some real songs!

Old 10-13-2014, 11:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I still think Stevie hasn't fully committed in any formalized way to an album and I think she is holding out as a negotiating tactic. That's just how albums seem to go with her/them anymore. (SYW and the EP). So whatever is in her heart about a new album, I think (my opinion only) that she's not yet made a firm commitment ("signed the contract" so to speak). Maybe she's waiting to see how the tour plays out vis-a-vis Lindsey; maybe she's still insistent on getting the producer SHE wants; whatever it is, she's hesitating.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabruns View Post
Right. Well, Stevie is definitely the star (in terms of media attention and solo album sales) so there's inevitable backlash for that, unfair as it may be.

I think a Stevie-less album will sell but not as well. Without Lindsey BTM only went gold. Without Christine SYW also only went gold.

Plus, since Nicks is actually touring with FM I really really really doubt that she isn't already on board to record with them. That just wouldn't make sense; supposedly Christine floated the idea a few years ago of recording with FM but not touring and that was nixed by the rest of the band. I'd be surprised if they let Stevie get away with "touring but no recording".
Honestly, you know, any album they put out is unlikely to sell well, because of their age and because they have been around so long as a band, a lot of people see them as being past it. Stevie or no Stevie, I would be incredibly surprised if a new Fleetwood Mac album went platinum in the US.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensorcled View Post
Because she retired

I WILL say that I didn't like that she got as many songs as Billy, Dave, and Mick COMBINED on "Time".

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 10-14-2014, 01:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

When Guided by Voices recorded their first post-reunion album, management gave us a gag order because Robert Pollard's other band at the time, Boston Spaceships, just released an album that they were working. I suspect that's what's at play here.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 10-14-2014, 06:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

A lot of speculation. Just like when she was not in the studio for the beginning. Then word came out that she had a commitment to Warner Brothers so she had to go do a record.

Stevie has a back log of material. And no doubt she is writing now. If there is a new FM record, Stevie will be on it. It would be senseless to do without her. She is the reason the band has stayed relevant without Christine. She is the one promoting her and the music.

She said she never wanted to be the reason the band split up. Not sure why she would change that tone now as they are nearing the end of their touring life.

They need to get through the tour.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabruns View Post
Right. Well, Stevie is definitely the star (in terms of media attention and solo album sales) ......

I am not so sure about that anymore. It looks like her glitter is starting to fade. Most of the media attention is on Christine and Lindsey on this tour.....even the fans comments on twitter have mostly focused on those two.

It is interesting to read the comments here where people are saying the band could survive without Stevie....I believe whatever magic she had around her for a long time has faded and the cracks are starting to show and this generation of fans are much less forgiving. Yes, she is a legend, but the glitter does fade and it seems to be fading.

In my opinion Dave Stewart brought the darkness and decline to her career because he over exposed her....there was something enchanting and mystical about her being secluded and untouchable...

She looks like a sweet little lamb from afar, but when you get close, you find out that she skinned and ate the darn thing just to use it as a coat. She's a beast.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:23 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalzaretta View Post
A lot of speculation. Just like when she was not in the studio for the beginning. Then word came out that she had a commitment to Warner Brothers so she had to go do a record.

Stevie has a back log of material. And no doubt she is writing now. If there is a new FM record, Stevie will be on it. It would be senseless to do without her. She is the reason the band has stayed relevant without Christine. She is the one promoting her and the music.

She said she never wanted to be the reason the band split up. Not sure why she would change that tone now as they are nearing the end of their touring life.

They need to get through the tour.
thank you !
Old 10-14-2014, 08:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by reebokandlace View Post
In my opinion Dave Stewart brought the darkness and decline to her career because he over exposed her....there was something enchanting and mystical about her being secluded and untouchable...
??? Darkness and decline? Stevie just released one of her best solo albums in 30 years. It was Dave Stewart who gave her the confidence and ability to reach out to a whole new generation of fans. Far from being overexposed, she's finally making an effort (albeit halting at times), to embrace social media and really market herself in a smart and focused way. Dave breathed new life into Stevie, and I'm loving every minute of it.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

So when Mick makes an offhand remark about "we had to persuade Stevie to join in" I'm sure that discussion was settled well prior to the current tour.[/QUOTE]

Nope. Not even close.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by reebokandlace View Post
Oh my God! You should do stand up, sweetie! That's hilarious!

Are you living in a parallel universe? Darkness and decline? Where have YOU been these past 4 years? Dave is responsible for the woman getting stuff done...new albums, documentaries, DVD's, gallery exhibits, need I go on? Overexposed??? Hardly.

If we're going to talk about "darkness and decline" then let's discuss the decade in between TISL and IYD where all she did was tour the "oldies", repackage a "greatest hits" and release a live "greatest hits". Now that's DEFINITELY a period where she seemed "secluded" but there was nothing enchanting or mystical about that at all!