The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-28-2017, 05:13 AM

Carter Alan’s Rock ‘n’ Roll Diary: August 28 in Classic Rock History

Paul and Linda McCartney had a baby girl named Mary on this day in 1969.She appeared on the cover of what album?

ANSWER: “McCartney” (Paul’s first solo album)

What else happened on this day in rock n’ roll history? Here’s the Rock N’ Roll Diary for August 28, from the College of Classic Rock Knowledge – 100.7 WZLX!

1969: Paul and Linda McCartney became proud parents of a new baby girl named Mary and born in London.
1986: Don Henley, Joni Mitchell, Stevie Nicks and Neil Young headlined a concert in Long Beach, California to raise lobbying money for a law targeting polluters.
1997: Genesis celebrated the release of their album Calling All Stations, their first studio album in six years and their first without Phil Collins, with an unplugged performance at Florida’s Kennedy Space Center. The album was not a success.
Checking the WZLX ticket stash…
1973: It was Carlos Santana and John McLaughlin at the Music Hall.
1974: The Band played the Boston Garden with Little Feat.
1978: Eddie Money stopped by the Paradise.
1989: Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers were at Great Woods.

http://wzlx.cbslocal.com/2017/08/28/...ock-history-3/
Old 08-30-2017, 04:26 AM

Dave Stewart Confirms Sunderland Show As Part Of 65th Birthday Celebrations

Dave Stewart will play Sunderland Empire as part of his 65th birthday celebrations.

The co-founder of Eurythmics, alongside Annie Lennox, Stewart will perform in his hometown on September 10, following his previously confirmed date at the O2 Shepherd's Bush Empire in London earlier in the week. Speaking about the new show, Stewart said:

"I’m looking forward to playing lots of the hit songs I’ve written over the years in the legendary Sunderland Empire. I was born and grew up in Sunderland and have many great memories about my life there (I’m sure more will come flooding back). I was a struggling musician as a teenager in Sunderland so I chose to invite the three young local bands below to perform before me. The bands are Social Room, Lilliput and Picnic."

The shows will also accompany the release of 'Nashville Sessions - The Duets, Vol 1', a new compilation that features duets with Stevie Nicks, Alison Krauss, Colbie Caillat and Joss Stone.

Dave Stewart Upcoming Tour Dates are as follows:

Fri September 08 2017 - LONDON O2 Shepherd's Bush Empire
Sun September 10 2017 - SUNDERLAND Empire

Click here to compare & buy Dave Stewart Tickets at Stereoboard.com.

https://www.stereoboard.com/content/view/210251/9
Old 08-30-2017, 09:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
Dave Stewart Confirms Sunderland Show As Part Of 65th Birthday Celebrations

Dave Stewart will play Sunderland Empire as part of his 65th birthday celebrations.

The co-founder of Eurythmics, alongside Annie Lennox, Stewart will perform in his hometown on September 10, following his previously confirmed date at the O2 Shepherd's Bush Empire in London earlier in the week. Speaking about the new show, Stewart said:

"I’m looking forward to playing lots of the hit songs I’ve written over the years in the legendary Sunderland Empire. I was born and grew up in Sunderland and have many great memories about my life there (I’m sure more will come flooding back). I was a struggling musician as a teenager in Sunderland so I chose to invite the three young local bands below to perform before me. The bands are Social Room, Lilliput and Picnic."

The shows will also accompany the release of 'Nashville Sessions - The Duets, Vol 1', a new compilation that features duets with Stevie Nicks, Alison Krauss, Colbie Caillat and Joss Stone.

Dave Stewart Upcoming Tour Dates are as follows:

Fri September 08 2017 - LONDON O2 Shepherd's Bush Empire
Sun September 10 2017 - SUNDERLAND Empire

Click here to compare & buy Dave Stewart Tickets at Stereoboard.com.

https://www.stereoboard.com/content/view/210251/9
Is the Stevie duet just Cheaper than Blah? I wondered for a second there if this was a reference to something new.
Old 09-05-2017, 03:09 PM

Today in rock history; the birth of Freddie Mercury, Skinny Puppy arrives, Stevie Nicks' Bella Donna and more
Soundgarden releases 'Louder Than Love,' too.

Today in rock history: on this date in 1981, Bella Donna, the very first solo album from Fleetwood Mac co-lead vocalist Stevie Nicks reached the no. 1 spot on Billboard’s pop albums chart. Stevie’s very first solo outing included contributions from several of her contemporaries and musician friends and it spawned two incredibly successful hit singles that were recorded as duets with some of the most popular of the album’s guests: “Leather and Lace” with Eagles member Don Henley and “Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around” with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. Other album standouts include the country-influenced “After The Glitter Fades” and one of Stevie’s signature songs, “Edge of Seventeen." The record achieved platinum status a month after topping album sales charts and eventually went on to sell in excess of six million copies in the U.S. alone making it Stevie Nicks’ most popular and successful album as a soloist to date. Read our review of Nicks' rarities-laced November 2016 Tampa set here.

http://www.cltampa.com/music/music-n...donna-and-more
Old 09-14-2017, 02:47 PM

2017 Rocktober campaign to feature vinyl reissues from Alice Cooper, ZZ Top, Chicago & More

RhinoA new series of cool limited-edition vinyl reissues from various artists will be released on the first four Tuesdays in October as part of the Rhino label’s second annual Rocktober campaign. Among the well-known acts who are part of the campaign: Alice Cooper, ZZ Top, Chicago, Faces, The Grateful Dead and T. Rex.
The 2017 Rocktober campaign kicks off October 3, and will feature the reissue of three Alice Cooper albums, Love It to Death, Pretties for You and Special Forces, which will be available, respectively, on black-and-white-swirl, red and white vinyl.
Also being reissued that day will be Faces‘ Ooh La La album on dark-red vinyl and The Velvet Underground‘s Loaded on gold vinyl. In addition, a two-LP version of the soundtrack to the 1981 film Heavy Metal, which includes songs by Journey, Black Sabbath, Sammy Hagar, Stevie Nicks, Grand Funk Railroad, Cheap Trick, Don Felder and many others, will be released.
October 18 will see the release of a two-LP version of the 1997 Chicago compilation Chicago Presents: The Innovative Guitar of Terry Kath, which pays tribute to the band’s late founding lead guitarist.
To close out the initiative on October 24, reissues of T. Rex’s classic Electric Warrior and ZZ Top’s debut, ZZ Top’s First Album, will be available on 180-gram vinyl. In addition, a new two-LP compilation The Best of The Grateful Dead Vol. 2: 1977-1989 also will released.
Other artists with albums being reissued as part of Rhino’s Rocktober initiative include Jane’s Addiction, Nickelback, Skid Row and Testament.
Visit Rhino.com to check out the complete list of Rocktober releases.
Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

http://rock107.com/2017-rocktober-ca...-chicago-more/
Old 09-16-2017, 05:30 AM

DEER TICK RETURNS FROM HIATUS WITH A DOUBLE-BARRELED DUAL ALBUM RELEASE

You’ll love it. That’s totally in your wheelhouse too. Though if you do wind up doing a duet for that album, it seems almost a requisite that you and Vanessa [Carlton, McCauley’s wife] do Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around [the classic Stevie Nicks and Tom Petty duet from Nicks’ 1981 solo album, Bella Donna].

Oh yeah! We almost did that at Newport Folk a couple of years ago. (chuckles) We came up with the idea at the last minute, but we could not find the key we were both most comfortable singing in, so we had to abandon it. (chuckles again)

Ah, that’s too bad! You mean you couldn’t call your friend Stevie Nicks and ask, “Hey Stevie, what do we do here?” [Stevie Nicks officiated McCauley and Carlton’s wedding in December 2013].

Yeah! “How did you and Tom figure it out?”

https://www.digitaltrends.com/music/...bum-interview/
Old 09-21-2017, 07:39 AM

Stand Back: Nina Cain stars in story of Stevie Nicks

Since Nina Cain’s already accomplished the feat of being the lead singer of seven different musical groups at once, you might expect that taking on the persona of Steve Nicks for a couple of weekends at the Cutting Edge Theater in Slidell should be a piece of cake.

Well, yes and no.

For Cain, mastering not just the lyrics but the look and movements of the Rock ‘N' Roll Hall of Famer for “White Winged Dove,” the tribute show debuting Friday and created by Cutting Edge owner/operator Brian Fontenot, was not that difficult.

It’s the biographical narration portions of the show between songs that’s a little harder.

“I have a challenging time on the stage (acting, not singing) sometimes, jumping ahead and things like that,” Cain said. “But this show is not just a concert, and I have to switch back and forth between being Stevie the singer and Nina the storyteller.

“That’s how I want to come across — as a storyteller — not just a singer. I’m telling Stevie’s story along with singing her songs.”

Cain admits she didn’t know much about Nicks or her music before Fontenot approached her in the spring about starring in the latest of the cabaret shows Cutting Edge presents two or three times a year between the theater’s larger productions.

Cain, who was appearing at Pippi, the stripper with the heart of gold, in Cutting Edge’s version of "The Great American Trailer Park Musical" at the time, was Fontenot’s first and only choice for the role.

“For a show like this, you’ve got to have the right physical attributes,” Fontenot said. “Nina’s definitely got that.

“And then, you have to be an outstanding performer. When she walks on that stage, she’s extraordinary.”

To Fontenot, who has penned shows about the lives and music of Mama Cass and Buddy Holley among others, the combination is essential.

Audiences, he said, are expecting to see a recreation of the artists at his or her peak, even if the artist is still living. Nicks is now 69, but still popular and touring. (She drew more than 9,000 to the Smoothie King Center the week "Trailer Park Musical" opened at Cutting Edge).

“People come to these shows looking for nostalgia,” he said. “A single song can take you back 50 years in an instant, so think of what an entire concert can do, especially when you’re bringing back memories by talking and show pictures from the past.

“This audience is going to get Stevie’s good stuff performed in the style when she was at her peak and in a much more intimate setting than you’d get in an arena. It’s playing to your market.”

It's a stroll through Stevie’s greatest hits, both with Fleetwood Mac and as a solo artist — “Dreams,” “Landslide,” “Rhiannon,” “Stand Back” and the climactic “Edge of 17” among others.

Chad Gearig-Howe, who appeared with Cain in "Trailer Park," and Rob Reidenhauer, add harmony to the performance.

Along the way, Cain also became somewhat of a Nicks expert, not just about her music but about other aspects of her life.

“Her lyrics are very relatable to me, especially ones about going through breakups, because I just did,” she said. “She’s telling the stories I want to tell.

“And she’s into witchy things, and I’ve always wanted to be a witch. We’re both Tauruses, so there’s a lot of magic going on.”

Cain also is into the capes, shawls and scarves that Nicks wears, not just to enhance her mystical aura but because back in the Fleetwood Mac days it made her appear larger on stage.

Another identifying point — at 29, Cain is the same age as Stevie was in 1979 when "Rumours" was in just about everyone's record collection.

And Cain certainly knows something about changing singing styles on stage, going back to the time 10 years ago when the Morgan City native left UNO, where she’d come to study music, to become the lead singer with the house band at the Famous Door on Bourbon Street.

Over the years, Cain has fronted several bands, going from pop to blues to soul to jazz. Among her current gigs is a residency with the New Orleans Juke Box at the Saint Hotel on Canal Street.

“You learn how to dress up for corporate appearance,” she said. “And then maybe you have a bare midriff for a bar. “It’s just whatever suits the moment and what you’re playing.”

Cain said she’s hoping this isn’t her last such show. She’d like a crack at being Madonna.

And Fontenot, who can see this show being held over for an extra weekend, has ideas of his own for future shows with the music of Bette Midler, Gloria Estefan and Barbra Streisand.

So, could there be another collaboration down the road?

“That would be great,” Cain said. “This has been a lot of work, but I’m having the time of my life.”

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orlea...5c5ba3c61.html
Old 09-21-2017, 07:43 AM

Kyle Stevens opens up about digital transformation of journalism

On his proudest professional moments, he revealed, "The proudest moment in my career was conducting a long-form interview with the legendary Stevie Nicks. Every day, I wake up feeling blessed because certain people behind the scenes took a chance on a young writer who wanted the opportunity to prove himself. Stevie was very gracious with her time when she didn't have to be. The article that I wound up publishing made me a player in the industry. I thank Stevie for ultimately giving me freedom. A person truly couldn't ask for anything more in life!"

http://www.digitaljournal.com/entert...article/502953
Old 09-21-2017, 11:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
Stand Back: Nina Cain stars in story of Stevie Nicks

Since Nina Cain’s already accomplished the feat of being the lead singer of seven different musical groups at once, you might expect that taking on the persona of Steve Nicks for a couple of weekends at the Cutting Edge Theater in Slidell should be a piece of cake.

Well, yes and no.

For Cain, mastering not just the lyrics but the look and movements of the Rock ‘N' Roll Hall of Famer for “White Winged Dove,” the tribute show debuting Friday and created by Cutting Edge owner/operator Brian Fontenot, was not that difficult.

It’s the biographical narration portions of the show between songs that’s a little harder.

“I have a challenging time on the stage (acting, not singing) sometimes, jumping ahead and things like that,” Cain said. “But this show is not just a concert, and I have to switch back and forth between being Stevie the singer and Nina the storyteller.

“That’s how I want to come across — as a storyteller — not just a singer. I’m telling Stevie’s story along with singing her songs.”

Cain admits she didn’t know much about Nicks or her music before Fontenot approached her in the spring about starring in the latest of the cabaret shows Cutting Edge presents two or three times a year between the theater’s larger productions.

Cain, who was appearing at Pippi, the stripper with the heart of gold, in Cutting Edge’s version of "The Great American Trailer Park Musical" at the time, was Fontenot’s first and only choice for the role.

“For a show like this, you’ve got to have the right physical attributes,” Fontenot said. “Nina’s definitely got that.

“And then, you have to be an outstanding performer. When she walks on that stage, she’s extraordinary.”

To Fontenot, who has penned shows about the lives and music of Mama Cass and Buddy Holley among others, the combination is essential.

Audiences, he said, are expecting to see a recreation of the artists at his or her peak, even if the artist is still living. Nicks is now 69, but still popular and touring. (She drew more than 9,000 to the Smoothie King Center the week "Trailer Park Musical" opened at Cutting Edge).

“People come to these shows looking for nostalgia,” he said. “A single song can take you back 50 years in an instant, so think of what an entire concert can do, especially when you’re bringing back memories by talking and show pictures from the past.

“This audience is going to get Stevie’s good stuff performed in the style when she was at her peak and in a much more intimate setting than you’d get in an arena. It’s playing to your market.”

It's a stroll through Stevie’s greatest hits, both with Fleetwood Mac and as a solo artist — “Dreams,” “Landslide,” “Rhiannon,” “Stand Back” and the climactic “Edge of 17” among others.

Chad Gearig-Howe, who appeared with Cain in "Trailer Park," and Rob Reidenhauer, add harmony to the performance.

Along the way, Cain also became somewhat of a Nicks expert, not just about her music but about other aspects of her life.

“Her lyrics are very relatable to me, especially ones about going through breakups, because I just did,” she said. “She’s telling the stories I want to tell.

“And she’s into witchy things, and I’ve always wanted to be a witch. We’re both Tauruses, so there’s a lot of magic going on.”

Cain also is into the capes, shawls and scarves that Nicks wears, not just to enhance her mystical aura but because back in the Fleetwood Mac days it made her appear larger on stage.

Another identifying point — at 29, Cain is the same age as Stevie was in 1979 when "Rumours" was in just about everyone's record collection.

And Cain certainly knows something about changing singing styles on stage, going back to the time 10 years ago when the Morgan City native left UNO, where she’d come to study music, to become the lead singer with the house band at the Famous Door on Bourbon Street.

Over the years, Cain has fronted several bands, going from pop to blues to soul to jazz. Among her current gigs is a residency with the New Orleans Juke Box at the Saint Hotel on Canal Street.

“You learn how to dress up for corporate appearance,” she said. “And then maybe you have a bare midriff for a bar. “It’s just whatever suits the moment and what you’re playing.”

Cain said she’s hoping this isn’t her last such show. She’d like a crack at being Madonna.

And Fontenot, who can see this show being held over for an extra weekend, has ideas of his own for future shows with the music of Bette Midler, Gloria Estefan and Barbra Streisand.

So, could there be another collaboration down the road?

“That would be great,” Cain said. “This has been a lot of work, but I’m having the time of my life.”

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orlea...5c5ba3c61.html

Stevie's a Gemini, not a Taurus. She talks about it all the time, so it's in a ton of interviews you'd presumably read when putting a show like this together. When you miss a detail so small and obvious it casts questions over the rest of your facts......
Old 09-23-2017, 10:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Stevie's a Gemini, not a Taurus. She talks about it all the time, so it's in a ton of interviews you'd presumably read when putting a show like this together. When you miss a detail so small and obvious it casts questions over the rest of your facts......
I was surprised by how offended I was to read that she thought Stevie was a Taurus. I almost wrote to the author of the article indignantly!
Old 09-23-2017, 11:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyfee View Post
I was surprised by how offended I was to read that she thought Stevie was a Taurus. I almost wrote to the author of the article indignantly!
DITTO! Everyone knows Stevie is a Gemini!
Old 09-26-2017, 08:10 AM

Apertures & alcohol: the evolving art of music photography according to Rankin and friends
WeTransfer Studios and Rankin have teamed up to launch The Backstage Sessions, a series of films exploring the stories behind the most iconic rock ‘n’ roll photos of the 21st century and their creators. The Drum spoke to Rankin and his subjects – David Montgomery, Gered Mankowitz and Kevin Cummins – to find out how they view their industry now that it is shot primarily through a digital lens.

Montgomery, a true Brooklynite who once shot Hendrix against a backdrop of fire, admits he was, and still is, whimsically relaxed on a shoot. “I never know what I’m going to do, even if I do know what I want to do,” he drawls. “Until you look in the camera… it’s kind of magic really.
I once flew to California to photograph Fleetwood Mac, probably 30 years ago, and I walked in the room and saw Stevie Nicks and I fell madly in love with her on the spot. I couldn’t think straight. I took possibly one of the worst pictures of my entire life.

(for those who are curious, this is the picture in question: )

http://www.thedrum.com/news/2017/09/...in-and-friends
Old 10-02-2017, 02:11 PM

Watch Haim Lead Exuberant Dance in 'Little of Your Love' Video
Filmmaker Paul Thomas Anderson directed playful clip, set at Los Angeles bar Oil Can Harry's

Haim lead an intricate line-dance in their exuberant video for "Little of Your Love" video, the second single from the pop-rock band's second LP, Something to Tell You. Acclaimed filmmaker Paul Thomas Anderson directed the clip, set at L.A. bar Oil Can Harry's.

The close-knit siblings came out of the San Fernando Valley to make a killer debut and win over Taylor Swift and U2. Now, can they top themselves?
Guitarist Danielle Haim opens the clip strutting down the street, decked out in a vintage Stevie Nicks T-shirt, to join the in-progress dance sequence alongside her bandmates Alana and Este Haim. Each musician takes a turn singing into Anderson's swirling camera, and the floor eventually clears to showcase the sisters' playful slides and hand claps.

Anderson recently directed the trio's 14-minute short film, Valentine, which showcases the band's creative process while workshopping early versions of album tracks like "Right Now," "Something to Tell You" and "Nothing's Wrong." The There Will Be Blood director instigated the collaboration after realizing the sisters' mother was his former art teacher.

Haim recently concluded a stretch of headlining fall tour dates. Their next date is a sold-out hometown show at L.A.'s Greek Theater on October 19th.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...-video-w506528
Old 10-10-2017, 07:32 AM

‘The Voice’ blind auditions: Chloe Kohanski rocks out to ‘The Chain’ and is ‘obsessed’ with Miley Cyrus [WATCH]

During Night 5 of “The Voice” Season 13, Chloe Kohanski‘s performance of Fleetwood Mac‘s “The Chain” caused three coaches — Miley Cyrus, Jennifer Hudson and Blake Shelton — to all press their buttons. After a long deliberation process that had to be broken up by Adam Levine, Kohanski ultimately decided to join Cyrus’ team after revealing that she’s “obsessed with Miley.” Did she make the right choice? Watch Chloe Kohanski’s “The Voice” blind audition video above.

Look, my dad had me listening to Stevie Nicks, riding around in his truck always,” Cyrus told the young rocker. “I kind of aspired to be like Stevie. And just turning around and seeing your style, it feels like you really know who you are. And my foundation is knowing who I am. We’ve got a very similar range so I think I know songs that would be great for you because they’re songs that would probably end up working for me, too.

http://www.goldderby.com/article/201...ey-cyrus-news/
Old 10-12-2017, 07:29 AM

In Advance of Her Music Box Concert, Singer-Songwriter Suzanne Santo Reflects on 'Recalibrating' Her Life

One of the album's many highlights, “Ghost in My Bed” recalls R.E.M.’s hit “Losing My Religion” with its moody vocals, folk-y acoustic guitars and chirping strings.
“There’s a journalist that totally came up with their own idea and wrote an article about it and said it’s about being in a relationship with an alcoholic,” she says. “That’s not true at all. I’ve never been in a relationship with an alcoholic. It’s about being destructive and then being accountable for it. It’s loosely inspired by the Stevie Nicks lyrics ‘Don't blame it on me/Blame it on my wild heart.’ Right when I moved back to L.A., I was recalibrating my life and I could feel the ghosts of my vices.”

https://www.clevescene.com/scene-and...ating-her-life