User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Editorial: I need help finding one

Hey Guys,

So for my college writing class I am supposed to bring in an editorial on a current event that I find interesting. I figured Stevie Nicks' new album is, infact a current event. However, I also figured that Fleetwood Mac may have some things going on as well.

Truth of the matter is, however. I am unsure as to what an editorial is, let alone finding a good one.

I was wondering if you guys may be able to help me out?

Thank you so much
Old 01-31-2011, 08:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristochango View Post
Hey Guys,

So for my college writing class I am supposed to bring in an editorial on a current event that I find interesting. I figured Stevie Nicks' new album is, infact a current event. However, I also figured that Fleetwood Mac may have some things going on as well.

Truth of the matter is, however. I am unsure as to what an editorial is, let alone finding a good one.

I was wondering if you guys may be able to help me out?

Thank you so much
If I'm right from that stupid journalism class I got thrown into my freshman year (I'm in an honors program for business majors and they like to start throwing you into classes, especially during your first 3 semesters lol), I think an editorial is opinion pieces that are sorted out by the editor.

You can add me on Facebook
Old 01-31-2011, 08:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLadyLoki View Post
If I'm right from that stupid journalism class I got thrown into my freshman year (I'm in an honors program for business majors and they like to start throwing you into classes, especially during your first 3 semesters lol), I think an editorial is opinion pieces that are sorted out by the editor.
Thanks

Now I just gotta go on a hunt for one
Old 01-31-2011, 09:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristochango View Post
Hey Guys,

No, Stevie's new album won't be the subject of an editorial. An editorial is an opinion piece, usually about political or cultural matters that affect much or all of the community or society.

Here's a recent editorial about labor unions, written by one of my favorite dudes, Roger Kimball:

http://pajamasmedia.com/rogerkimball...racy-near-you/

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 02-01-2011, 09:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
No, Stevie's new album won't be the subject of an editorial. An editorial is an opinion piece, usually about political or cultural matters that affect much or all of the community or society.

Here's a recent editorial about labor unions, written by one of my favorite dudes, Roger Kimball:

http://pajamasmedia.com/rogerkimball...racy-near-you/
I was wondering why I never saw a music editorial piece and that explains why all the big NY papers are just political nonsense (I hate politics and I'm still confused about this left wing-right wing stuff between the New York Times and the Wall Street Journal, which I think I'll be needing for a class this semester).

Chris, maybe you could try and find a piece on the music industry at the time. I bet you could find it in some business mag, like BusinessWeek or Forbes.

You can add me on Facebook
Old 02-01-2011, 09:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLadyLoki View Post
I was wondering why I never saw a music editorial piece and that explains why all the big NY papers are just political nonsense (I hate politics and I'm still confused about this left wing-right wing stuff between the New York Times and the Wall Street Journal, which I think I'll be needing for a class this semester).

Chris, maybe you could try and find a piece on the music industry at the time. I bet you could find it in some business mag, like BusinessWeek or Forbes.
Bingo. It's not politics, but the current tenuous state of music as a business is a fascinating topic. However, the problem with writing an editorial about this is that you need to take a stand on the issue and propose a solution. Good luck with that!

Stevie Nicks' new album is not a current event.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Editorials are opinion pieces typically written by a newspaper/magazine/periodicals senior editors or publisher, but sometimes one will find a guest editorial written by someone of authority on a given subject, etc.

Some papers will run Editorials under "Opinion."

To connect something to Stevie's upcoming tour (a current event depending on the editor's discretion) one of the venues she's performing at may have undergone recent renovations, etc. at the cost of the taxpayers.