Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-02-2003, 08:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Time question

I just listened to the Time album again. Even though, I like Behind the Mask better, I still have to say that Time is still a good album, especially with the revised tracking order that someone posted on the Ledge a while back. I just have a question about Christine & Dave Mason. I noticed in the CD booklet, on most of Christine's songs it lists Michael Thompson on guitars and on Dave Mason's songs, it lists Steve Thoma on keyboards. Does anyone know who these 2 people are? It almost sounds as if Christine & Dave did not play on each others songs. Does anyone know if there is any sort of personal or professional problem between Chris and Dave?
Old 02-02-2003, 08:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question There must be something up

I had often wondered about this too. I've always speculated that as Christine is close with Steve Winwood and Mason & Winwood obviously didn't get along in their Traffic days...

I'd like to think Christine wouldn't stoop to what seems like childish antics of "you and my friend don't like each other so I'm not playing with you" and there probably is much more to it than this but there must be something up between those two.

With the exception of the 1995 online chat with CM that someone posted a while back in the "Rumours" board here where she says she thought DM was a great guitar player but "doesn't fit in with FM" (or something to that effect) and the few pictures that were taken I have seen circa 1995 of the "Time" album gang all together (which they are not in the "Time" CD booklet pictures). I've never heard one mention the other in any way.

As for Michael Thompson, (if it's the same one I'm thinking of anyways) he is a session guitarist and I know I've got a few other albums he plays on but I can't think off hand which ones they are now (figures), check www.allmusic.com and see what it comes up with when you search for him, maybe that'll help.

I'm not sure what Steve Thoma had done before "Time" (and the tour) but he did go on to tour in some of DM's solo bands in the late 90's as evident on the DM & Jim Capaldi live CD "Live - The 40,000 headmen tour" so I'd imagine he came from the DM side of the camp but who knows?

I hope that helps in some small way and I would be interested to see what others think is the deal (if there is any) between these two and if anyone has any other info on Thompson & Thoma.

John

Last edited by wetcamelfood; 02-07-2003 at 09:05 PM..
Old 02-02-2003, 12:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

John,
Yes, it does help. I wonder if it might have something to do with the Steve Winwood/Traffic situation. I didn't know that Winwood & Mason didn't get along. It's just strange that they would use session musicians on a Fleetwood Mac album. I also noticed that Chris had her picture taken for the CD booklet with only Mick & John, but not with the rest of the band. Again, that's a little strange. I didn't know that there were any pictures of all 6 Time band members together. Where did you see these pictures?
Old 02-02-2003, 01:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Question

I think the album was recorded in two different stages - perhaps someone else can expand this... I remember reading about this being an album of the Burnette/Bramlett/Mason incarnation, and thus they can be heard in eachother's songs. And then the album was reduced to make space to use in the Christine McVie tracks which were recorded later and with session musicians in the guitars. Probably Billy & Bekka added backing vocals later to these tracks, so it's actually a 'fragmented' album. Then again I don't have too much documentation, but that's what I've read everywhere.

And the Time album pretty much sounds like that - half Christine McVie, half 'the rest of them'. Which is a pity. Not too much of Fleetwood Mac...

Song of the moment - Woman Of A Thousand Years
Old 02-02-2003, 02:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

Macfan57 - I think it was in the UK magazne "Q", it must have been a late '94 /early '95 issue and for fun Christine, Bekka & Billy all had fake beards on. I think it was just a little snippet to dispell rumors that they had vanished and that they were in fact "together" and recording the "new" album. As for Mason & Winwood "not getting along", this has often been rumored but never really confirmed. Steve did play on Dave's "Two hearts" album in 1987 but from what I heard it was an "on record only" reunion. Dave was apparently hurt that he was not invited to join the Winwood/Capaldi Traffic reunion in 1994, but I don't know how he would've mangaed it anyways since he was working with FM at the time. It's often been stated that Winwood wanted the Traffic stuff to be written as a group and that Mason preferred to write his songs alone so when he brought in his songs completed for the "Mr. Fantasy" album, Steve was not pleased. Traffic's follow up single to their first single "Paper sun" was a Mason song and was called "Hole in my shoe", although it did make number 2 in the UK charts, Steve apparently made little attempt to hide the fact that he (& possibly Chris Wood & Jim Capaldi too) didn't like the song as he/they felt it was "too commercial" for their psychedelic tastes at the time. I don't know if we'll ever know what the truth is behind this as some writers down play this tension and of course others play it up so I guess it depends on what you read as to what you'll think. I'm glad my last post was of some help/use too.

Cristian - I think you're right in what you say, I think it was ChiliD that had posted about that here and that was the first I knew about the "story behind the story". So hopefully it just is that things were done separately without any bad feelings, I guess well never know. Hopefully someday we'll find out though.

John

Last edited by wetcamelfood; 02-03-2003 at 01:49 PM..
Old 02-02-2003, 04:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks to both John & Cristian. I would have loved to have seen that Q Magazine, John. It also makes sense now. It has always sounded to me as if Christine's songs were somehow separate from everybody else's songs. Now, I know why.
Old 02-04-2003, 05:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Christine McVie prefers to stay home 'in her rocking chair' right? So I imagine Dave Mason was unable to be wherever she was recording and she unable to get to where he was at. The Traffic thing happened in the late 60s; three of the members wanted to go more hard rock experimental-profound-cosmic like Cream, Genesis, The Pink Floyd or whoever, and Dave was more of the singer songwriter storyteller type and they found him 'twee' at times. They got back together again for that one album though with all their names on it rather than Traffic; Winwood, Capaldi, Mason, Wood, Grech, Kwaku Baah, Gordon. That title makes Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe seem succinct! I liked both sides of Traffic and Mason's solo material and especially the great 1971 album with Cass Elliot.