User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-20-2002, 12:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Lightbulb Album Discussion: Lindsey songs on White Album

Okay, let's all take a deep sigh and relax and have fun here with a thread about Lindsey's (yes, Lindsey, because this is HIS Ledge) songs from each FM album he appears on. Okee? Okee.

Monday Morning
Blue Letter (Written by Richard and Michael Curtis)
Crystal (sings it but didn't write it)
World Turning (co-written with CM)
I'm So Afraid

Now...we look at this collection of songs and we see good, bad, ugly? I'm asking. Are they strong songs, vocally, lyrically (well, the ones he wrote anyways), musically?

Let's break em down, shall we?

Monday Morning - It just opens, no pre-cursor to it, it just starts, interesting...to me, anyhow. Now, live, it DOES have a musical start to it, I LOVE the musical start, btw. This song ALWAYS reminds me of SHN because, they seem like partner songs. Do they to anyone else? This song says, I'm getting ready to leave, travelling is on my mind...SHN says, I'm already gone, I'm yesterday's news. I really love the melody to this one too, it's catchy. It reminds me of sort of some old country song, in a wierd way.

"got to get some peace in my mind..." - fave lyric (Everyone needs PEACE!)

Blue Letter - Even though he didn't pen it, it still ROCKS because of his vocal and the guitar!! Plus, we will ALWAYS associate this song with LB. Is it just me or does Lindsey have a WIERD-AS* accent...not really California, dude, at all. It's more Southern to me, that's why this one has a country tinge to it as well, I think. Please, someone agree so I don't sound like an EEDIOT! LOL

"I won't be waitin' around for you..." - fave lyric (See ya round, I got better things to do..make up your mind!!)

Crystal - Let me just say, I don't like Stevie's Practical Magic version of this song, I'm sorry, I just don't. He sings this so beautifully and soft. She wrote a GORGEOUS song, and he is right to be singing it. I love how this song ends, both ways, with the guitar AND the keyboard ending of it.

"I have changed, but you, you remain ageless..." - fave lyric (GORGEOUS!!)

World Turning - I must be the first to admit, I didn't care for this song at first...yep, shoot me now. BUT, I have listened to it again and again and the live version of it, which KICKS BUTT...and I must say, NOW, I love the song!! Hardly any lyrics to it, but it packs a whallop, especially in concert. I believe I have an almost 10 minute version of the dang song somewhere!

"maybe I'm wrong but who's to say what's right..." - fave lyric. (Don't judge.)

I'm So Afraid - Oh Sweet Lord, where do I begin...this is my fave FM song...so...here goes (it's almost 1AM, so bear with me if I sound delirious). This songs SPEAKS TO MY SOUL because it's my life wrapped up in a 3-4 minute song. The music on this version is toned down compared to the Dance (dur, huh?), but he JUST gets going when the song fades, dangit!! He sounds to me like he's frustrated and wants to get it all out during that guitar solo. Kind of like Linkin Park does in their lyrics, getting the frustration out. We all get frustrated with life, people, jobs, etc. We ALL have something in common...we are human. We are afraid to fall, but we have to realize, we aren't saints, we are gonna slip, and screw up, but we learn from it. I'd better stop, it's late, and I'm tired.

"I never change, I never will, I'm so afraid, the way I feel..." - fave lyric (We ALL are afraid at some points in our life, even though we try to hide it sometimes. I don't think I will ever change my basic morals and principles because I was raised in a certain way. I have God to help me through all the crap in life, even though I get scared, He's always there for me.)

I cannot WAIT to hear what everyone has to say about each song of LB's!! Let's HAVE FUN with this, PLEASE!!!!!
Old 08-20-2002, 04:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default phew!!!

...Wondergirl..your'e right, the Ledges at the mo are WAY too serious, we all need a break!! I admit I love the White album to bits.. my fave Linds song being Crystal (his voice is so soft and gentle..just makes you want to melt...). On the other hand, his vocals on I'm so afraid, drives me bananas!! They're SO HIGH!!!! maybe he was trying to do a Barry Gibb impression or was wearing a tight pair of jeans on the day- I prefer to think of the latter . Whatever... the other Linds songs are great too, as is the whole album.

Last edited by tuigirl; 08-20-2002 at 06:21 AM..
Old 08-20-2002, 05:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

This is my favourite FM album!!!

Monday Morning - I love this song...it is so rockin' and is a great starting song for the album

Blue Letter - I don't like this as much as Monday Morning but it suits Lindseys voice IMO and it rocks!

Crystal - I totally love this song and it does sound so much better sung by Lindsey

World Turning - Not my fave but pretty good all the same

I'm So Afraid - This is one of my fave Lindsey songs but I do prefer it live

Pip
Old 08-20-2002, 07:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool Black as night...

Monday Morning - Yea, I do see the similarity between this and Second Hand News in the sense that they're both rocking, "happy-sounding" album starters. Great to wake you up in the mornings and put you into a good mood to start the day with! It's basically a kick-ass song! And yes, the live intro. absolutely rocks, Lindsey banging away at the pick-ups of his guitar!

Blue Letter - My favourite non-FM-written FM song...brilliant! The fast-paced rhythm is so cool...just makes you wanna drive with it blasting..! Another rocker!!

Crystal - This is ok, but I prefer the B/N version 1000 times over this: his voice sounds better, and the song sounds "less produced", which somehow makes it better for me.

World Turning - I like the album version of this song, it rocks. But I don't like the live versions because they just go on and on and on.....I'm sure many people like the idea of Mick Fleetwood going out on the front of the stage with more coke in him than the drinks dispenser at the movies and banging on a drum like a madman...but it does nothing for me other than to press "fast-forward" or "skip"...

I'm So Afraid - I'm probably the second biggest fan of this song out of all the Ledgies .....yea...it's awesome...there's no other word. The album version is probably the darkest sounding one, it's got this haunting atmosphere that the live ones don't (they place it perfectly on the FM Behind The Music). However, the live versions, primarily The Dance, are my favourite versions. One of my favourite guitar solos of all time...a perfect example of "Music is a means of expression that rings truer and is more connected to things inside than speech."

Fav. song: I'm So Afraid.

Fav. lyrics: The entire lyrics to I'm So Afraid.

Last edited by seteca; 08-20-2002 at 07:40 AM..
Old 08-20-2002, 09:16 AM
Senior Ledgie

Crystal--Good SN tune sung by LB. I like this version better than SN's version from the mid 90's. Christine's keyboard is a great part of the tune and LB sings it well.

Monday Morning-One of LB's best songs. A straight unpretencious rocker!

Blue Letter-I like this song, though, I'm not sure why he choose to do a cover song on their first album together.

I'm so Afraid-LB's attemt to be Peter Green. LB isn't quite the bluesman that Green was, but this is a great tune with a rousing guitar solo, complemented by an acoustic guitar.

World Turning-Another great song. The live version is a bit tedious, but the album track is just right.
Old 08-20-2002, 10:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Monday Morning-A great way to start off the album. It also reminds me of Second Hand News, although I like SHN a little better.

Blue Letter- I love this song. It's even better live.

Crystal-A very nice, soft song. I really like Lindsey's vocal on this. I definitely like this version better than the Buckingham/Nicks version.

World Turning-This version is very good. I like Lindsey & Christine's vocals together. In my opinion, they ruined this song live. It is just too long. I would have gotten rid of Mick's drum solo, too.

I'm So Afraid-This is my favorite Lindsey song on this album. I know I'm in the minority here, but I like this version over any live version, including the Dance.
Old 08-20-2002, 12:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Lindsey on the White Album

Monday Morning - Fun song! Lindsey sounds young in it to me. Of course, he was. lol

Blue Letter - this is a great rocker, I love it!! The studio version is terrific, but live is even better as Mick and Lindsey really get it going towards the end, and it's just them. Unlike World Turning (see below) I believe Mick going nuts really steps this song up! One of the few times I actually really appreciate his contribution to a song.

About the country - it's DEFINITELY there. The part that always stands out as country to me is the catch in his voice in these lines: "Do-ho I re-heed the message in your eyes? You-ho wahh-na love to stay another night..." Now, written out, it looks like it takes a long time, but listening, it's barely a breath - but that country voice catch there. I love it, you hear it all the time in country songs. You know, it's not all that easy to replicate if it doesn't come to you naturally. Turns out Lindsey may be a little bit country along with his awesome rock and roll (I was just reminded of a Donnie and Marie song there).

Side note: Stevie's song "After the Glitter Fades" is so country a country singer covered it, although I forget who. It's those last two notes that really settle it. That is trademark country ending twang.

Crystal - so beautiful, but the BN version is much better. His voice sounds more masculine on the BN version and I don't like the tail end of it on the FM version. I think everyone pretty much agrees this far outshines Stevie's Practical Magic version. In fact, I was sorry she even attempted it. Yeah, it's her song, but having Lindsey sing it works SO well. It's like when Stevie sang the Chain on one of her tours...I was like "No, Lindsey sings that!" lol

World Turning - Eh. I don't like this one much, although I suppose it's OK. I don't despise it or anything. However, the live vesion...Oh, so dull! Mick goes ON and ON and ON and ON and ON. Thank goodness they dropped that thing! The only person who should have solos that go on and on and on is you-know-who! lol No offense to the drummers on the Ledge.

I'm So Afraid - What can I say that hasn't already been said? The live version is my favorite FM/Lindsey song...really, my favorite song EVER, depending on my mood. It was what made me go and buy all of Lindsey's albums.

However, the high vocals on the studio version really take away its punch, and after hearing the live version first, the album version just sounds bereft with its shorter, faded guitar solo. (Since I listened to/watched The Dance before any of the other stuff, I'll admit I was sorely disappointed with the album versions of I'm So Afraid, Go Insane, and Big Love. Lindsey rocks so much harder live).

I really love the White Album! When I bought it (it was one of the first FM albums I bought, after Dance, GH, and Rumours) the guy selling it said, "This is a great album. Better than Rumours, in my opinion." I was like "Wow!" And indeed I do love it, although I don't think it supercedes Rumours, it's right behind it (excluding special albums like The Dance).

Last edited by sodascouts; 08-20-2002 at 12:49 PM..
Old 08-20-2002, 02:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Black as night...

Quote:
Originally posted by seteca
World Turning - I like the album version of this song, it rocks. But I don't like the live versions because they just go on and on and on.....I'm sure many people like the idea of Mick Fleetwood going out on the front of the stage with more coke in him than the drinks dispenser at the movies and banging on a drum like a madman...but it does nothing for me other than to press "fast-forward" or "skip
I've always loved "World Turning" onstage because I wanted to hear Mick & John & Lindsey & Christine jam, & that's one of the few times that they really got to stretch out & improvise. Some of the licks they concocted over the course of several tours were very clever, very creative; Christine used to play brief bits of the Chopin Funeral March on her electronic piano, & she & Lindsey parroted each other playfully.

Mick's bongo solo was only a small part of the evening's improvisation on "World Turning." Listen to the parts that surround the bongo solo. And listen to the impressive dynamic range of the band in action (from a hush to a howl). It's quintessential Fleetwood Mac.
Old 08-20-2002, 03:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one who likes the live World Turning.
Old 08-20-2002, 04:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Re: bonging away...

Quote:
Originally posted by David
...Mick's bongo solo was only a small part of the evening's improvisation on "World Turning."...
Sure, but it's still big enough to ruin it for me. The LB/JM/CM/MF jamming is cool, and yea, I wish they'd do it more often (perhaps on the forthcoming tour! minus CM), but it's not exactly mindblowingly impressive either...(IMHO).

Old 08-20-2002, 04:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I like the songs he did cept "World Turning." The songs he did had a country feel to them. Especially "Monday Mourning" and "Blue Letter."
Old 08-20-2002, 05:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

DAMN IT!! It's not a friggin' "Bongo"...it's an African Talking Drum...the one he bought from Peter Green!!! (or more correctly, the one that Peter Green MADE him buy from him. Mick borrowed it so often that Peter got tired of loaning it to him, so Peter made him pay for it!)

And, I LOVE it when he gets to strut his stuff out front with it. Especially, on the Time tour when he played it on the intro of "Gold Dust Woman" with Billy playing dobro...WAYYYYY cool! It's the damned "Vest-urbation" solo that's annoying as hell. It was fun the first couple of tours, but after that, "Oh God...Help Me!".

"Blue Letter" is by far my favorite tune on the album...J. McVie's bass playing on that is magical. And, for those who've heard the Curtis Bros' original recording, Fleetwood Mac's blows it outta the water. The Curtis Bros version sounds like an Eagles tribute band attempting to play "Blue Letter". Yawn!

Call me picky, but it's "Monday MORNING" as in "before noon", not "Monday MOURNING" as in "a funeral on the first workday of the week:.
Old 08-20-2002, 07:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Talking WOOHOO!

I am very happy you all decided to post here, instead of responding to those idiotic name-calling threads. THANK YOU!

Now...Chilid, YES, AMEN BROTHER, that vest thing gets annoying after about a minute, John sent me a video from the Time tour, where he gets out there and does that for like an hour (sarcasm) and I am like, OKAY, ENOUGH...and he's yelling, "Are you with me?!" I'm yelling back at him "YES, NOW GET THEE BEHIND YOUR DRUMKIT...NOW!" And, that whole Morning...Mourning thing, thank you, that bugs the frickin HECK out of me, I'm so anal about spelling, it's SICK AND WRONG! LOL

sodascouts: I have heard After the Glitter Fades done by Glen Campbell...it was pretty good, I guess. Is that who you were thinking of, or was it a woman?

seteca: *wink*

tuigirl: Tight jeans and Lindsey *GASP*, no way!! LOL That's Lindsey...BEST! LOL Tight jeans and open shirts...sigh...and those blue eyes..okay, you got me started...LOL
Old 08-20-2002, 08:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Vest-urbation - LOL!

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD
It's the damned "Vest-urbation" solo that's annoying as hell. It was fun the first couple of tours, but after that, "Oh God...Help Me!".
No joke! I got a copy of the Landover '97 bootleg and "Not That Funny" comes on - here I am hoping that Lindsey will fake an orgasm lol instead I get Mick freaking the heck out of me, jumping around hitting on himself and making noises that sure don't sound like good old fashioned drumming to me! Give me Mr. Talking Drum over that any day.

At one point, during Landover, Lindsey does a chest-butt with him and I'm like, "Geez, Go get a room, boys!" (Just teasing) I pray they don't do it again. I can forgive them for Time tour because Lindsey wasn't there. But now that he's back, Lindsey needs to reclaim his proper place on that song. It's definitely a lot more enjoyable....musically, of course. ;-)

P.S. At one point during that Landover concert "Not That Funny", Lindsey looks like he flops on his back just out of camera range. Did anybody see this, and if so - what was he doing flat on his back? Anything interesting? lol

And, also, during "Not That Funny," while Lindsey kinda stands out of the light as Mick carries on, he "bumps" against his guitar several times in a way that brought to mind the infamous "He wants to sleep with his guitar" Stevie line. Does anyone else see this, or do I just have a dirty mind?

P.P.S. Christy, that is the one I was thinking of. Thanks!

Last edited by sodascouts; 08-20-2002 at 08:54 PM..
Old 08-20-2002, 10:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
At one point during that Landover concert "Not That Funny", Lindsey looks like he flops on his back just out of camera range. Did anybody see this, and if so - what was he doing flat on his back? Anything interesting? lol
He did that both nights at Irvine Meadows, too. Nah...nothing interesting. It was a way of relinquishing the stage to Mick. It was one of those "misdirection plays"...Lindsey stayed there on his back long enough until Mick, being on the complete opposite side of the stage, started into the vest solo...getting the crowds' attention; then Lindsey just kind of sneaked backstage to refresh himself, have his Turner tuned, call Kristen on his cell-phone to see how she was doing, then at a certain point, he crept back out to the spot he was at, laid down again as if he never left, then they got back into the song again.

Mick started that whole Vest-urbation solo on the Tango tour (I have a couple of videos from the Time tour and neither seem nearly as long as the version on the Tango video...that just seems endless!) and has been doing it ever since...only changing the samples that play in certain parts...time to retire it, I think. Time to get back to the simplicity of the African Talking Drum itself.