User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Body language dictates it looked more to me like(even though I can't see LB's mouth) LB was having a quick conversation with Mick. Mick's probably learned to read lips cause I'm sure he wouldn't be able to hear Lindsey.
Since Mick does have a loss of hearing, I bet he probably can read lips.

Still, one of the pleasures of being on stage for Mick is that he no longer has to listen to Lindsey and Stevie. He can just gape, point, bulge his eyes and smile at them when they approach the drum kit and they think they're being acknowledged. Doesn't really matter what they're saying.

John on the other hand is held captive on the floor. Stevie can just saunter up to him any time, lean in close and say whatever she wants. I'm sure sometimes she's giving him useful information about the sound, his bass level, etc., but 50% of the time I know she's saying things like, "I snagged my shawl" and "I think there are doves here." The poor guy has no where to go.

Michele
Old 05-23-2013, 06:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
Perhaps I didn't express myself very well. I didn't mean that Mac fans didn't get along or that people needed to be forced to like anything. Far from it. But it's just kind of a bummer that there are huge chunks of the Mac catalogue that many fans don't get much out of. There are loads of artists that I can't get into, similarly, and that's a bummer too, because I often do feel like I'm missing out on something.
No, I know exactly what you mean and I do think it's sad. I've used this example before, but I'll say it again. I love Jimmy Stewart, but I don't like westerns. So, I've only seen about half of Jimmy Stewart's movies and I do feel it's as if seeing Stewart through a monocle, rather than with both eyes open. I call myself a Stewart fan, but by not paying attention to the westerns, I missed out on half of his evolution and I do regret it -- just not enough to sit through Cheyenne Autumn.

When Christine did Meantime and they told her that her songs sound like Fleetwood Mac she said, of course they do because she wrote most of the "blooming" hits. Then, she said, no, that she was heavily influenced by Lindsey as they all were and she copied a lot from him and I find (or imagine to myself) that they all copy from each other and speak to each other. I so much like looking at the parts of them that were formed through and because of Fleetwood Mac. I think I understand them more as solo artists via their non-solo work so I really appreciate the full picture.

Yet, I only look at Fleetwood Mac from 1967-1974 as a way to get closer to Christine. I don't embrace that era and don't want to explore it any more than I already have. So, I understand the disinterest, too.

Michele
Old 05-23-2013, 07:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Since Mick does have a loss of hearing, I bet he probably can read lips.

Still, one of the pleasures of being on stage for Mick is that he no longer has to listen to Lindsey and Stevie. He can just gape, point, bulge his eyes and smile at them when they approach the drum kit and they think they're being acknowledged. Doesn't really matter what they're saying.

John on the other hand is held captive on the floor. Stevie can just saunter up to him any time, lean in close and say whatever she wants. I'm sure sometimes she's giving him useful information about the sound, his bass level, etc., but 50% of the time I know she's saying things like, "I snagged my shawl" and "I think there are doves here." The poor guy has no where to go.

Michele
"I think there are doves here" almost made me spit up my drink!!
Old 05-24-2013, 12:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Love how Lindsey mouths the "bah bah" on SOTM in this vid at 1:03 and 1:57. I mean really, how many of us do the same thing? I know I do!

Old 05-24-2013, 02:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
Well no one has control over what their tastes are, and no one needs to defend their likes and dislikes. What is sad though (and fortunately this only applies to a few) is when the fans of one seem to actively go out of their way to make sure they don't enjoy anything about the other(s) at all. That's just silly, and you are only hurting yourself.
Agreed. When I saw the title of the thread, I thought it would be Lindsey fans discussing Stevie's songs from an alternative perspective, which could have been interesting. Instead I find it is about the delights of ignoring her during a live show.

Disappointing.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
Agreed. When I saw the title of the thread, I thought it would be Lindsey fans discussing Stevie's songs from an alternative perspective, which could have been interesting. Instead I find it is about the delights of ignoring her during a live show.
interesting how people see what they want to see, or bring in their own preconceived notions.

the point of this thread is not about ignoring Stevie, it's about enjoying what Lindsey does during the show.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-24-2013, 08:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

You know, I've always been a Fleetwood mac fan. After their heyday, I've always thought that lindsey kept developping outside and inside FM in a more interesting way than Stevie did. From the moment I joined The Ledge I was flabbergasted about the tribes over here, and before I knew it, the so called Chiffons did such a defensive appeal on me that I found myself in a camp.

But at heart- I'm a macfan and I'll always be. Therefore, the topic is not really my Cup Of Tea...

Old 05-24-2013, 08:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I don't know, shackin'up. I don't think this thread is really about FM-fan tribalism. It's just a fun subversion of the usual focus of these performances. I'm really enjoying these clips.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think people are taking this thread way too seriously.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't know, shackin'up. I don't think this thread is really about FM-fan tribalism. It's just a fun subversion of the usual focus of these performances. I'm really enjoying these clips.
This. I enjoy seeing what Lindsey is doing during these songs since in the traditional videos you find of the performances you miss all the nuances of what he's doing because the camera is usually focused on Stevie. I find it interesting to see what Lindsey and even Mick are up to as well. I'd say John too, but he's pretty much just standing on the side of the stage
Old 05-24-2013, 08:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post

Disappointing.
This really isn't meant to be flippant, and to be honest that's the sort of thread I was expecting too. But if that's the thread you want, why don't you start it up? Sounds like a good one to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtulip View Post
This. I enjoy seeing what Lindsey is doing during these songs since in the traditional videos you find of the performances you miss all the nuances of what he's doing because the camera is usually focused on Stevie. I find it interesting to see what Lindsey and even Mick are up to as well. I'd say John too, but he's pretty much just standing on the side of the stage
I had wondered if an equivalent thread for Mick might be amusing as well, then briefly thought about John and decided "eh!... nah." But perhaps he is a secret wild man on stage and we're all just too caught up with the other members to notice. I think that's a lovely thought.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtulip View Post
Love this idea! I have a couple videos in mind but I'll start with this one:

Love how he sticks his tongue out at 2:00 and then of course the gorgeous guitar solo starting at 3:09. Lots of other smiles throughout the video and I also love how he sings along even when he's away from the mic.
I loooove this video! I remember making gifs of it because it was so shemexy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
you know how youtube is full of videos of SN parading in the top hat instead of videos of LB playing solos and letting fans strum his guitar during GYOW?

you know how Lindsey fans may not be that delighted to listen to a lot of adult contemporary type of songs instead of LB's rockers or baroque-y lush guitar pieces?

this year i finally had a chance to see FM in action. i was worried that as a primarily a Lindsey fan i will hate FM shows. but, turns out that there is a lot of stuff for Lindsey-fans to do during SN songs. like, watch and interact with Lindsey who has time to interact with audience the way he doesn't during his solo shows.

so while i will still complain about having to listen to many songs i don't like, not being able to influence the setlist changes or get any requests, show not going off track almost ever, outrageous ticket prices, having to be at a huge arena instead of at a nice intimate venue, no m&gs with LB where you can file all your complaints about the show with him (unless he drops in on Mick's like he did in Vancouver and Tacoma), i have to say there's still a lot of fun to be had as a LB fan at FM show during SN songs.

i've seen some nice examples among recordings from this year's tour, and so here are 2 i saw today, Stand Back and Gold Dust Woman (a SN song that i actually love) -

and, did i mention Mick? <3
That first video, elle! Great find! I love flirty Lindsey....makes me so wish I had front row seats!
Old 05-24-2013, 11:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
oh don't get me wrong, me too. I just thought that the thread would focus on the other Maccers from Lindseyfan perspective. Interesting.

Still, I think it's a shame that you can't be critical towards whoever in the band without getting defenders in your neck. When I found this board back in the day, I thought it was mindblowing that I found à place where I could find people with the same passion. And I did. But I had never ever pictured Fleetwood Mac fans as basicly a compound with three tribes batteling eachother.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
oh don't get me wrong, me too. I just thought that the thread would focus on the other Maccers from Lindseyfan perspective. Interesting.

Still, I think it's a shame that you can't be critical towards whoever in the band without getting defenders in your neck. When I found this board back in the day, I thought it was mindblowing that I found à place where I could find people with the same passion. And I did. But I had never ever pictured Fleetwood Mac fans as basicly a compound with three tribes batteling eachother.

If you think it is bad HERE, just think what it is like actually being IN Fleetwood Mac!
Old 05-24-2013, 01:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
that's the sort of thread I was expecting too. But if that's the thread you want, why don't you start it up? Sounds like a good one to me.

Quote:
I had wondered if an equivalent thread for Mick might be amusing as well, then briefly thought about John and decided "eh!... nah." But perhaps he is a secret wild man on stage and we're all just too caught up with the other members to notice. I think that's a lovely thought.
it would! Mick has been another one who is so great to watch during these shows (although hidden drummer detracts a bit). people who i took to a show with me and were just casual listeners thought that:
a) the band as a whole is really great live and well worth seeing, they sound really tight even if you are not a fan and don't care that much about their songs.
b) Lindsey and Mick are unbelievable performers.

personally, i really enjoyed Mick's performances and was shocked when reading some of the reviews that described him as just a background to BN. they must have not been really watching the show.

now John, yeah, he is definitely not a flashy type. i watched him, definitely not a secret wild man we were just too busy to notice.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"