User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-14-2008, 11:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
I doubt he "has" to tour with them at all. If he did, he would have been speaking about it more positively leading up to this, imo, but he's just been like, "eh, maybe"-ish.
I think he was speaking about it more positively even through the first part of the UTS tour. Then, around the last half, his tone became more doubtful. Still, from 2003-2006, he was surprisingly gung ho about FM. Sounded like he had big plans for the group.

I don't think he actually needs the money, but he might be one of those people who doesn't feel confident about spending money unless it's replaced. In 1997, Stevie was talking like Lindsey had all the money in the world and nothing has changed since then, except that he got married and had 3 kids. I think he must have more than enough money to support his family even if he never works again, but I get the feeling he is somewhat frugal and would probably feel more secure if he could replenish his funds with an FM outing.

My take on Destiny Rules is that at the end, Stevie was going to do a shorter tour if he wouldn't give in about the double album. He had planned to foot the costs of the extra songs for a double album, but only because he thought he could get the cash back on a long tour. When there was a threat that the tour would be shorter, he gave in and ditched the double album idea. Now, I don't think that was the wrong move. FM probably was better off without a double album. In fact, SYW might be too long as it is. So, it probably worked out for the best. But I felt that Lindsey was being blackmailed at the end and that made me very uncomfortable. I'm not saying he doesn't threaten himself. In that talk with Mick he suggested that he might take his songs back, away from FM, if he didn't get his way.

So, let them play leverage games with each other if they want, I just want him to always have more than enough bargaining chips.

Over the last few years, he has seemed a little hungrier for FM than I would like him to be. I don't necessarily think the need is financial (hope not). I don't know WHAT it is, but I don't like it. I want him above the reach of manipulation and on the power side of tugs of war within the band, as it was and ever shall be.

As for a solo album, I have NO hope for one, unless and until these rumors about an FM event come to fruition or die (which would take a year). I just don't see the guy doing two things in such close seccession, not because he couldn't. The material is there. He could release the solo album tomorrow if he wanted. Frankly, I just think he has some kind of strange psychological inability.

Michele
Old 03-15-2008, 03:29 AM
Junior Ledgie

Default Please, not Sheryl Crow

I can't take it. Nothing against her, particularly, but FM is special and should respect it's history. This is like when a TV show is fading and they start bringing stupid celebrity guest stars. FM has always had that mysterious quality, romantic imagery... whereas Sheryl Crow's music is kind of banal.

Hey, well, I guess Christine's was a bit catchy-but-plain too.

No, just another cd with Stevie, Lindsey, and the rest. Please.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

PLEASE, dear sweet Jesus in Heaven...no Sheryl Crow and more Lindsey solo.

AMEN!
Old 03-15-2008, 05:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
I want that solo album. period.
ditto
I won't see an FM show with crow either...wtf are they thinking...a f'injoke.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
I agree, Stew... it appears to me that LB has been one of the few rockstars that didn't blow all of his cash. I mean, he lived in the same house for a very, very long time.. it's only since he's had the kids and wife that he's torn down, reconstructed, sold, and relocated. Besides, he gets a check in the mail from BMI (or ascap or whatever he belongs to) for radio plays of songs he has writer credit on.. then there are album sales for all the stuff that's been released so far, greatest hits and all of that type of crap included. seriously, I doubt he "has" to tour with them at all. If he did, he would have been speaking about it more positively leading up to this, imo, but he's just been like, "eh, maybe"-ish.

Didn't he live in a really expensive hotel for a year though? I don't think Lindsey has been immune to excess.
That said, aside from Mick, I doubt that any of Fleetwood Mac need the money at this point.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost View Post
Didn't he live in a really expensive hotel for a year though?
Yeah, but I guess he made up for it when he sold his house for 21.5 million.

I always thought it odd that John only wanted 1.6 million for his house and that was when real estate was still hot and terribly inflated, in 2004. Just your average middle class house would cost $1.6. Didn't sound like rock star digs.

Michele
Old 03-16-2008, 09:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Red Rover Live

I've been watching this live Red Rover from the Buckingham tour a few years ago:

I think it sounds really good. But I notice that the four guys onstage are playing a relatively minor role in what we're hearing. There's only one guitarist -- Lindsey -- & I don't think he is covering all the guitar work we're hearing. Neale isn't doing anything except singing. Taku is adding a nice shaker. Brett isn't doing anything for the first half of the song, & then he starts holding down some chords on his workstation & singing.

1. Where is the rest of the song coming from?
2. Is this how the song was done on the Fleetwood Mac tour?

This is my favorite song except for Sugar Daddy.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think it sounds like there's just one guitarist. The high melody Lindsey is playing does sound like it's been double however, possibly just a short delay on the guitar? Maybe they prerecorded an overdub of the high melody to play at the same time, but I never really thought about it before now. I don't see why it couldn't be all Lindsey playing since it's not really a particularly hard song to play. What particular parts are you hearing that you think are coming out of nowhere?

Guitars aside, there are two or three Lindsey Buckinghams singing on this track which I'm not too keen on. Either that or Brett and Neal sound really like Lindsey...
Old 03-16-2008, 10:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peestie View Post
I think it sounds like there's just one guitarist. The high melody Lindsey is playing does sound like it's been double however, possibly just a short delay on the guitar? Maybe they prerecorded an overdub of the high melody to play at the same time, but I never really thought about it before now. I don't see why it couldn't be all Lindsey playing since it's not really a particularly hard song to play. What particular parts are you hearing that you think are coming out of nowhere?
I'm not sure, Pete. What about the kick? Where is that coming from? The guitar is a bit of a whir, although I am looking at the tab you did last year. Unfortunately, I have only the first page of that tab. That's interesting that you think there may be some doubling. That might explain the fullness.

Quote:
Guitars aside, there are two or three Lindsey Buckinghams singing on this track which I'm not too keen on. Either that or Brett and Neal sound really like Lindsey...
Yes, I really doubt that Brett & Neale are doing all the vox & FX in this. Too much of it sounds like Lindsey himself. They must be playing this with what we in America call "punching in." How did they do this song on the Fleetwood Mac tour? Same personnel, right? So it was the same?
Old 03-17-2008, 12:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
How did they do this song on the Fleetwood Mac tour? Same personnel, right? So it was the same?
Carlos was there too with FM. Well, in the band. I can't positively say he played on Red Rover, because I don't remember. I think Mick came down from behind the drum kit and I can't remember what the other guitarists did.

Michele
Old 03-17-2008, 02:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peestie View Post
I think it sounds like there's just one guitarist. The high melody Lindsey is playing does sound like it's been double however, possibly just a short delay on the guitar? Maybe they prerecorded an overdub of the high melody to play at the same time, but I never really thought about it before now.
Lindsey driving a guitar synthesizer/sequencer with his playing like in the acoustic Big Love = cool.

Lindsey miming or playing along to a backing track/what's on the hard drive = ****e. But then that's what it's been for the last ten years or so.

That aside, does anyone think Red Rover should be extended to an hour long piece like Reich's Music for 18 Musicians? It has the potential.

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up
Old 03-17-2008, 07:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I'm not sure, Pete. What about the kick? Where is that coming from? The guitar is a bit of a whir, although I am looking at the tab you did last year. Unfortunately, I have only the first page of that tab. That's interesting that you think there may be some doubling. That might explain the fullness.

Yes, I really doubt that Brett & Neale are doing all the vox & FX in this. Too much of it sounds like Lindsey himself. They must be playing this with what we in America call "punching in." How did they do this song on the Fleetwood Mac tour? Same personnel, right? So it was the same?
Hmmm, looks like they had a magic kick with them that night. I'd forgotten I'd done a tab for this. Don't think I ever finished it and if I remember right it wasn't too great

I've never heard any FM live versions of this but I'd like to hear some. It would be interesting to hear if they didn't even try to hide the fact that it was Lindsey singing with backing tracks of himself. There are certainly more than enough backing singers that could have done it instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by face of glass View Post
Lindsey driving a guitar synthesizer/sequencer with his playing like in the acoustic Big Love = cool.

Lindsey miming or playing along to a backing track/what's on the hard drive = ****e. But then that's what it's been for the last ten years or so.
What do you think he's doing here, guitar-wise? Obviously vocals are on a hard drive so I suppose it wouldn't be a stretch to assume they did the same with the guitars. I guess some stuff could have been overdubbed in the studio after it was recorded as well.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I remember thinking during the UTS tour shows that it sounds like there were several pre-recorded parts. I assumed they were coming from Brett's keys, but I'm not certain. I'd have to listen to a whole concert again to identify the parts that struck me. It doesn't bother me at all.. it's not like he's lip synching. It's just a little fluff.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I remember hearing the TUSK noises and thinking...there's a recording being played somewhere... cuz none of these guys are playing...
Old 03-17-2008, 10:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by face of glass View Post
That aside, does anyone think Red Rover should be extended to an hour long piece like Reich's Music for 18 Musicians? It has the potential.
Twenty minutes or so -- mirroring Reich's Variations for Winds, Strings & Keyboards -- is quite enough.