The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-18-2014, 05:16 PM
Junior Ledgie

I think all the reasons given are probably valid. The real question to me is why does this sort of thing not happen more with bands. Typically, when a band member leaves on their own accord, they never come back. The bass player from Queen left and has zero interest in returning. Bill Wyman from the Rolling Stones, same thing. Same for the drummer from REM (Of course the whole band is retired now). There are other examples too I could come up with if I thought about it.

This is different but I like it! On with the show!
Old 04-18-2014, 11:52 PM
Senior Ledgie

Chris has mentioned her regret of never having had children. My take on her return is that she needed that time for herself, in hopes of not having anymore regrets. That phase ran it's course and she was ready to continue where she left off.

In my opinion she retired for this very reason, I really don't think it was what she genuinely wanted, she just knew she didn't want anymore regrets.

I think she felt that "emptiness" she had gotten used to on the countryside filled when she made the trip to Maui as well as when she joined for "Don't Stop" last year.

Really great post! Made me think....
Old 04-19-2014, 12:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
The way Christine has been smiling & beaming during interviews, photo shoots, public appearances, etc this past year, I have zero doubts money or intimidation have anything to do with her return. You could totally tell during the Dance era Chris wasn't enjoying herself the way she is now. I'm not terribly romantic when it comes to this band- all the fake love between Buckingham & Nicks the past 17 years borderline enrages me. But Christine's return smacks of realism to me. Yes, she retired for 16 years because she'd given her entire adult life to being on the road with Fleetwood Mac. She probably felt like she had to live life on her own terms for once, and really didn't think she'd ever return. But to quote Lindsey- her return feels "organic" to me- far more than the Dance ever did. You can't fake how giddy & serene the woman looks. She's there because she wants to be, and on her own terms.
I couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 04-19-2014, 01:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danigirl View Post
In my opinion she retired for this very reason, I really don't think it was what she genuinely wanted, she just knew she didn't want anymore regrets.
I would agree with that to an extent. I think she definitely felt bad when her father died, wishing she'd spent more time with him.

That reminds me of Stevie's dad on tour with her on his motorized scooter. They got to be together and knew the end was coming too, so that makes all the difference.

Michele
Old 04-19-2014, 05:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomv View Post
I think all the reasons given are probably valid. The real question to me is why does this sort of thing not happen more with bands. Typically, when a band member leaves on their own accord, they never come back. The bass player from Queen left and has zero interest in returning. Bill Wyman from the Rolling Stones, same thing. Same for the drummer from REM (Of course the whole band is retired now). There are other examples too I could come up with if I thought about it.

This is different but I like it! On with the show!
I think you could argue that John Deacon of Queen expected the band to end on Freddie Mercury's death and still really considers that it ended then, despite Brian May and Roger Taylor flogging it well beyond its expiry date. I think he doesn't feel there's a band to return to.

Roger Waters came back to Pink Floyd (albeit for a one-off, but had Rick Wright not died it may have been a little more). Bill Wyman came back to the Rolling Stones last year, again briefly, for some London shows.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:06 AM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulpian View Post
I think you could argue that John Deacon of Queen expected the band to end on Freddie Mercury's death and still really considers that it ended then, despite Brian May and Roger Taylor flogging it well beyond its expiry date. I think he doesn't feel there's a band to return to.

Roger Waters came back to Pink Floyd (albeit for a one-off, but had Rick Wright not died it may have been a little more). Bill Wyman came back to the Rolling Stones last year, again briefly, for some London shows.
That's a good analysis. Yes the Queen situation is a special case. Kind of like the drummer from the Doors who refused to take part in any of their reunions.

I did think of another band member who came back after a long absence. Mike Nesmith from the Monkees. Kind of weird that it happened after Davy Jones passed. Sure would have been nice to see all four of them together.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That's a good analysis. Yes the Queen situation is a special case. Kind of like the drummer from the Doors who refused to take part in any of their reunions.

I did think of another band member who came back after a long absence. Mike Nesmith from the Monkees. Kind of weird that it happened after Davy Jones passed. Sure would have been nice to see all four of them together.
Bernie Leadon has taken part in the Eagles tour this past year.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I did think of another band member who came back after a long absence.
Ron Blair rejoined Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers after a 20 year absence...
Old 04-20-2014, 10:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
She gave the real reasons openly in her recent interviews. She was lonely and missed her friends, the life with her friends, etc.

I don't think there's any mystery here. Surprising, yes. But mysterious, nah. It's a great, heart-warming story.
I think it's a little bit of what everyone's said. John's cancer probably jolted her a bit and she probably thought about her own mortality and what her legacy would be and decided to get her sh*t together. I certainly wouldn't want to go to my grave being estranged from the people who gave me the most joy in life.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GavinBrown View Post
I think she is back for a number of reasons...
1. John's cancer diagnosis (realizing anything can happen now)
2. She got over her fear of flying
3. She performed on stage and really missed it and realized that's where she is the happiest
4. Wanting to seal the legacy of the band and missed being with them
5. She didn't like the English life anymore, she missed being a star
This is the post I most agree, but whatever it is, I'm just more thn happy she's back with the Mac!
Old 04-22-2014, 04:50 AM
Ledgie

I just get the vibe that whatever issue caused her to leave in the first place - isn't an issue anymore. Just a case of rebuilt bridges. Nothing more, nothing less.