Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-23-2018, 09:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Which "Thrown Down" Is Better?: SYW Or TISL Outtake

And which has better guitar work (I presume the TISL outtake's guitarist is not Lindsey)?

Feel free to explain why you feel as you do.
Old 12-24-2018, 03:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
And which has better guitar work (I presume the TISL outtake's guitarist is not Lindsey)?

Feel free to explain why you feel as you do.
I love what Lindsey did on Thrown Down. Musically its my favorite. However, the extra lyrics Stevie threw in ruined it for me. It doesnt make a lick of sense. Because of this, I prefer the TISL version, which doesnt contain those extra lyrics.

Frankly, I find her lyrics on Thrown Down and Illume to be embarrassments. The music is stellar, but the song craft is juvenile. These songs could of been great if she werent so lazy.
Old 12-24-2018, 04:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Perhaps its ignorance, but I've never heard of a barricade being "thrown down."
Old 12-24-2018, 09:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I dig both versions, almost like two different songs altogether. The TISL version is very good though and I'm surprised they left it off, it would've made a decent single. Fast forward to SYW- it has some lovely guitar work that makes it resonate ala Gypsy. The main problem with the SYW version is the vocal as the softer guitar calls for a more wispy vocal presentation which would've taken the song into a higher league. I'm not too bothered by the clumsy lyrics here. All around though, it's one of Stevie's better post 70's songs.
Old 12-25-2018, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Thunder does happen when it's raining.
Old 12-25-2018, 09:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Thunder does happen when it's raining.
But not *only* when it's raining: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_thunderstorm
Old 12-25-2018, 01:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Im still waiting to hear if Stevie has been able to squeeze time into her schedule to see all of the seven wonders yet.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well its her barricade and she can ....roll it down, climb over it, vault it, turn a blind eye to it, lean up it....in other words its her lyrics she can put what she likes,
You wouldnt ask Dylan....
Old 12-26-2018, 11:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

TISL version, by far. I think it could have been a good single, I'm perplexed why this song would be left off and a throw-aways like "Everyday" or "I Miss You" made the cut. I think the song has some typical lazy Stevie-isms but the "you can sit outside his door and wait, you can dedicate your pain to him" sounded cool and relatable. I've done my share of dedicating my pain to people who didn't return it or deserve it. I "got" that one.

I think Lindsey ruined "Not Make Believe" by the way. Stevie's TISL demo version was a lot nicer to my ear. I don't like that he added all that whispering to her SYW music, I think he did it on purpose to make her songs sound stupid and she didn't want to stand up to him.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by petep9000 View Post
TISL version, by far. I think it could have been a good single, I'm perplexed why this song would be left off and a throw-aways like "Everyday" or "I Miss You" made the cut. I think the song has some typical lazy Stevie-isms but the "you can sit outside his door and wait, you can dedicate your pain to him" sounded cool and relatable. I've done my share of dedicating my pain to people who didn't return it or deserve it. I "got" that one.

I think Lindsey ruined "Not Make Believe" by the way. Stevie's TISL demo version was a lot nicer to my ear. I don't like that he added all that whispering to her SYW music, I think he did it on purpose to make her songs sound stupid and she didn't want to stand up to him.
Every Day was partial payment to John Shanks for producing the record. He wrote it. And yes Thrown Down should have been on the record.
Old 12-25-2018, 01:18 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
I love what Lindsey did on Thrown Down. Musically its my favorite. However, the extra lyrics Stevie threw in ruined it for me. It doesnt make a lick of sense. Because of this, I prefer the TISL version, which doesnt contain those extra lyrics.

Frankly, I find her lyrics on Thrown Down and Illume to be embarrassments. The music is stellar, but the song craft is juvenile. These songs could of been great if she werent so lazy.
I was looking at the liner notes for Say You Will recently and noticed that Stevie dedicated Illume to Rudy Giuliani. Man, that didnt age well...
Old 12-27-2018, 03:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
I love what Lindsey did on Thrown Down. Musically it’s my favorite. However, the extra lyrics Stevie threw in ruined it for me. It doesn’t make a lick of sense. Because of this, I prefer the TISL version, which doesn’t contain those extra lyrics.

Frankly, I find her lyrics on Thrown Down and Illume to be embarrassments. The music is stellar, but the song craft is juvenile. These songs could of been great if she weren’t so lazy.
FYI for those curious, the lyrics on the FM version only are the bridge (absent from the TISL outtake):

You've shaken your faith in me, no you've shaken my faith in everything else
A decision no one makes, and now you're going home
Faith is a hard thing to hold on to, something inside you says "I don't have to"
You're not like other people, you do what you want to

Last edited by cbBen; 12-28-2018 at 01:24 AM..
Old 12-28-2018, 10:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

So the best part of the song........? Shockingly, Lindsey was involved!
Old 12-28-2018, 10:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It doesn't really rhyme, but that's not something I'd complain about to Bob Dylan.

Last edited by cbBen; 12-28-2018 at 11:24 AM..
Old 12-29-2018, 07:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
FYI for those curious, the lyrics on the FM version only are the bridge (absent from the TISL outtake):

You've shaken your faith in me, no you've shaken my faith in everything else
A decision no one makes, and now you're going home
Faith is a hard thing to hold on to, something inside you says "I don't have to"
You're not like other people, you do what you want to
Don't see any problem with those, they are clever lyrics that fit the rest of the song.