User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
to go with movies metaphor LB is so fond of, and with the caveat that i obviously have no idea what i'm talking about, i would think that:
  • recording music in the studio would be like making movies - you just do little parts over and over and over again, take after take, possibly not even knowing where exactly they are in the whole script (unless you are recording live i guess). if the backing track runs away you just do another take.
  • performing on the stage would be more like acting in the theater play - you gotta go on no matter what happens, there's no retake. but you generally play of other real people so they can fill in if you make a mistake...
if you have a machine track mercilessly going in the background i would think you gotta be constantly on top of your game and cannot go off rhythm so that track doesn't run away... yeah, other people can stop it if that happens but it looks bad.
I just mean he's used to playing along with other tracks as much as he layers stuff in the studio. Other than the fact onstage there are no "do overs", he is totally in his element. I'm not overly impressed with the level of difficulty Lindsey faces in playing live with a backing track for a few reasons: he's been a live performer longer than he's been a studio rat, it's all second nature, the backing track not only provides another layer of sound but also is a security blanket in a way to help him stay on beat - not cause him to get out of sync, and he is a perfectionist, a professional, and a musical genius. This is not that hard for him.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
help him stay on beat - not cause him to get out of sync, and he is a perfectionist, a professional, and a musical genius. This is not that hard for him.
you know, you may be onto something here - from the little bit i've seen in vids we have so far, i've noticed that he doesn't keep the rhythm with his leg during the songs with the backing track, unlike what he normally always does.

i don't know whether it's hard or not for him, he just seems awfully focused constantly at these shows, and not as relaxed as with the band.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
oh, you and Pattie have both seen him enough and seen enough of UTS . you will be able to somehow survive without it i'm sure

if he adds it in, i will make sure to load up with some rotten tomatoes before i go. and they will go not just in his direction but anybody else's who keeps insisting on that song that he never stopped doing since first putting it out. and then people complain about the same sets - obviously some people want same sets!
OK-how's this for a deal? I will give up the non-existent-on-the-setlist UTS for...Tango in the Night!!!
I would love, love, love (and love some more) to hear that one live!
Old 05-08-2012, 10:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
OK-how's this for a deal? I will give up the non-existent-on-the-setlist UTS for...Tango in the Night!!!
I would love, love, love (and love some more) to hear that one live!
deal!
Old 05-08-2012, 02:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
you know, you may be onto something here - from the little bit i've seen in vids we have so far, i've noticed that he doesn't keep the rhythm with his leg during the songs with the backing track, unlike what he normally always does.
Yes, I do think that's a good point too. Just from Ken's book I learned they do use the backing track to stay in sync a lot of the time, even if it's not going to be in the actual song they will put it in for playing and recording purposes.

Michele
Old 05-08-2012, 02:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireflies View Post
the show, overall, was exceptional. however, i wish he wouldn't scream so many of the higher pitched lyrics. leelee/stella/will need to tell him that he doesn't sound good. otherwise, his voice is in great condition.
It doesn't seem like it's just the high pitched lyrics to me. It's basically any lyrics. When did Shut Us Down become such a scream fest. And honestly, no hyperbole, when he started screaming at the end of BTLH, I was a little startled. Then he brought the song down to a quiet close.

I mean, I don't guess I'm complaining, I don't care if he screams or not. I remember hearing Egan's Where's The Party and my first thought was, "Oh, yeah there's my guy." It was the way I recognized Lindsey. It was his signature, but it's definitely quirky and unnecessary.

So, you said Lee Lee and Stella. What's Will's deal? He skipped another one of Dad's shows?

Michele
Old 05-08-2012, 02:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
Oh, I would love that. I know he'd never do it, but I could see Big Love go for a TITN substitution. I think he could achieve the same finger brilliance.

Michele
Old 05-08-2012, 04:33 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
he's playing "stephanie" with a backing track. he was smirking at the front row last night for giggling at his pre-recorded count in. if you listen closely to the beginning of the video posted above, you can hear two castanet metronome beats.
Ahh interesting! I stand corrected.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Can't wait to see if there is any set list change tonight. Would be cool for my birthday show but I doubt it.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
Ahh interesting! I stand corrected.
Me too. Ha! I must say that it's a pretty big setback.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
Me too. Ha! I must say that it's a pretty big setback.
do you think it's just the beat or extra guitars? i wouldn't be happy if it's extra / layered guitars but at this point (i think?) i'm hearing mostly just those castanet metronome beats...
Old 05-08-2012, 05:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshWitchPMD View Post
Can't wait to see if there is any set list change tonight. Would be cool for my birthday show but I doubt it.
it would be cool!

what would you want?

(and please don't say UTS, you can't have that...)
Old 05-08-2012, 06:00 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
It doesn't seem like it's just the high pitched lyrics to me. It's basically any lyrics. When did Shut Us Down become such a scream fest. And honestly, no hyperbole, when he started screaming at the end of BTLH, I was a little startled. Then he brought the song down to a quiet close.

I mean, I don't guess I'm complaining, I don't care if he screams or not. I remember hearing Egan's Where's The Party and my first thought was, "Oh, yeah there's my guy." It was the way I recognized Lindsey. It was his signature, but it's definitely quirky and unnecessary.

So, you said Lee Lee and Stella. What's Will's deal? He skipped another one of Dad's shows?

Michele
maybe it's less over compensation, and more uncontrollable excitement!

i'm not familiar with "where's the party" so i can't comment.

and i did amend will to my edit, but he wasn't in attendance (i feel like any child's honesty would be helpful in this aspect). lindsey dedicated "not too late" to leelee and stella who where there with us in the audience.

maybe will is too busy buckling down with school. or he boycotts the shows as a way to show lindsey he's sick of watching him beat the **** out of kristen from the top of the staircase.

Quote:
do you think it's just the beat or extra guitars? i wouldn't be happy if it's extra / layered guitars but at this point (i think?) i'm hearing mostly just those castanet metronome beats...
the castanet doesn't play through the entire song. it's just backing guitars on the loop. when/if you go a see a show, you'll know what i mean.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
the castanet doesn't play through the entire song. it's just backing guitars on the loop. when/if you go a see a show, you'll know what i mean.
you sure it's not both? when i think back i remember hearing castanet - or something like that? - all the way through when i first listened to Pattie's recording on my phone...

yeah i'm going this weekend. and i hope he adds at least one more song by then (and that song is Rodeo)
Old 05-08-2012, 06:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
maybe will is too busy buckling down with school. or he boycotts the shows
i would think teenage boy would have things to do / other interests however great his dad may be in concert. not that it's the same, but the only time my teenager comes to work with me is if he can find the way to avoid school b/c of that...