Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-06-2006, 12:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Most Unpopular Opinions About Lindsey

Do I dare start a thread I can't finish? Well it was posted over on Stevie's forum so here's a starter for Buck's. I don't know as much about him so this list will be shorter.

1. I think the one thing Stevie and Lindsey have in common is insecurity. I think Lindsey is one of the most skittish and frightened people on the face of the planet. The two of them together? I'm surprised they made it more than a month.

2. I think Lindsey thinks he is still a wannabe rock star. In his mind, I don't think he's ever fully gotten that he made it. He's still trying to prove himself worthy and I don't think FM counts, in his opinion. For him, he needs to make it as a solo artist. That hasn't happened. That is also why it takes him a decade or more to release anything. Fear of failure again. I think Lindsey has never known how good he is. He's always trying to live up to those experimental standards and has failed every time, which is what makes him a *wannabe* or second-rate in his mind. Despite his millions and his fame, he still looks at himself as a struggling artist.
And always will

3. I think Lindsey is about as happy as someone with his mindset can be. Self-torture is his inspiration but the wife and family are great covers to the outside world. I think Lindsey needs and takes more than his fair share outside of that.
And then some

4. I think Lindsey is about as egotistical and at the same time, insecure, as someone can get. He's a little boy in the fetal position on the floor crying for someone's attention. But because he's so full of himself, he hasn't dealt with it and hides behind himself both in private and in public.

5. I think Lindsey is uncomfortable with compliments.

6. I think Lindsey will release a solo album sometime but only one more and if and when it does come out, he will kick himself in the ass for it not being what he wanted. That will then push him into endless touring with no new material with FM till they all drop.

7. I think Lindsey loves himself more than he could ever love another human being.
He also hates himself

8. I think Tusk is brilliant and he should have stuck to his guns.
This one might not be so unpopular

9. I think Say You Will was a disappointment to Lindsey and he blames himself for its borderline failure. He also blames the others for not going along with him and his vision.
Secretly, I think he loves Say You Will

And last but not least:

10. I think Lindsey is one big walking contradiction.

Last edited by lagringader&r; 03-06-2006 at 01:49 AM..
Old 03-06-2006, 01:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"

Lindsey's biggest critics are his fans, but especially:

a) those who prefer Stevie and are fed up with every claim that Lindsey was a big part in making Stevie successful

b) those who love 95% or more of what Fleetwood Mac has put out and are fed up with every claim that Lindsey Buckingham made Fleetwood Mac what it is

c) those who are just doing it in order to be goofy

Ok, now to the man himself.

Lindsey is the modern day Don Quijote. Just think about it; he's so full of himself and his philosophies (just like Don Quijote was obsessed with his knight etiquette and his preachings of how one should live one's life) that he's willing to repeat them till the end of the world without noticing that most people around him are just laughing at him.

I do think they let things get "physical and ugly" at that driveway in 1987. I also think it wasn't the only time something like that happened. But in my mind the biggest hurt was done to both through words, not through physical actions.

Agreed with Sue on #10 completely. The same man who lets his chest hair show openly to women is also a total nerd.

"Steal Your Heart Away" is utter crap.

The rhythm section production on Out Of The Cradle suits the songs just fine; if it was given a so-called "real" rhythm section a lot of the feel of the songs would be lost; IMO.

"Family Man" is a masterpiece (while most just think it's utter crap or very good or something in between).

Lindsey should still be using a Fairlight with the 8 bit sampling rate in order to make everything sound more rock and roll. But then, who's to say he isn't using it?

Oh damn, I'm running out of time now. Better hurry up.

Lindsey is an utterly childish person in his life, emotions and music. And I wouldn't want him any other way.

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up
Old 03-06-2006, 04:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

The 'fro was not cool....

The Tango hair, on the other hand, was.

I don't understand Tusk. At all. Sorry.

I'll think of more.
Old 03-06-2006, 04:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think he is insanely jealous of people he sees as a threat of some kind. I think he was, and in some way still is, so jealous of La Nicks and her popularity and apparent ease in her own talent that it eats him up inside, esp. considering they still care deeply for each other on some level.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 03-06-2006, 04:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
I think he is insanely jealous of people he sees as a threat of some kind. I think he was, and in some way still is, so jealous of La Nicks and her popularity and apparent ease in her own talent that it eats him up inside, esp. considering they still care deeply for each other on some level.
An amazing relationship, isnt it?
Old 03-06-2006, 04:24 PM
Senior Ledgie

Unpopular Opinion re: Lindsey:

He helped Stevie gain the kind of success she's had. That's an unpopular opinion that I hold. If LB hadn't brought Stevie along with him when hired by FM - she would never have produced the kind of songs on the white album and Rumours and Tusk that gained her the kind of meteoric fame that she enjoyed. Without the right timing for both Lindsey and Stevie - without Lindsey being adamant about bringing Stevie into FM - without the kind of production he knew how to put into her songs - which were skelatal at best - she wouldn't be "Stevie Nicks"....yes, she may have found some success if LB ditched her for Mick's offer...but she may have been a one hit wonder....or maintained a more cult-like following.

Fame is sooooo fickle. No matter who you know, how pretty you are, or even if you have one hit record - it's difficult to sustain a career at the top. It was the staying power that FM had at that time- and the songs Stevie created with LB at the helm that helped her popularity, and gained her access to a very successful solo career in the early 80's....albeit...with different producers..but I don't think she would have been privy to those producers without the fame of Fleetwood Mac. Although he could be a real prick to her - I often understand why he was so resentful. I don't condone it - I just empathize.

Having said that...I'm not so sure Lindsey would have been as successful without her as well.

Last edited by Boots; 03-06-2006 at 04:27 PM..
Old 03-06-2006, 04:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
I think he is insanely jealous of people he sees as a threat of some kind.
Hence his negative comments regarding Fleetwood Mac after he left. He probably had thought that if he quit the band would dissolve. They didn't, which probably was a big reality check (or slap upside the head) to him. (and especially when they got a BETTER guitarist)

Onto my "unpopular opinions":

1) He's not one of the best guitarists in the world (in fact, he's FAR from the best guitarist in Fleetwood Mac...not even in my top 5)

2) He ruined Fleetwood Mac
Old 03-06-2006, 04:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

I agree with LaGringa and LaStrandie. Also with Face of Glass on his number one, two, and the last one. (not counting A,B,C).
Maybe those aren't such unpopular opinions.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 03-06-2006, 05:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
Hence his negative comments regarding Fleetwood Mac after he left. He probably had thought that if he quit the band would dissolve. They didn't, which probably was a big reality check (or slap upside the head) to him. (and especially when they got a BETTER guitarist)
He underestimated the fighting spirit this band has to go on. They went through, IMO, a far bigger crisis when Peter left so they could handle it and move on. He couldn't.

Quote:
1) He's not one of the best guitarists in the world (in fact, he's FAR from the best guitarist in Fleetwood Mac...not even in my top 5)
I would disagree in terms of his technical proficiency but I would agree in terms of his purely playing "emotion". He doesn't set something off in my heart the way Peter, Clapton, Knopfler etc do. But I do admire his skills.

Quote:
2) He ruined Fleetwood Mac
I think that was a somewhat combined effort. You could argue they gave Lindsey too much power in terms of defining the music. I have a theory that when Lindsey lost the 'fro he lost some of his abilities for some reason. I watched some of his work on the Largo '75 gig the other night and was shocked at how fresh and great he played and sung.
Old 03-06-2006, 05:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
I agree with LaGringa and LaStrandie. Also with Face of Glass on his number one, two, and the last one. (not counting A,B,C).
Maybe those aren't such unpopular opinions.
Amber's on the Buckingham forum!

I thought my eyes deceived me!
Old 03-06-2006, 06:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hmm, well as far as unpopular opinions go, I'd say he was completely 100% right in his behavior on the DR doc, re: threatening to take the masters and keep them as his solo album. Completely justified.

I think we all know he's whiny, self indulgent, egocentric and never satisfied, so I don't think that makes them unpopular opinions. However, I totally adore him despite (and maybe because of) all those "attributes"...so is that unpopular?...

I used to be Snow White but I drifted - Mae West.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool

My thoughts are that he is a perfectionist. He needs to stop worrying about what the critics will think and just make the kind of music that he wants. at this point no matter what he puts out it will likely flop but at least us die hard fans would buy it and hopefully enjoy it.

As for SYW I thought that it was the best album they had produced since Tango. I liked the time album and Behind the Mask ,but I also found that of the three albums SYW had the least amount of songs I tend to skip over. The one complaint that I would have to make is that the album lacked a true sense of togetherness. It never felt that everybody was 100% behind the project and Stevies comments in those recent articles. also confirm my thoughts.

My feeling is that the band needs to pack it in. This business about touring next year with no new material to support is lame. The SYW tour sucked because it was like one big musical orchestra backing a band that was playing the same shop worn hits they had done to the death on every other tour. If the album was meant to reinvent the band the tour didn't reflect that at all. A fresher set list and no orchestra would have been alot better.

I actually think that the Henley Nicks show in Philly was 10x better then the Toronto Fm show in 2003.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wink I think he needs to take a break from being SO VERY intense

I think he needs to stop, stop, stop... analizing EVERYTHING to death... and being SO, SO interlectual, big word, big thoughts, intense discussions with whover will listen ---that he can sometimes come off as rather a borish man and rather a snob with too many words and not enough heart, to back it up... (Maybe that is why Stevie is always walking out on him...)
Perhaps, he should just try being simply, Lindsey!
You remember him? If you are an oldert fan...sure you do!!
The guitarist/writer/ producer that was with and sharing a personal; as well as professional life with Stevie...

Of course that was before he joined FM and became "famous and irreplacable" (in his mind). You know of course that he was the glue that kept FM together with his clever production idesa and that "Never say Die"- attitude.
The ONE and only musician (except Mick). that was SO SO important to the band...then again reality hits and EVERYONE is replacable.

Don't get me wrong,I am a realloy big fan of Linsdey Buckinham and all he has done
I love his music and his guitar -abilities are just incredible...he just needs a few Valium to chill--- and allow himself to:
ENJOY the success he has earned rather than scorn it-
Know what I mean?

Just my 2 cents--
~eclipse~

For never have I been a blue calm sea...I have always been a storm, always been a storm... sln
~~eclipse~~
Old 03-06-2006, 09:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse
I think he needs to stop, stop, stop... analizing EVERYTHING to death... and being SO, SO interlectual, big word, big thoughts, intense discussions with whover will listen ---that he can sometimes come off as rather a borish man and rather a snob with too many words and not enough heart, to back it up... (Maybe that is why Stevie is always walking out on him...)
Perhaps, he should just try being simply, Lindsey!
You remember him? If you are an oldert fan...sure you do!!
The guitarist/writer/ producer that was with and sharing a personal; as well as professional life with Stevie...

Just my 2 cents--
~eclipse~
Like Stevie, sometimes when I listen to him speak, I'm thinking, "do you even know what you just said?!" I think his message gets lost in the wordiness at times.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: ... in the shadow of this strange, strong love of you

my most unpopular opinion about Lindsey (especially around here) is that i don't think he's the hottest guy i've ever seen. sorry....

yes, he has made me melt when he has caught my eye during a concert and smiled (and his flirty smile IS hot), but as far as the general male population goes... i've seen ever so slightly hotter.

other unpopular opinions i have about lindsey:

- while i do think he's a guitar genius, and definitely a producing genius - i just don't like every song he's ever written. people call them experimental and edgy. they just don't appeal to me ears. some of them anyway. and some of them actually make my ears hurt.

- loved the fro/hippy look. hated the new wave/too much make up look

- love The Ledge

- DO think he and stevie were a good couple. i'm a sucker for passion and the whole "can't live with, can't live without you, can't deny i want you" thing. very hot.

"We're rock stars. We are not nice."
Stevie Nicks, the sage mother goddess fierce gypsy bitch we adore.