Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-28-2016, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
The term shipper originated with the X-Files. I was a Mulder and Scully shipper and I've been a strong Stevie and Lindsey shipper, too, but at this point, I think whatever romantic feelings SnL had for each other are long gone. I haven't always thought that and I used to read the lyrics of new Stevie and Lindsey songs with great enthusiasm looking for references to each other and swooning a bit.

I don't think there's anything wrong with shipping. The reason that it became ridiculous on this board is that a small contingent of people became overly sensitive and, in my view, delusional. If you said something like Lindsey missed Christine when she was away, they were enraged and would say don't try to make false equivalencies between Lindsey's relationship with Christine and his relationship with Stevie. [Which is funny, because I've raged about the media making false equivalencies in this campaign we've all just been through, LOL].

Or when we got to discussing song lyrics it wasn't up for interpretation. They'd say, "it can't mean anything else EXCEPT this ...." and I just thought it became insane. There were only a few people involved, but they were spoiling the entire topic. I loved the romance myself, but the fans were making the subject psychotic and impossible to discuss.

Michele
Wow, how long has it been since that?
Old 11-28-2016, 07:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
Wow, how long has it been since that?
I would say the Shipper fever dance petered out in 2014.

That's when the insults waged at others and the insults felt deeply (imagined offenses and slights if another poster disagreed) reached their height.

But you know, I had many delicious SnL moments myself. When I got the lyrics to Show You How, for instance, I almost died. Even more recently, when we had tapes of Seeds We Sow songs, but didn't have the lyric sheets yet and were trying to figure out what words he said and deciphering which songs were about Stevie, those were giddy times for me.

Can you imagine going to a concert and trying to write down strange lyrics you'd never heard before like "penny arcade of Edgar Allan Poe"? That's what I would do. And then we'd try to link them to Stevie songs. Sigh.

Michele
Old 11-28-2016, 07:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The term shipper originated with the X-Files. I was a Mulder and Scully shipper and I've been a strong Stevie and Lindsey shipper, too, but at this point, I think whatever romantic feelings SnL had for each other are long gone. I haven't always thought that and I used to read the lyrics of new Stevie and Lindsey songs with great enthusiasm looking for references to each other and swooning a bit.

I don't think there's anything wrong with shipping. The reason that it became ridiculous on this board is that a small contingent of people became overly sensitive and, in my view, delusional. If you said something like Lindsey missed Christine when she was away, they were enraged and would say don't try to make false equivalencies between Lindsey's relationship with Christine and his relationship with Stevie. [Which is funny, because I've raged about the media making false equivalencies in this campaign we've all just been through, LOL].

Or when we got to discussing song lyrics it wasn't up for interpretation. They'd say, "it can't mean anything else EXCEPT this ...." and I just thought it became insane. There were only a few people involved, but they were spoiling the entire topic. I loved the romance myself, but the fans were making the subject psychotic and impossible to discuss.

Michele
Yeah I've never thought there's any romance left or anything like that, just a different kind of love that you'd feel for someone you've known that long and have been through so much with (when they're not sick of each other that is). I just appreciate their long and winding history, dysfunctional as it is.

But omg you just reminded me. I used to watch X Files reruns ALL THE TIME and I never watched the whole show but I loved it because it was so campy and the tension between them was crazy but then they did revival a year ago and I watched it and I was so let down because it wasn't nearly as good as the original series. And Scully's hair was so different from her classic red bob I was upset.
Old 11-28-2016, 09:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
Yeah I've never thought there's any romance left or anything like that, just a different kind of love that you'd feel for someone you've known that long and have been through so much with (when they're not sick of each other that is). I just appreciate their long and winding history, dysfunctional as it is.

But omg you just reminded me. I used to watch X Files reruns ALL THE TIME and I never watched the whole show but I loved it because it was so campy and the tension between them was crazy but then they did revival a year ago and I watched it and I was so let down because it wasn't nearly as good as the original series. And Scully's hair was so different from her classic red bob I was upset.
When they tour, I think it is amazing to be on stage with someone that you might have been on stage with that exact same night 40 years ago. It's something to have come that long a way with someone.

Ah, Gillian Anderson's hair. The X-Files reboot wig and The Fall white blonde color have both upset me very much this year.

Michele
Old 11-28-2016, 10:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was completely distracted d by Gillian Anderson's style update on the X Files continuation. To me, the hair, the clothes, the car, all of it- completely clashed with the Dana Scully character we've all known for over 2 decades. I get it, they were showing that her character had progressed and moved on. Still, Scully was an extremely practical, understated character. Her own life and certainly appearance was always an afterthought that took a back seat to her unfettered devotion to research and science. I don't think that core aspect of her personality would have changed. But I digress...

Anyway, I'll freely admit to having been a past shipper as well. I still do dissect any new songs we get from the writers and attempt to find allusions to the other. However, I've long since stopped believing those two are in love. It is clear to me that the two are still creatively inspired by one another, though. They still mine their evolving relationship for songwriting material. And how could they not? It's been a very long and bizarre ride.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:13 PM

Quote:

Michele
I know exactly what you mean. It was fun to ship Lindsey and stevie. During the Dance that insane version of Silver Springs was amazing. I felt it in my bones. And the act they put on was exactly what it was.. an act.. but with some truth behind it from the past...

Then a few Ledgies took it to a level where it became like politics and they would slant any evidence they could to serve their thesis. IN EVERY THREAD!!!

Then came the Kristen or Christine bashing. Christine's return literally turned the shippers on their heads. And they even said a few things about Carol Anne (that she read) {I have talked to her a few times and this subject came up}.

And when I called a few people out on their behavior, they would say things to the effect, "we don't mind Christine being back, we're just not interested in her..." OR .. "we know he's married with children; but, we still know that these lyrics mean they are in love." OR "We only bash Carol because of the errors in her book." (meanwhile Stevie says an untruth almost every interview because she's burned her brain out. " There is no question." No debate.. No discussion.. just shipper land.. which became really creepy....

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 11-29-2016 at 07:15 PM..
Old 11-29-2016, 07:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I know exactly what you mean. It was fun to ship Lindsey and stevie. During the Dance that insane version of Silver Springs was amazing. I felt it in my bones. And the act they put on was exactly what it was.. an act.. but with some truth behind it from the past...

Then a few Ledgies took it to a level where it became like politics and they would slant any evidence they could to serve their thesis. IN EVERY THREAD!!!

Then came the Kristen or Christine bashing. Christine's return literally turned the shippers on their heads. And they even said a few things about Carol Anne (that she read) {I have talked to her a few times and this subject came up}.

And when I called a few people out on their behavior, they would say things to the effect, "we don't mind Christine being back, we're just not interested in her..." OR .. "we know he's married with children; but, we still know that these lyrics mean they are in love." OR "We only bash Carol because of the errors in her book." (meanwhile Stevie says an untruth almost every interview because she's burned her brain out. " There is no question." No debate.. No discussion.. just shipper land.. which became really creepy....
Yeah, I guess things like this happened I just never saw any of it (I used to read threads here before I joined), I always had a different idea of what a 'shipper' is. More just like a fan, you know. There are extreme/delusional people in any fan group of anything so I guess even here too.

I didn't see anything but people excited about Christine, but I did see some people annoyed at Mick because they said the reason that they had all these tours back to back was because he needs money

Carol Ann seems a bit odd though, I saw that thing where she flipped her lid on Nicole who's always really nice to people and Nicole had to reply saying she never even said anything bad about her or her book and that other time apparently she like yelled at someone who pointed out that a picture she posted saying was her on her old couch in her basement was actually a picture of Stevie. I guess it's nice that she interacts with people on Facebook but part of me thinks it's kind of odd that she does that, idk why.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one who was completely distracted d by Gillian Anderson's style update on the X Files continuation. To me, the hair, the clothes, the car, all of it- completely clashed with the Dana Scully character we've all known for over 2 decades. I get it, they were showing that her character had progressed and moved on. Still, Scully was an extremely practical, understated character. Her own life and certainly appearance was always an afterthought that took a back seat to her unfettered devotion to research and science. I don't think that core aspect of her personality would have changed. But I digress...
Right? I never watched the show in its entirety and I know it's shallow but the appearance bugged me, the way she was she never struck me as someone who'd change her hair, that little thing just ended up making me enjoy it less.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I guess things like this happened I just never saw any of it (I used to read threads here before I joined), I always had a different idea of what a 'shipper' is. More just like a fan, you know. There are extreme/delusional people in any fan group of anything so I guess even here too.

I didn't see anything but people excited about Christine, but I did see some people annoyed at Mick because they said the reason that they had all these tours back to back was because he needs money

Carol Ann seems a bit odd though, I saw that thing where she flipped her lid on Nicole who's always really nice to people and Nicole had to reply saying she never even said anything bad about her or her book and that other time apparently she like yelled at someone who pointed out that a picture she posted saying was her on her old couch in her basement was actually a picture of Stevie. I guess it's nice that she interacts with people on Facebook but part of me thinks it's kind of odd that she does that, idk why.
No comment.. lol.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
No comment.. lol.
I mean, like I said, I don't really know. I just remember someone asked Richard Dashut about that thing with the couch photo so someone reblogged it on Tumblr and I read it and I just thought her reaction was really weird.

For all I know she could be the nicest person on the planet.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:56 PM

Quote:
I mean, like I said, I don't really know. I just remember someone asked Richard Dashut about that thing with the couch photo so someone reblogged it on Tumblr and I read it and I just thought her reaction was really weird.

For all I know she could be the nicest person on the planet.
She's a sweetheart.. and great sense of humor. If you go back and read some of the archives of that website you can get a feel for the sentiment and creepiness over there. Just the hatred for Christine alone was staggering.

Haven't been there in a long time, but some of the comments are laughable.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
She's a sweetheart.. and great sense of humor. If you go back and read some of the archives of that website you can get a feel for the sentiment and creepiness over there. Just the hatred for Christine alone was staggering.

Haven't been there in a long time, but some of the comments are laughable.
I loved Richard's blog. He got some weird questions for sure but all his answers were really nice and diplomatic. He had such a sunshine-y attitude towards everything and he shared so many interesting tidbits and stories. I remember reading a long, funny one about when they went on a skiing trip or something and he said how Lindsey was embarrassed because he wasn't a good skier and he likes to be good at everything.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:
I loved Richard's blog. He got some weird questions for sure but all his answers were really nice and diplomatic. He had such a sunshine-y attitude towards everything and he shared so many interesting tidbits and stories. I remember reading a long, funny one about when they went on a skiing trip or something and he said how Lindsey was embarrassed because he wasn't a good skier and he likes to be good at everything.
It was kind of like that. (Richard's blog).. If he said something that didn't support LB or SN being together people would attack him. If he favored LB in a story, chiffons would attack him.

I have no doubt why he stopped answering questions. Some of the Stevie fans are worse than the shippers. They have a story in their head about how things are and that's final!! Even if you were there like Carol or Richard, if you don't agree with how it's in my head, you're toast.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It was kind of like that. (Richard's blog).. If he said something that didn't support LB or SN being together people would attack him. If he favored LB in a story, chiffons would attack him.

I have no doubt why he stopped answering questions. Some of the Stevie fans are worse than the shippers. They have a story in their head about how things are and that's final!! Even if you were there like Carol or Richard, if you don't agree with how it's in my head, you're toast.
And people wonder why I stay out of the Stevie forum...

Not saying ALL, but some Stevie fans are just f*cking nuts.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
And people wonder why I stay out of the Stevie forum...

Not saying ALL, but some Stevie fans are just f*cking nuts.
I mean even Wendy Welch was banging on Christine's personality and I accepted it. I can see that any of these people can be beyond reproach. And then their fans are, too. Money changes people. Fandom changes people. Having an obsession changes people.

It's really just a part of life.

Hey how about that steamy Buck/McVie sexy rumour!!! Kristen is gonna be maaaaaaaaaaaaddddddd...