User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
Warners had with Youtube not paying for video streaming, or enough, so they yanked them... His videos were pulled like a ton of other Warner acts videos at the time...
yes - so if his CD is not on warners label, they wouldn't have the rights, and wouldn't be able to pull.

Quote:
but weren't alot of them self made road movies? If that's the case, you could probably blame Lindsey himself for not popping those back up.
oh i definitely agree with that - just look at the great progress of his new web site btw, many of those videos are available now, but not linked from his youtube channel.

he probably will stay with reprise out of pure laziness, but personally i think it would be better if he doesn't. wasn't tom whaley on his side while at reprise?
Old 01-18-2011, 08:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
yes - so if his CD is not on warners label, they wouldn't have the rights, and wouldn't be able to pull.

oh i definitely agree with that - just look at the great progress of his new web site btw, many of those videos are available now, but not linked from his youtube channel.

he probably will stay with reprise out of pure laziness, but personally i think it would be better if he doesn't. wasn't tom whaley on his side while at reprise?
Yeah, I think he was... Rob Cavallo was too.. he produced some of his recent tracks and he's now the Chairman of WB... So he has some friends there...
Old 01-18-2011, 08:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
If I was Lindsey, I'd release it myself. I would utilize social media like twitter and facebook to get the word out. I'd work directly with FM fan sites (like the Ledge) and post stuff on YouTube. I would do in-studio appearances at AAA radio stations and satellite radio. I would sell it on iTunes and offer signed copies bought directly from my website. I would go on SNL. I would try to license my songs to TV shows, movies and commercials. And, yes, I would do the unthinkable- open up for Stevie Nicks on tour.
alternatively, he can have some small label doing packaging and shipping, etc on anything physical like CDs, but do any promotion on his own/through any manager he might have.

yes, nobody expects him to sell a ton, that's a starting assumption.

i don't understand opening for SN part.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yeah, I think he was... Rob Cavallo was too.. he produced some of his recent tracks and he's now the Chairman of WB... So he has some friends there...
i thought cavallo is more of a business thinking type, who was instrumental in holding 1998 GoS back? (but also instrumental in arranging mac's 1997 comeback)
Old 01-18-2011, 09:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
alternatively, he can have some small label doing packaging and shipping, etc on anything physical like CDs, but do any promotion on his own/through any manager he might have.

yes, nobody expects him to sell a ton, that's a starting assumption.

i don't understand opening for SN part.
Yes, he could farm out the menial work of packaging, printing and shipping, but he shouldn't share royalties with the people doing these administrative things. He may sell fewer copies on his own, but he gets to keep all the profit.

As for opening for Stevie... that is the perfect audience for him. These are people who know Lindsey very well but may not be convinced to buy any of his music. If he can win them over, her fans become his fans. I can't think of anyone else with a more optimal audience.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
As for opening for Stevie... that is the perfect audience for him. These are people who know Lindsey very well but may not be convinced to buy any of his music. If he can win them over, her fans become his fans. I can't think of anyone else with a more optimal audience.
this whole thread as i understand it, as well as LB's solo music, is going in a completely different direction, though. potentially finding more suitable audience, not trying once again the audience that has already decided they do not like the "left palette" type of music. if he's opening for somebody (which i'd prefer he doesn't b/c i'd rather see him in smaller venues), it should be somebody who's better fit musically. why go backwards?
Old 01-18-2011, 10:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Exactly. Which is why it would make perfect sense for them to do a BN tour - he could open, then she could go on and they could close as BN. They are with "their" audience and yet have been able to perform individually - both doing Fleetwood Mac 'signature' songs within their solo set, as they are apt to do and then giving their loyal fans the one thing they always missed - a chance to see Buckingham Nicks as they originally intended it to be. Nostalgia sells.

Quote:
this whole thread as i understand it, as well as LB's solo music, is going in a completely different direction, though. potentially finding more suitable audience, not trying once again the audience that has already decided they do not like the "left palette" type of music. if he's opening for somebody (which i'd prefer he doesn't b/c i'd rather see him in smaller venues), it should be somebody who's better fit musically. why go backwards?
It more going circular as he would say...
Old 01-18-2011, 11:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
I've never read anything about his contracts but I would bet it's tied in with the Mac. You know, so many solo per Mac release or something. Being managed by Azoff ain't too shabby
Yep. I'm willing to bet that's how it went down.

And while Lindsey seems to have come a long way in dealing with Stevie's greater commercial success, I think being her opening act might be a little too hard on his male ego.

Nah, if they're gonna tour together, they gotta do it right - BN all the way, babe!

Old 01-19-2011, 09:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It's actually sad that it makes NO SENSE whatsoever to have Lindsey open for Stevie. In Fleetwood Mac, yes, they are perfect. As Buckingham Nicks, yes perfect. But their two solo sets smooshed against each other: nonsense. And they are both the worse for it.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
Yep. I'm willing to bet that's how it went down.

And while Lindsey seems to have come a long way in dealing with Stevie's greater commercial success, I think being her opening act might be a little too hard on his male ego.

Nah, if they're gonna tour together, they gotta do it right - BN all the way, babe!
I agree. I couldn't see Lindsey opening for Stevie. They could tour as co-headliners and also do Buckingham Nicks material.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fannymac View Post
Really.....why stay with a label that's going to do NOTHING to work his records? That's part of the perks of being with a major...the extra money for promotion. But if there's no money being spent on you....why stay?
I thought Lindsey's contract ran thru UTS.....that's why I was so surprised to see him re-up with them for GOS....there's a song on GOS where he even comments on labels giving five seconds of their time.....why bother?
I sure hope it's not his ego preventing him from going the indie route.
I would assume he stays with Warner/Reprise because he knows he'll get paid, even if the album doesn't do well. He wouldn't have that guarantee at an indie label.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by holidayroad View Post
I would assume he stays with Warner/Reprise because he knows he'll get paid, even if the album doesn't do well. He wouldn't have that guarantee at an indie label.
Maybe he would have changed labels were he younger and not supporting a family. I know he attempted to take a risk with the Say You Will album's proposed double disc, but with the music industry as fickle as it is now maybe he's realised that he needs to play safe if they want to support their lifestyle? He still puts his all and more into his music, so I don't believe for a moment that he could ever be accused of selling out, though. If he was, you'd see him soon on a commercial for Snickers bars or Sneakers. "Its Lindsey Buckingham, for Snickers! 'Sometimes I'm doing a guitar solo and I haven't eaten for like, three fu.ckin' weeks... I'll eat a Snickerrrssssss!'
Old 01-19-2011, 09:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
For all this trash talk about WB, has anyone seen a truly successful indie promotional campaign?

If I was Lindsey, I'd release it myself. I would utilize social media like twitter and facebook to get the word out. I'd work directly with FM fan sites (like the Ledge) and post stuff on YouTube. I would do in-studio appearances at AAA radio stations and satellite radio. I would sell it on iTunes and offer signed copies bought directly from my website. I would go on SNL. I would try to license my songs to TV shows, movies and commercials. And, yes, I would do the unthinkable- open up for Stevie Nicks on tour. In this day and age, "distribution" via a major label is almost a non-issue because there are so few brick-n-mortar retail outlets for music remaining. Sure, he's not going to move a sh*t ton of copies this way, but he's not going to on a major label either.
I think he should hire you!
Old 01-19-2011, 04:52 PM
Senior Ledgie

If anyone should be opening for the other... it would be Stevie for Lindsey. Honestly I don't believe either one should be opening at all. The whole idea is nonsense.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Stevie and Lindsey together as a team are great, but they really don't appeal to the same people in their solo careers, at least not in the same ways.