The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-01-2020, 08:25 AM
Andy Man's Avatar
Andy Man Andy Man is offline
Senior Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 145
Default The Lindsey Buckingham Masterpiece that never was...???

What do you think?

Side A

01 - What's The World Coming To
02 - Murrow Turning Over In His Grave
03 - Miranda
04 - Red Rover
05 - Come

Side B

06 - Peacekeeper
07 - Bleed To Love Her
08 - Steal Your Heart Away
09 - Love Minus Zero/No Limit
10 - Say Goodbye
__________________
..but never have i been a blue calm sea, i have always been a storm...

Reply With Quote
.
  #2  
Old 05-01-2020, 10:30 AM
lbfan lbfan is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 472
Default Masterpiece

I think most fans consider the original Gift of Screws (bootlegs circulating, cannabalized into several records, Under The Skin, Say You Will, the official Gift of Scews, etc.) as the masterpiece that never was.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-01-2020, 11:58 PM
cbBen cbBen is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 864
Default

Strongly dislike "Come" and don't much care for "What's The World Coming To" (complaint rock), "Red Rover," "Peacekeeper," or that too-fast arrangement of "Say Goodbye" (though I like the song).
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-03-2020, 11:57 AM
elle's Avatar
elle elle is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: DC
Posts: 11,305
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Man View Post
What do you think?

Side A

01 - What's The World Coming To
02 - Murrow Turning Over In His Grave
03 - Miranda
04 - Red Rover
05 - Come


Side B

06 - Peacekeeper
07 - Bleed To Love Her
08 - Steal Your Heart Away
09 - Love Minus Zero/No Limit

10 - Say Goodbye
thanks for this thread! always happy to talk about GOS1 - the most spectacular LB solo album that never happened.

i bolded songs a love - so basically your opening and ending song choices i cannot stand but all others would be in my pick as well.

What's The World Coming to was not on the original GOS and doesn't deserve to be, imo. musically, i never cared for that song. and when Nicks' horrible nasal voice come in, my ears just start to bleed and i have to skip to another song, if i haven't immediately after the song started already.

adore Lindsey's version of Love Minus Zero (also not on original GOS). his little ornate guitar parts add something special to it. very different from Clapton's version, for example.

never care for Say Goodbye - the fast or the slow version. such schmaltz. in fact, the very definition of schmaltz. no Lindsey, no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbfan View Post
I think most fans consider the original Gift of Screws (bootlegs circulating, cannabalized into several records, Under The Skin, Say You Will, the official Gift of Screws, etc.) as the masterpiece that never was.
agree 1000 %, as you know already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
Strongly dislike "Come" and don't much care for "What's The World Coming To" (complaint rock), "Red Rover," "Peacekeeper," or that too-fast arrangement of "Say Goodbye" (though I like the song).
interesting. you are selecting many of the songs that are fantastic but different from decades old mac formula. and that's fine if one likes formula, something familiar to wrap you in its warmth.

Come and Red Rover are amazing songs, and propelling Mac and Lindsey's music forward instead of keep on running to stand still. WTWCT i already bashed above, so i'm with you there. musically WYWCT and Peacekeeper (Mac version) are regular run of the mill songs. lyrics-wise, they are way forward for Lindsey, instead of i-love-you/you-don't-love-me stuff that Mac's 3 classic songwriters became famous for. while i can't stand WTWCT, i actually love Peacekeeper, especially the much faster solo version.
__________________

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-03-2020, 03:31 PM
David's Avatar
David David is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: California
Posts: 13,917
Default

You guys are despoiling some of my favorite songs. I’m going back to Facebook for a few hours.
__________________

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-03-2020, 03:54 PM
elle's Avatar
elle elle is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: DC
Posts: 11,305
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
You guys are despoiling some of my favorite songs. I’m going back to Facebook for a few hours.
haha - wrapped in the warmth of facebook group think, no?

tell us David, i always learn something from your opinions!
__________________

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-07-2020, 12:11 AM
michelej1 michelej1 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: California
Posts: 25,311
Default

That is why I don’t want an acoustic COVID-19 concert. Because Lindsey would be ‘saying goodbye‘ for 90 minutes in a whisper voice.

You say goodbye to me strum, strum, strum. I say good bye to you strum. Strum, strum. You say good bye to me, strum, strum, strum ...”


I’d have to kill myself.

But I enjoyed the song in concert because Stevie and Lindsey were very cute together. Oh don’t hate. They were cute. Too bad she’s dead now.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-07-2020, 09:28 AM
jbrownsjr jbrownsjr is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 12,429
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
That is why I don’t want an acoustic COVID-19 concert. Because Lindsey would be ‘saying goodbye‘ for 90 minutes in a whisper voice.

You say goodbye to me strum, strum, strum. I say good bye to you strum. Strum, strum. You say good bye to me, strum, strum, strum ...”


I’d have to kill myself.

But I enjoyed the song in concert because Stevie and Lindsey were very cute together. Oh don’t hate. They were cute. Too bad she’s dead now.
You managed to make me laugh twice today. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to check out some Wolfgang melodies. I think I'll play the 40th Symphony. That's one of my fav's
__________________
I would tell Christine Perfect, "You're Christine f***ing McVie, and don't you forget it!"
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-07-2020, 09:27 PM
button-lip's Avatar
button-lip button-lip is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Argentina
Posts: 2,228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
But I enjoyed the song in concert because Stevie and Lindsey were very cute together. Oh don’t hate. They were cute. Too bad she’s dead now.
If only….
__________________
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-07-2020, 10:14 PM
HomerMcvie's Avatar
HomerMcvie HomerMcvie is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Indiana/Tennessee
Posts: 11,906
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
If only….
One can dream....


(I wrote that yesterday, but deleted it...I didn't want to be the first)
__________________
I will CRUSH YOU!!!! KAREN BRING ME MY FLIP PHONE!
And I'm David, not Homer!(we all should be able to change our name, at least once)
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-08-2020, 01:11 AM
cbBen cbBen is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 864
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
lyrics-wise, they are way forward for Lindsey.
"Everyone's gone to the moon / What's the world coming to" is IMO just awful. And much of the verse lyrics are, again IMO, Lindsey at his most self-pitying – a truly unattractive trait.

Last edited by cbBen; 05-08-2020 at 01:14 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-08-2020, 09:09 PM
button-lip's Avatar
button-lip button-lip is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Argentina
Posts: 2,228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
One can dream....


(I wrote that yesterday, but deleted it...I didn't want to be the first)
Oh, you know, I'm following Stevie's steps. I don't have to feel remorse because I think I didn't do anything wrong at all…

She would be proud of me.
__________________
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-09-2020, 03:31 PM
vivfox's Avatar
vivfox vivfox is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 13,560
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
That is why I don’t want an acoustic COVID-19 concert. Because Lindsey would be ‘saying goodbye‘ for 90 minutes in a whisper voice.

You say goodbye to me strum, strum, strum. I say good bye to you strum. Strum, strum. You say good bye to me, strum, strum, strum ...”


I’d have to kill myself.

But I enjoyed the song in concert because Stevie and Lindsey were very cute together. Oh don’t hate. They were cute. Too bad she’s dead now.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved