The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-06-2017, 03:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

From an interview with Giorgio Moroder: http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...-guetta-weeknd

“Take My Breath Away,” recorded by Berlin for Top Gun, won both the Golden Globe and Oscar for Best Original Song in 1986. Didn’t several other singers took a crack at it before Terri?

Several. [The Motels’] Martha [Davis] did one. It came out nice, but [producers] Jerry [Bruckheimer] and Don [Simpson] didn’t think it was right. We gave it to Stevie Nicks. I don’t think she said she doesn’t like it, [but] she passed. There was a male British singer, Paul Young, and then I think we had somebody else.

“Remember, in the grand scheme of things, what we do for a living is not very important. After all, we’re not curing cancer here.” - John McVie
http://goldduststevie.tumblr.com/
Old 06-06-2017, 04:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
It's so strange to hear audio from Michigan with Cornell sounding chipper, just hours before taking his own life. His wife said he sounded normal on the phone too.

Michele
His wife said his behavior had been STRANGE and out of character the days before/day of his death ...

anyone can fake happy on a phone
Old 07-20-2017, 07:34 AM

Watch Harry Styles take over 'The Tonight Show'

Careful what your guests wish for, Jimmy Fallon.

During Harry Styles' appearance on The Tonight Show Wednesday, the talk show host presented his guest with a jade bottle he said was given to him by Stevie Nicks. According to the legend told by Fallon, if you make a wish and blow into the bottle it will come true.

After the Dunkirk actor hesitantly did as he was instructed, the comedian clutched his chest and fell to the ground. The Sign of the Times singer wasted no time taking Fallon's place behind the host desk and hyping the crowd up for the evening's show.

Looks like practicing on The Late Late Show made perfect.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...lon/103851904/
Old 07-24-2017, 02:50 PM

The 150 Greatest Albums Made By Women

70. Stevie Nicks
Bella Donna
(Modern, 1981)

On September 3, 1981, Stevie Nicks graced the cover of Rolling Stone magazine, flanked only by the same pet cockatoo that accompanied her on the cover of her newly-released solo debut, Bella Donna. In the sub-header, Rolling Stone dubbed Nicks the "Reigning Queen of Rock & Roll" — a title cemented two days later when Bella Donna hit No. 1 on the Billboard 200 chart. It was a seminal turning point in Nicks' career, transforming her from one of three songwriters in Fleetwood Mac into a bona fide icon. Here was the ethereal gypsy woman pulling back the shroud and emerging stronger than ever. Her voice unfurled, backed by a propulsive guitar riff on "Edge of Seventeen," one of the album's four Top 40 singles and arguably her most recognizable song. (Destiny's Child even sampled the riff in their 2001 hit, "Bootylicious," with Nicks making a cameo appearance in the music video.) With "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around" (featuring Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers) and "Leather and Lace" (featuring the Eagles' Don Henley) peaking at No. 3 and No. 6 respectively, Nicks not only proved that she could hold court with some of the biggest male names in rock, but that she was a pioneer in her own right. Throughout the years, Nicks' voice has been a gateway to a world of depth, and her words a vehicle for nostalgia. As she sings midway through Bella Donna, "the feelings remain" long after these songs end. But when it comes to Stevie Nicks, the glitter never fades. —Desiré Moses (WNRN)

http://www.npr.org/2017/07/24/538354...y-women-page-9
Old 07-24-2017, 05:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
The 150 Greatest Albums Made By Women

70. Stevie Nicks
Bella Donna
(Modern, 1981)

On September 3, 1981, Stevie Nicks graced the cover of Rolling Stone magazine, flanked only by the same pet cockatoo that accompanied her on the cover of her newly-released solo debut, Bella Donna. In the sub-header, Rolling Stone dubbed Nicks the "Reigning Queen of Rock & Roll" — a title cemented two days later when Bella Donna hit No. 1 on the Billboard 200 chart. It was a seminal turning point in Nicks' career, transforming her from one of three songwriters in Fleetwood Mac into a bona fide icon. Here was the ethereal gypsy woman pulling back the shroud and emerging stronger than ever. Her voice unfurled, backed by a propulsive guitar riff on "Edge of Seventeen," one of the album's four Top 40 singles and arguably her most recognizable song. (Destiny's Child even sampled the riff in their 2001 hit, "Bootylicious," with Nicks making a cameo appearance in the music video.) With "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around" (featuring Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers) and "Leather and Lace" (featuring the Eagles' Don Henley) peaking at No. 3 and No. 6 respectively, Nicks not only proved that she could hold court with some of the biggest male names in rock, but that she was a pioneer in her own right. Throughout the years, Nicks' voice has been a gateway to a world of depth, and her words a vehicle for nostalgia. As she sings midway through Bella Donna, "the feelings remain" long after these songs end. But when it comes to Stevie Nicks, the glitter never fades. —Desiré Moses (WNRN)

http://www.npr.org/2017/07/24/538354...y-women-page-9
Only number 70?! Oh well it's number 1 in my heart!
Old 07-25-2017, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24karatstevie View Post
Only number 70?! Oh well it's number 1 in my heart!
And behind Spice Girls, Madonna and Destiny's Child nonetheless. Also putting Beyonce's Lemonade at 6th higher than Patti Smith and Janis Joplin feels like a joke but all's subjective.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I guess it's based on the impact they have had on women? Not really sure tbh.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

In the August 11 issue of Entertainment Weekly, there is an article about the reboot of Will & Grace. It mentions how most of the test audience who watched the original series pilot didn't realize Will was gay, "despite him talking about Stevie Nicks' fashion sense and professing his love for George Clooney before the opening credits had even begun rolling."
Old 08-06-2017, 07:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
In the August 11 issue of Entertainment Weekly, there is an article about the reboot of Will & Grace. It mentions how most of the test audience who watched the original series pilot didn't realize Will was gay, "despite him talking about Stevie Nicks' fashion sense and professing his love for George Clooney before the opening credits had even begun rolling."
Whoever wrote the EW article needs to do their homework. It was actually GRACE who made the comment about Stevie in the opening of the Pilot episode.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
Whoever wrote the EW article needs to do their homework. It was actually GRACE who made the comment about Stevie in the opening of the Pilot episode.
Really? I remembered it as Will too. I thought he was critiquing something from Grace's wardrobe and made the comparison. Guess I'm going to have to find that episode and watch it again.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
Really? I remembered it as Will too. I thought he was critiquing something from Grace's wardrobe and made the comparison. Guess I'm going to have to find that episode and watch it again.
Will - "Did you get that black flowy thing?"

Grace - "No. It was too 'Stevie Nicks: the heavy years'."

Last edited by sorcerer999; 08-07-2017 at 01:09 PM..
Old 08-11-2017, 07:41 AM

I found and translated this interesting article from Italian journal La Repubblica:

Women's albums preferred by women: the 30 most loved

The National Public Radio, the independent organization that embraces more than 900 US radio stations, has selected 50 listeners, asking them to create a curious ranking: fishing from women albums, published between 1964 and today, they had to chose their 150 favorites. The long list, which according to NPR is "an invention, a remedy, a 'correction' of what the history of music has decreed and, hopefully, a way to start a new dialogue," reveals many surprises. The list is dominated almost entirely by American artists and, massively, by interpreters of color. And if a good part of the titles are concentrated between the mid-1960s and the early 1970s, and there are several from the 1990s, the previous decade - the 80s - is relegated to a marginal period not only in history but also in the hearts. It's surprising the presence in the top 30 of some contemporary artists such as Beyoncé (last year's Lemonade is the latest record to dominate the top 10 positions, along with 'Back to Black' by the late Amy Winehouse and '21' by Adele), as that of Fleetwood Mac, the only 'abnormal' choice in the ranking that, despite the presence of the charismatic Stevie Nicks, is a band in which the male presence has always played a key role. Another thing: the only two artists to appear twice in the top 30 are two of the biggest black voices, Aretha Franklin and Nina Simone. When the story goes hand in hand with the heart, in short. Also interesting is the presence of some 'outsiders' of the music business, in particular Patti Smith and PJ Harvey, then the feminist 'riot grrrl' Ani Difranco. Also country does quite well with cornerstones Dolly Parton, Loretta Lynn and Lucinda Williams. The hardest hip hop? There's only the 'badass girl' Missy Elliott, who is still in company, though the bar moves more toward neosoul with Lauryn Hill. And the popstars? Madonna is present, and there is also the star of Latin music Selena, killed in 1995. But surprises do not end here. Here are the first 30 discs chosen by NPR listeners, from the thirty-first to the first position, to "rethink the music putting the woman at the center."

16) Fleetwood Mac, Rumours (Warner Bros., 1977)

http://www.repubblica.it/spettacoli/...172795832/1/#1
Old 08-12-2017, 07:36 AM

Stevie Nicks gushes over Harry Styles
Harry Styles has "the world at his fingertips", according to Stevie Nicks.

The 69-year-old Fleetwood Mac star is good friends with the 'Sign of the Times' singer and believes he has the talent to sustain a long-lasting career in both music and movies.

Speaking to Mike Hosking on New Zealand's Newstalk ZB, she said: "I'm a big fan of Harry's, and I think he's a fan of me.

"I believe in Harry Styles. I think he's really good. I think he's funny, I think he's a good actor. I think he has the world at his fingertips and he's going in the right way. And I'm really happy for him and I'm glad to be a part of that."

Stevie performed on stage with Harry during his solo show at The Troubadour in Los Angeles earlier this year and she believes he asked her to join him for some moral support.

She explained: "He called and asked me if I would come and sing at the Troubadour with him. And I'm like, sure I will, but a) sing what? and b) why are you asking me? I know we're friends and everything... And he said, 'because I'm doing this alone and I would just love it if you would come and do this with me'. And I knew what he was saying, it's like, 'it would make me feel better and stronger.'"

Stevie also repeated her previous assertions that her Fleetwood Mac bandmate has "adopted" One Direction singer Harry, 23.

She said: "[Mick Fleetwood] has always wanted a son, and I think he adopted Harry. It's Harry Styles-Fleetwood now."

https://www.sundayworld.com/entertai...r-harry-styles
Old 08-20-2017, 05:58 AM

Este Haim: ‘I copy how Steve Nicks writes songs’

Haim sisters Este, Danielle and Alana have likened their meeting with Stevie Nicks to a scene in Disney classic Beauty and the Beast.

The band were taken under the wing of Fleetwood Mac legend Stevie a few years ago, and she taught them how she writes lyrics on the back of journal passages.

Este has recreated the songwriting style for her own musical offerings, and the three siblings still can’t get over how lucky they were to meet her.

“The way she journals, I was like, that is so genius!” Este told DIY magazine. “It’s so simple! And now we have these magical little books that depict everything that’s been going on in our lives.”

“Stevie Nicks’ tips,” Danielle added with a smile. “We were super lucky, she took us in her arms, and taught us about journals.”

“It’s like that scene in Beauty and the Beast, where she sees a library for the first time,” Este continued. “And the beast is like, ‘this is all yours’ She walks in, and there’s bound books, upon bound books.”

Haim recently released their second album, Something to Tell You, which reached the top 10 around the globe.

It came nearly four years after their debut record, and the U.S. sisters admit they’d barely left the country before finding success with their first album, Days Are Gone.

“We started playing live as kids, and that’s the part of being in a band that’s so much fun; you get to run around and play music,” Alana grinned. “It’s a dream. Before Days Are Gone I had never really been outside the U.S. It was a culture shock, like, ‘woah, I’m in places I learned about at…’ Places you see in books!”

“Coming back, we had all those experiences to write about, and to draw from.”

http://www.music-news.com/news/UK/10...s-writes-songs
Old 08-23-2017, 04:49 AM

7 trends fashion editors will be embracing for the new season

The new season is upon us, and with it, a plethora of new trends to embrace - and many to avoid. The Telegraph’s fashion editors share their AW17 favourites...

Kate Finnigan will be channeling 70s bohemia

I’m of the opinion that once you’ve found the silhouette that suits you, stick to it. Mine is long and cinched in at the waist. That can take me from Katharine Hepburn style slacks and a blouse to floaty maxi dresses via a cropped knit and a mid-length A-line skirt.

This season, thanks to Isabel Marant, it’s going to be a Kate Bush/Stevie Nicks homage - a three-quarter length chiffon or silk dress with a wild print and a waterfall hem, a big belt and over-the-knee boots. It’s always a pleasure and a relief when you spot your signature silhouette on the catwalk so shout out to Marant for providing my phew-I-can-still-be-relevant moment for autumn. And also for making me consider over-the-knee...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/fashion/s...ng-new-season/