Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-12-2002, 09:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Mirage?

Ok, maybe I'm a complete idiot, but where did the title Mirage come from? I don't think I've ever heard where it came about.

Thanks!!

"Oh I let you slip away there was nothing I could do. That was so long ago still I often think of you..."-Lindsey Buckingham

"I didn't come here to be a mother, I didn't come here to be a nun, and I did not come here to be a cleaning lady; I came here to be a poet"-Stevie Nicks
Old 08-13-2002, 09:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The story is that it somehow originated from Lindsey's aunt Nancy Buckingham who is thanked in the album's liner notes.
Old 08-15-2002, 04:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I always wondered, too. I thought it was cool how they worked the whole mirage thing into the Hold Me video.
Old 08-16-2002, 02:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

For that matter, where did the title for Law & Order come from?
Old 08-22-2002, 11:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Law & Order

Quote:
Originally posted by sulamith
For that matter, where did the title for Law & Order come from?
Hi,

In a few radio interviews he did, he discussed how the title was about setting some personal laws and orders by which you live your life. He kind of alludes to that here in this excerpt from The Record (1982), as he discussed the album's theme and his reasons for choosing the cover songs he chose on that album.

Q. Looking at the lyrics to "Satisfied Mind," it could say a lot about your experiences going from obscurity to multi-platinum in relatively short order.

One of the themes running through the album is basically trying to keep a sense of order about your life, living by certain rules that you make for yourself.

Most of rock has basically an escapist theme to it, promoting the idea of living by no rules at all. It's about living for the moment and not really having any self-discipline, or any commitment to anything. The idea of many of the songs (on Law And Order) is to commit to something, whether or not it causes you pain, and to accept pain and happiness as parts of the whole. "It Was I," as an adolescent view of that, speaks about someone's first experience with pain in a relationship. The conclusion is to keep going and to get through it; the optimism remains about seeking future happiness rather than having a disposable relationship.

"September Song" is sort of the inverse of that. It's about someone who's been with someone for his whole life and is reaching his final years, and his perspective on having been through the pain and the happiness. He can still derive the most meaning from sharing his last days with his partner.

"Satisfied Mind" is about choosing between the pursuit of materialism and the pursuit of affection and respect and love. Obviously, the choice is clear.

Q. It's easy to know how obvious the choice is once the materialism part is taken care of.

Yeah, but you've still got to have a commitment to work and to relationships. I may not always be right, but at least my intention is a pure one.

Last edited by Les; 08-22-2002 at 11:59 AM..