User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-24-2018, 12:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
They did some Peter Green stuff when Rick Vito was in the band.

I think the biggest reason they want to revisit the early material is because 2018 is the 50th anniversary of their first two albums and Mick, Stevie, and John wanted to celebrate the 50 year legacy of the band, whereas Lindsey talks about the 43 year legacy of the Rumours lineup. Both are valid viewpoints.
Sorry but I don't buy into the idea that Mick, Stevie and John suddenly wanted to start doing deep cuts from Danny, Bob Weston or Dave Walker to celebrate the band's 50th anniversary. Further, as I mentioned in another thread, Fleetwood Mac is Mick and John's band. You can't tell me that Lindsey, Stevie or anyone else would override them if they wanted to play Oh Well, Hypnotized, Bare Trees or Tell Me All The Things You Do. And if that's what they wanted to do, they should have brought Billy and/or Rick back into the fold, two guys who were in the band and have performed Fleetwood Mac classics in their solo career.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer View Post
Sorry but I don't buy into the idea that Mick, Stevie and John suddenly wanted to start doing deep cuts from Danny, Bob Weston or Dave Walker to celebrate the band's 50th anniversary.
Rolling Stone: Aug. 28, 2017

Are you thinking at all about the set list yet? Will it be very different than the last tour?

Yeah. I was in Italy recently and met Stevie out there. Actually, she was in Capri and I was close to there. She said to me, “Let’s sit down and really listen to some stuff that sort of almost got forgotten.” So I know she’s already thinking she wants to do some things we haven’t done in years. I always think that Stevie and Lindsey should do a Buckingham Nicks song in the set. And have Christine should do a blues song. I hope it certainly won’t be the same show as we did before. We always played nearly three hours, and we cut it back a little bit for the wear and tear, but we do over two hours. And when you got three singers, which is, like, three bands, really, to get that perfect set, it’s a trip.

As for bringing back Billy, I doubt he’s up for it, while Rick doesn’t seem especially interested in it.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 09-24-2018, 09:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethemac1 View Post
From a fellow Canadian, you summed my feelings up here as well.

Thank you!

Are you going to see Lindsey in Kingston?

You mean Kitchener. I want to go but I have no way to get there as I don't drive for medical reasons.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The other thing I was going to say is the hypocrisy of the fans on Facebook. They say it is a group and the "group fired him" then when you talk about the group not doing pre 75 material they go off saying things that suggest Lindsey has the power to stop them from doing that material. He doesn't. Mick is the only founding member left and if he wanted to do older material he would have.

Correct me if I am wrong but when they did the Peter Green material on the 87-90 tours wasn't it only because Rick insisted on it?
Old 09-24-2018, 09:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
They did some Peter Green stuff when Rick Vito was in the band.

I think the biggest reason they want to revisit the early material is because 2018 is the 50th anniversary of their first two albums and Mick, Stevie, and John wanted to celebrate the 50 year legacy of the band, whereas Lindsey talks about the 43 year legacy of the Rumours lineup. Both are valid viewpoints.
You are right but my point was that FM had at that time 20 years of material to chose from and they did a total of 4 PG songs on the two tours 87-88 and 90. They did nothing from any OTHER member pre 75. If Mick really cared about those guys he would have done songs by them. The fact is he was happy doing whatever as long he was making money. Because SN has demanded they do this stuff for the new tour he is doing it and NOT because he wants to.

This tour is nothing more then a cash grab. If they end up doing a new CD it will only be because SN wants to stick it to Lindsey.

It amazes me how many fans give Mick a pass time and again for his behavior. What would have to happen before the worshipers say "I think that is too much" or " I am drawing the line here and can't support that kind of behavior" etc.

One person on Facebook said they sounded "Fresh" at Iheart. WTH. They sounded good but fresh???? There was nothing remotely fresh about that. They played hits they have done before in the same way. Nothing more nothing less.

I would also say that allot of the people acting all excited about hearing pre 75 material likely never cared for that material before and probably don't even own any material from FM that dates before 75. I own almost all the FM albums and even have solo 45's from Bob Welch and Danny Kirwan etc.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
... Oh Well, Hypnotized, Bare Trees, or Tell Me All The Things You Do ...
Examples of songs that will result in lines at the bathrooms and beer stands if they are performed. For every fan who knows and loves the Peter Green, Danny Kirwan, Bob Welch, and pre-1975 Christine songs, there are many, many more who just "want to hear the hits." My feeling is that the band might start the tour including a handful of these ancient songs, but as they observe the lack of a response from the crowds, they will pare them down to one song, probably "Oh Well."
Old 09-24-2018, 10:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicks Fan View Post
You mean Kitchener. I want to go but I have no way to get there as I don't drive for medical reasons.
My apologies, I meant Kitchener. I have a very close friend in Kingston so it was on the brain.
I’m sorry you are not going. I hope you didn’t think I was prying.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I assumed they'd do more pre-75 songs to fill the gap left by the Lindsey songs but now that they've done "Second Hand News," I wonder if they're planning on doing more of his songs as well. If so, there won't be that much room for all these obscure oldies.

I think we'll get four, tops... and probably not that many. If they drop some or most of them, I doubt they'll replace them with anything - I bet they'll just shorten the setlist.

Old 09-24-2018, 10:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The Heartbreakers have done Oh Well in their set before so it would appear Mike is likely a fan, and already plays it well. It is the most widely-known and is upbeat (unlike say Green Manalishi, though I love that too). What else? Rattlesnake Shake is raucous and fun but how many know it is another story

Round that out with 1 Neil song (and the Queen has already indicated she likes singing the "Hey now, hey now bit" and 1 Heartbreakers song (besides Stop Draggin) and that's probably it. People of a certain age will recognize DDIO but not sure about younger fans (born after 1990). I can just hear some of the younger/newer/casual fans going "Wow I didn't know this was a FM song!!"

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 09-24-2018 at 10:29 AM..
Old 09-24-2018, 10:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
I think we'll get four, tops...
Great idea! While they're doing the cover band thing, they can play "Bernadette," "It's the Same Old Song," "Sugar Pie Honey Bunch." And maybe they can get the backing vocalists to do some cool synchronized dance steps.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicks Fan View Post
You are right but my point was that FM had at that time 20 years of material to chose from and they did a total of 4 PG songs on the two tours 87-88 and 90. They did nothing from any OTHER member pre 75. If Mick really cared about those guys he would have done songs by them. The fact is he was happy doing whatever as long he was making money. Because SN has demanded they do this stuff for the new tour he is doing it and NOT because he wants to.

This tour is nothing more then a cash grab. If they end up doing a new CD it will only be because SN wants to stick it to Lindsey.

It amazes me how many fans give Mick a pass time and again for his behavior. What would have to happen before the worshipers say "I think that is too much" or " I am drawing the line here and can't support that kind of behavior" etc.

One person on Facebook said they sounded "Fresh" at Iheart. WTH. They sounded good but fresh???? There was nothing remotely fresh about that. They played hits they have done before in the same way. Nothing more nothing less.

I would also say that allot of the people acting all excited about hearing pre 75 material likely never cared for that material before and probably don't even own any material from FM that dates before 75. I own almost all the FM albums and even have solo 45's from Bob Welch and Danny Kirwan etc.
Will you marry me? I'm gay, but still.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
Great idea! While they're doing the cover band thing, they can play "Bernadette," "It's the Same Old Song," "Sugar Pie Honey Bunch." And maybe they can get the backing vocalists to do some cool synchronized dance steps.
Neil and Marylin could do “Separate Lives.”

What? We were all thinking it.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 09-24-2018, 12:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'd love to hear some of Bob's songs again, but after Christine and the RRHOF thing, I wonder if that is at all a possibility.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feather Blade View Post
I'd love to hear some of Bob's songs again, but after Christine and the RRHOF thing, I wonder if that is at all a possibility.
Now that both Bob and Wendy have passed I don't see why the RRHOF thing would be an issue. Principles don't seem to be a strong point with this band so if they are looking to mine the back catalogue as a 50 year tribute to the previous line-ups then why not? Actually Neil's voice probably lends itself quite well to Sentimental Lady. Its a pretty well known song so I could see it going down quite well at concerts.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 09-24-2018, 07:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feather Blade View Post
Anything is on the table with this bunch. Scruples are NOT their strong suit