The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-02-2006, 09:08 PM

i'm asking this honestly.. does stevie even play the piano.. or just pound chords...??? i've heard her play rhiannon and it was horrible
Old 03-02-2006, 09:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBanks147
her voice has a great range,
Sorry guys, I'm working a show tonight(hip-hop...somebody shoot me!!!!). I'm on my little dinner break now.

Tom, you don't know (edit edit-fear of Nazi censors) from a (edit) in the ground, when it comes to singing. Anybody who DOESN'T know anything about music can tell the Stevy has a miniscule singing range these days. Blah blah blah blah, up and down, singing the same four notes, over and over. LAME-O!
Chiffonheads tend to get all caught up in the cult of personality, and can't see her obvious limitations. Christine has three(or more) times the singing range of Old What's Her Name. Even Lindsey used to.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
Sorry guys, I'm working a show tonight(hip-hop...somebody shoot me!!!!). I'm on my little dinner break now.

Tom, you don't know (edit edit-fear of Nazi censors) from a (edit) in the ground, when it comes to singing. Anybody who DOESN'T know anything about music can tell the Stevy has a miniscule singing range these days. Blah blah blah blah, up and down, singing the same four notes, over and over. LAME-O!
Chiffonheads tend to get all caught up in the cult of personality, and can't see her obvious limitations. Christine has three(or more) times the singing range of Old What's Her Name. Even Lindsey used to.
I love all three of the singers in the Rumours lineup, for very different reasons, so, (please!) think of me as having an allegiance. It isn't clear to me whether or not some of you are comparing range now, or way-back-when. I think now it would be hard to argue that Stevie has the gretest range, although in some ways, she seems to have more control than before (Steve Real & other factors) but I am not convinced that Christine surpassed Stevie in the scope of her range before. Lindsey may have. It would be nice to see some specific examples (using songs) to illustrate your impression of the range of each of the singers, in order to compare.

You know, if you feel like it.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragandbone
I love all three of the singers in the Rumours lineup, for very different reasons, so, (please!) think of me as having an allegiance. It isn't clear to me whether or not some of you are comparing range now, or way-back-when. I think now it would be hard to argue that Stevie has the gretest range, although in some ways, she seems to have more control than before (Steve Real & other factors) but I am not convinced that Christine surpassed Stevie in the scope of her range before. Lindsey may have. It would be nice to see some specific examples (using songs) to illustrate your impression of the range of each of the singers, in order to compare.
On "You Make Loving Fun," Chris sings from low F to high C, which is ... what? a 12th? (it's an octave + a perfect 5th) That's pretty dang good, wide range. But Chris has always had a good strong alto, & in the late 1970s, she says her soprano range began to lengthen.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Okay, I never go over into Stevyland, but you people aren't posting enough stuff to occupy my mind, so look what I found:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8duE9...on%20Melbourne

I wonder if she's fantasizing about the "King"?
Check out those crossed eyes!
I LOVE whoever created this!
Old 03-03-2006, 11:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
On "You Make Loving Fun," Chris sings from low F to high C, which is ... what? a 12th? (it's an octave + a perfect 5th) That's pretty dang good, wide range. But Chris has always had a good strong alto, & in the late 1970s, she says her soprano range began to lengthen.
That's funny, when I walked away from the computer, "You Make Loving Fun" was the song I came up with to try to think of Chris' range, and then "Say You Love Me" The thing is, if we were talking about Kate Bush, or Tori Amos, they both show off their range all in one song
I think for Stevie, I was thinking "Beautiful Child" might be an example, or "Crystal" those of you with pianos or guitar nearby, the sheet music, or those who are able to sight-sing might be able to check the range in that song. I have many years of voice training, but unfortunately, I am terrible at reading music or pulling notes out of the air.

For Lindsey highest and lowest, I think I would look at "Blue Letter" or "Tusk" and then his highs on "I'm So Afraid". Oh and of course, he did "Crystal" too. ;^)

I want to say something about Christine's voice, in comparison with Stevie's that I have been meaning to bring up for a while. Chris' voice really reminds me of the tradition of Sean Nos singing in Ireland, and British traditional singing, which regained popularity in the 60's. That singing does not employ vibrato, but uses vocal ornament to convey emotion. The focused tone, without vibrato is what I like best about Chris voice.

Stevie's voice, of course has that famous extreme vibrato, which you often hear from American folksingers of the 50's and 60's. It is really very different from Chris' voice, whether or not you think one of them has a better instrument.

**About David's chart, I just assumed that each of the levels would have their own top and bottom, but it would be silly to break them up further. That means you can decide Stevie and Chris are farther apart in ability than just one category name allows. When I practised Yoga, I kept to the beginning/intermediate, even after I had far surpassed the people who were trying it for the first time. People who had been practicing for years, and were teaching, were still in Intermediate as well.

Last edited by ragandbone; 03-03-2006 at 01:20 PM..
Old 03-03-2006, 11:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Okay, I never go over into Stevyland, but you people aren't posting enough stuff to occupy my mind, so look what I found:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8duE9...on%20Melbourne

I wonder if she's fantasizing about the "King"?
Check out those crossed eyes!
I LOVE whoever created this!
It's the Ledgie "Where's Me Lucky Charms" (don't know her name) and I have never loved her work so much before. Genius I say!
Old 03-03-2006, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Here is where they are all located on the ranking:

Level 1: Stevie Nicks
Level 2: Christine McVie, Tony Banks, Tori Amos, Nina Simone, Betty Carter
Level 3: Rick Wakeman, Keith Emerson, Steve Winwood
Level 4: Cecile Ousset, Oscar Peterson, Keith Jarrett
Level 5: Svjatoslav Richter, Emil Gilels, Wilhelm Kempff
Freaks: Maurizio Pollini, Glenn Gould

I don't know who Lyle Mays is.
what about Enrico Polatzzo from Naked Gun?
Old 03-03-2006, 12:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That's funny, when I walked away from the computer, "You Make Loving Fun" was the song I came up with to try to think of Chris' range, and then "Say You Love Me" The thing is, if we were talking about Kate Bush, or Tori Amos, they both show off their range all in one song
I think for Stevie, I was thinking "Beautiful Child" might be an example, or "Crystal" those of you with pianos or guitar nearby, the sheet music, or those who are able to sight-sing might be able to check the range in that song. I have many years of voice training, but unfortunately, I am terrible at reading music or pulling notes out of the air.
It takes me a few seconds to do a song, but the piano is over there & I'm over here & ... well ... Homer, go figure it out! (He'll do it)

Edit: Beautiful Child is an octave range for the lead vocalist.
Quote:
I want to say something about Christine's voice, in comparison with Stevie's that I have been meaning to bring up for a while. Chris' voice really reminds me of the tradition of Sean Nos singing in Ireland, and British traditional singing, which regained popularity in the 60's. That singing dies not employ vibrato, but uses vocal ornament to convey emotion. The focused tone, without vibrato is what I like best about Chris voice.
Excellent description! It's fun to have you on the ledge, eliza, is all I can say.
Quote:
**About David's chart, I just assumed that each of the levels would have their own top and bottom, but it would be silly to break them up further. That means you can decide Stevie and Chris are farther apart in ability than just one category name allows. When I practised Yoga, I kept to the beginning/intermediate, even after I had far surpassed the people who were trying it for the first time.
When I do my yoga, I trigger a migraine!
Quote:
People who had been practicing for years, and were teaching, were still in Intermediate as well.
Absolutely. It's that "intermediate" label that confuses all of us because it can be interpreted so widely. So when I say Christine is an "intermediate" piano player, the Chris fans got pretty upset with that; but once I fixed the definition (just for the time being) of my conception of "intermediate" & set Chris up in a hierarchy, it made sense.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Chiffonheads tend to get all caught up in the cult of personality, and can't see her obvious limitations.

Obviously you're generalizing again. See the thing is we know all about her limitations, it's just that they're discussed ad nauseum so who gives a rat's ass anymore?

I think back in the day Stevie and Chris both had some great range. Since they've gotten older, their voices have lost a lot of that range and have become deeper and huskier. I think Stevie's range and vocal ability on B/N was phenomenal. Just listen to Races are Run and Frozen Love...she bends and twists that voice 8 ways to Sunday. That record, imo, really showcases her amazing vocal ability.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffdweller
Obviously you're generalizing again. See the thing is we know all about her limitations, it's just that they're discussed ad nauseum so who gives a rat's ass anymore?

I think back in the day Stevie and Chris both had some great range.
I've NEVER said she didn't USED to have great range! She was never a proper singer, and damaged her vocal cords frequently. She then learned how to play it safe, staying in her little four note box, and has stayed there for the last 15 years.
Borrrrrrrrrinnnnnngggggggggg
Old 03-03-2006, 01:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
When I do my yoga, I trigger a migraine!
Absolutely. It's that "intermediate" label that confuses all of us because it can be interpreted so widely. So when I say Christine is an "intermediate" piano player, the Chris fans got pretty upset with that; but once I fixed the definition (just for the time being) of my conception of "intermediate" & set Chris up in a hierarchy, it made sense.
That is really too bad! I found that Yoga helped my migraines because it helped me to improve my poor circulation. Of course, I would never take a class with a migraine coming on. Accupressure works a little, putting my feet in warm water helps a little, caffeine works a little, and if all else fails, I take Imitrex. Migraines are a terrible affliction!

Now that you have quoted me:
Quote:
That singing dies not employ vibrato,
my typo lives forever! The more I use a keyboard, the worse my typos get. For instance, I have been considering renmaing myself "Elzia" since that is the way I type it every time.
Old 03-04-2006, 06:18 PM

Quote:
That is really too bad! I found that Yoga helped my migraines because it helped me to improve my poor circulation. Of course, I would never take a class with a migraine coming on. Accupressure works a little, putting my feet in warm water helps a little, caffeine works a little, and if all else fails, I take Imitrex. Migraines are a terrible affliction!

Now that you have quoted me:
my typo lives forever! The more I use a keyboard, the worse my typos get. For instance, I have been considering renmaing myself "Elzia" since that is the way I type it every time.

i like u!
Old 03-05-2006, 12:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr
i like u!
Quote:
Excellent description! It's fun to have you on the ledge, eliza, is all I can say.
Awww
I had a really crummy day, but comments from the two of you made me feel great, and I must employ smilies.
Thanks!
~Elzia, I mean...
Old 03-06-2006, 01:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr
i'm asking this honestly.. does stevie even play the piano.. or just pound chords...??? i've heard her play rhiannon and it was horrible
She plays. Fans describe her style as "pounding," but that really isn't the essence of her style (if she can be said to have a keyboard style). I would say the essence of her style is in repetitive figuration of identical motivic units (a sort of reversed Alberti bass in the right hand), with droning & often inappropriate pedal-point bass & virtually no dynamic coloring or expressiveness & no development to speak of -- almost like an ostinato technique, only totally without polyphonic or rhythmic exploration, let alone variation in tempi.

In short, Stevie's playing is bad.

moviekinks.blogspot.com