The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Lindsey Buckingham is a record producer who happens to be a more than competent guitarist. Rick Vito is a guitar player through & through.

Apples & oranges.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Lindsey Buckingham is a record producer who happens to be a more than competent guitarist. Rick Vito is a guitar player through & through.

Apples & oranges.
apples and oranges squashed to pulp, I'd say. couldn't disagree more, Steve. But hey! let's keep it there.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think if you are technically proficient and can play with emotion (as both Vito and LB can) then it comes down, perhaps to songwriting ability I think. Certainly there are many acomplished players. Our own Seteca I personally believe plays NGBA even better than LB.

Of course, you have to think the choice of notes before you play them. What comes out is a combination of what you are thinking, the tone you are using and the emotions you are feeling at the time (e.g. how you bend, strike a particular note, which can change every single time)..

All this can only be done within the confines of the particular song however. It has to "fit".. So its the vision of the songwriter that ultimately dictates who is "better" if you want to term it like that.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Maybe 150.000 people can play NGBA better. It says nothing at all. You have to be the first. When I hear Vito, I never think he was the first to play what he plays. Even in his own songs. Still, a very gifted guitarplayer. His tone and feel are fantastic. But on idiosyncrasy, style and level of the role the playing has in the songwriting, LB is unbeatable.

Am I letting me drag in the same **** as before with/against the same people as before?

Old 09-18-2007, 12:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Whew, the methane is building up in here...somebody get the can of Glade. Just don't light a match.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
Maybe 150,000 people can play NGBA better. It says nothing at all. You have to be the first.
Thats my point Gerald...

Quote:
Am I letting me drag in the same **** as before with/against the same people as before?
In a word, Yes..
Old 09-18-2007, 06:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Whew, the methane is building up in here...somebody get the can of Glade. Just don't light a match.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by madformac View Post
Thats my point Gerald...

I know. But it was a step up to the sentence that followed. You quoted the wrong one to respond to.

But maybe it's better this way.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I know. But it was a step up to the sentence that followed. You quoted the wrong one to respond to.

But maybe it's better this way.
Well to quote the other bit, LB is not unbeatable on songwriting. He is a better songwriter than Vito or Burnette or any other member of this group (apart from Peter Green & Chris McVie obviously). From the point of song structure, arrangement and melody, not sure on lyrics though, some of them seem very much something you would find on a school essay. I've always thought he struggled lyrically.

Anyway, in terms of unbeatable? I doubt it.

LB's strength is as a "package deal" as he might say. Arranger, guitarist, singer, writer etc etc. He is very gifted in many areas.

I saw Prince last week and gotta say he is right up there at the top, in terms of the complete package. You may not like his music but I can't think of anybody in the business with a command of more talents then he has.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
and recruited Martha Davis
Total Control with a rolling John McVie bass line. I like it.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

According to the dream I had recently, the line-up will be Mick, John, Chrisitine, Stevie AND Bekka, Billy and a tall blonde man with crooked teeth.

Could be Harry Vanda of The Easybeats/Vanda & Young/Flash & The Pan. Maybe Danny comes good.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Our own Seteca I personally believe plays NGBA even better than LB.
What ever happened to that guy? He didn't talk very much, he was very shy, but he found himself a band & just started rockin' & soon he came out of his shell.

Quote:
Of course, you have to think the choice of notes before you play them. What comes out is a combination of what you are thinking, the tone you are using and the emotions you are feeling at the time (e.g. how you bend, strike a particular note, which can change every single time).
Sometimes I play something like the Brahms piano intermezzo Op. 118 No. 2 without any emotion at all. I just play it robotically & it comes out pretty cool!

Quote:
So its the vision of the songwriter that ultimately dictates who is "better" if you want to term it like that.
Better. Worse. More than. Less than. Equal to. Apart from. Up & over. Over & out.
What ever happened to mac fan ken, who used to speak in similar absolutes/comparatives/superlatives?
Old 09-19-2007, 12:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
What ever happened to that guy? He didn't talk very much, he was very shy, but he found himself a band & just started rockin' & soon he came out of his shell.
He is fine David. Doing very well in his chosen field and really too busy to post these days. I spent a few days with him in London last week and he is just as passionate about the music.
Old 09-22-2007, 06:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
He is fine David. Doing very well in his chosen field and really too busy to post these days. I spent a few days with him in London last week and he is just as passionate about the music.
which chosen field?

Old 09-23-2007, 07:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
which chosen field?
Not sure he would want me to say. But its a very well respected trade indeed.