User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:25 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by He's So Unusual View Post
In terms of the main UK single and album chart country music has never been very popular in the UK. The majority of the big country music stars in the US have either never charted in the UK or have only charted a few albums in their entire careers. Come on Over by Shania Twain was big in the UK back in the late 1990s/early 2000s but only because many of the singles taken from it were remixed to give them a more pop sound. Dolly Parton can sell out big venues in the UK because she's a legend who has been in the business for decades, but her most successful albums have been compilation albums as opposed to studio albums which have mostly charted low or not at all. The record buying public in the UK just haven't taken to country music like the US and Australia have. If you were to go up to the average person on the street in the UK and ask them who Kenny Chesney is, they'd probably look at you in utter bewilderment, same goes for Reba McEntire.

I have a flat in London and spend 4-8 weeks a year there
Old 10-01-2014, 07:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by olive View Post
I have a flat in London and spend 4-8 weeks a year there
i'll move in with you for the week then ...
this would be a pretty big deal if they actually went ahead and did it.
i'd go.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:35 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by He's So Unusual View Post
In terms of the main UK single and album chart country music has never been very popular in the UK. The majority of the big country music stars in the US have either never charted in the UK or have only charted a few albums in their entire careers. Come on Over by Shania Twain was big in the UK back in the late 1990s/early 2000s but only because many of the singles taken from it were remixed to give them a more pop sound. Dolly Parton can sell out big venues in the UK because she's a legend who has been in the business for decades, but her most successful albums have been compilation albums as opposed to studio albums which have mostly charted low or not at all. The record buying public in the UK just haven't taken to country music like the US and Australia have. If you were to go up to the average person on the street in the UK and ask them who Kenny Chesney is, they'd probably look at you in utter bewilderment, same goes for Reba McEntire.
Yeah, exactly. It has niche appeal, certainly, and I'm sure if you asked the right people, they'd know their country music stuff, but in general only the acts which have managed to crossover into pop have become household names.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I was going to add this to my previous post, but I'll post it separately.

There are country music stations in the UK that cater to that audience, there are also presenters like Bob Harris on BBC Radio 2 who play country music, but it's not played all that much on the main UK radio stations that the average person listens to.

Taylor Swift's recent material has been far more successful in the UK than her earlier albums but even when her music was deemed country it was always country-lite. LeAnn Rimes had a big hit with How Do I Live in the 1990s, but it's more of a pop song than a country song. Her other big hits in the UK are pop songs like Can't Fight the Moonlight, I Need You and Life Goes On. Faith Hill has had a few hits in the UK, but This Kiss, Breathe and The Way You Love Me were remixed while There You'll Be, her biggest hit, is strictly pop. Then there's the awful novelty country style hits from the likes of The Woolpackers and Rednex.

Dolly Parton has only had two top 10 hits in the UK - Jolene and Islands in the Stream but she's still a household name because of her larger than life personality and many appearances on chat shows over the years. Willie Nelson has only had two charting singles and one album in the UK in his entire career. Martina McBride and Alan Jackson have had a few albums that have charted in the UK, albeit very low, but they've never had a charting single.

I can only take country music is very small doses because I find a lot of it, or least the big acts like Garth Brooks, to be awful. All of this patriotic "God bless America. The greatest country in the world! Yeehaw!" is vomit inducing. Plus the lyrics are often embarrassingly cliche and cheesy and the artwork hilariously awful.

In short: Most of the country hits that have charted in the UK over the years have been remixed or are only borderline country to begin with.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

For anyone interested there's a really interesting discussion on the Fleetwood Mac thread of the eFestivals website;

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/t...wood-mac-2015/

Its interesting to hear both fans and non-fans discussing Fleetwood Mac together.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:28 AM
Ledgie

For those not in the UK, I can't underestimate how big (both literally and figuratively speaking!) Glastonbury is!
It's 180,000 people, with over 100 stages and tents, not just music, but comedy, theatre, arts, markets, all sorts of stuff.
It's a huge coup for anyone to play (just look at how hard Metallica pestered to headline).
PR wise, it's massive for the band, it gets so much coverage on the BBC and in the european press.

Tactically, if the band want to increase their fan base even further over here, it's a gig they should do. As headliners, they get given 2-2.5 hours, plenty of time to do the same show they've been touring.

Also, the crowd at Glastonbury is amazing. Such a mix of people, all ages, coming together for 5 days. I can't recommend it enough, it's the best music event I have ever been to, and I'm hoping 2015 with the Mac will be my 5th.

Seeing them on that iconic stage, to over 80,000 people (headline acts get anywhere from about 70-100k) would be the icing on the cake!
Old 10-02-2014, 04:37 PM
Senior Ledgie

http://www.theguardian.com/music/201...-in-14-minutes

Bookies set to suspend betting according to my friend at Ladbrokes - will be more shocked if they don't play.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm waiting for Sunday so I can get my glastonbury tickets. I hope I get one because I'll be really gutted if I miss them next year.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:19 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by James89 View Post
I'm waiting for Sunday so I can get my glastonbury tickets. I hope I get one because I'll be really gutted if I miss them next year.
Best of luck mate
Old 10-05-2014, 02:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[FM would most likely be on Sunday] North Devon Journal

http://www.northdevonjournal.co.uk/G...ail/story.html

Glastonbury 2015: improve your chances of getting a ticket

By NDJFran | Posted: October 04, 2014

GLASTONBURY lovers will have another chance at getting their hands on tickets to one of the world's best-loved festivals.

Tickets for Glastonbury 2015 will go on sale tomorrow morning at 9am and you must have registered to be able to buy one.

The £220 tickets are expected to sell-out within hours but users can pay a deposit of just £50 in October and the total balance in April, 2015.

Many people will be left disappointed, but there are ways of maximizing your chances of getting one.

Be on time

As mentioned, the tickets go on sale at 9am, so make sure you're out of bed on time.

Be prepared

If you've done this before (or even if you haven't) you'll know the key things you need, so make sure you have them beside you by 9am. You'll need your registration details and bank card.

Try and try again

Admittedly, the tickets sell out fast. But just because you haven't had success in the first 10 minutes doesn't mean you should give up.

Be kind to your computer

You won't benefit from having hundreds of tabs open - you'll only slow down your computer.

And don't keep refreshing the page. If it doesn't load, go back and give it another go from there.

Help out your mates

You can buy up to six tickets in one go, so get your mates' registration details as well to make sure you all get tickets.

And remember...there is a re-sale in spring, so don't be too disheartened if you're not lucky this time round.

Next year marks the 45th anniversary of the festival and bookies are already taking odds on the headliners. Fleetwood Mac are favourites to headline the Pyramid Stage on the Sunday night, closing the festival, while last year’s favourites Prince (12/1) and Oasis (10/1) are back amongst the rumour mill.

“The rumours suggest Fleetwood Mac are the most likely act to headline on the Sunday and the betting indicates those whispers might just be on the money,” said William Hill spokesman Jon Ivan-Duke.

William Hill have also got prices for how fast the tickets will sell out, and it’s odds-on that all tickets are gone within an hour.

The line-up will not be announced by organisers until spring next year for the festival which will run from Wednesday, June 24 to Sunday, June 28.

Read more: http://www.northdevonjournal.co.uk/G...#ixzz3FIgNGImx
Follow us: @NDJournal on Twitter | NDJournal on Facebook
Read more at http://www.northdevonjournal.co.uk/G...IkrVtIYYqjw.99
Old 10-06-2014, 10:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Posted in music on October 5, 2014, Brooklyn Vegan

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archive...nbury_sol.html

Glastonbury sold out in 25 minutes

Standard tickets for next year's Festival sold out in just 25 minutes this morning (a new record). All 135,000 tickets for Glastonbury 2015 have now been sold - including the 15,000 coach + ticket packages sold on Wednesday night. Our heartfelt thanks to everyone who's bought a ticket.

We're humbled by the incredible numbers of people who would like to come to the Festival - and it's clear that demand once again outstripped supply this year. We're sorry that some of you have missed out, but there will be a resale of returned tickets in the spring (and your registration remains valid for future years).

Thank you all for your never-ending support for our Festival. [Glastonbury]
The lineup will eventually be announced, but rumored bands include "Queen" and Fleetwood Mac (who are out on the road performing with Christine McVie back in the band).

---
Old 10-06-2014, 12:14 PM
Ledgie

Managed to get a ticket - my 5th Glastonbury!
If FM get confirmed, it'll be amazing - put simply, if it doesn't happen, it never will - they're primed to headline!
Old 10-06-2014, 07:00 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
Managed to get a ticket - my 5th Glastonbury!
If FM get confirmed, it'll be amazing - put simply, if it doesn't happen, it never will - they're primed to headline!
Well done!!

If it is FM, AC/DC and Prince as headliners it'll be amazing!
Old 10-09-2014, 01:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

When is the Glastonbury Festival?
Old 10-09-2014, 02:07 PM
Senior Ledgie

http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.u...ation/tickets/

Starting at june 24 and ending at june 28.