The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-23-2023, 12:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well I’m not speculating on a 40 date North American tour.
The reunion will be short - a few sporadic dates.

And John “sold all his gear”. Is there no money to buy John a bass guitar and some “new gear” and let him sit in the corner and play it? Nope, he sold his gear and there’s not another bass to be found.

Heck - with the new technological sound systems for concerts — no one technically has to play anything. 6-10 dates, wheel them onstage with some backing tracks and call it a day. It’s not even about playing. It’s a way to close the book and say a proper goodbye.

When the Say You Will lineup reunites for a few concerts, it won’t even be a surprise. This band is so predictable . I can hear the speeches now.
Old 09-23-2023, 12:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secret love View Post
The bigger issue is Stevie. Damn straight.

Wonder what Lindsey did at MusiCares that was so bad. Honestly, I reckon Stevie and Lindsey just never ever stopped hating each other's guts since 1977 and after 50 years, she and he didn't want to work together - and Stevie was the one with the power so she got to stay.
MusiCares was just climax of something that had been building for a while. The tour negotiations sound like they were brutal and the animosity between Stevie and Lindsey became especially ugly.

Since Christine left us, I’ve decided I’m kind of done with Stevie and Lindsey. Their inability to be professional with each other coupled with Irving’s greed killed off what was an amazing band. I wish they both would have left after “Tusk” and Mick, John, and Christine carry on without them. I guess I could also be mad at them for not collectively demanding they get their $h!t together and commit to the band or leave, but arena money and adulation is a helluva drug, I guess.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 09-23-2023, 06:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secret love View Post
Honestly, I reckon Stevie and Lindsey just never ever stopped hating each other's guts since 1977 and after 50 years, she and he didn't want to work together - and Stevie was the one with the power so she got to stay.
I don’t think they’ve hated each other straight through at all. Some folks have said Stevie’s always wanted Lindsey out of FM, but we know that’s not true because of her reaction when Lindsey told them he was done after Tango came out. And years after that, she asked him to record Twisted with her. And he asked her to appear on his Soundstage special. I think they’ve gone through spurts where they’ve liked each other, loved each other, hated each other, and tolerated each other. And Lindsey doesn’t seem to hate Stevie now, which says a lot about him as a person.
Old 09-23-2023, 06:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
Well I’m not speculating on a 40 date North American tour.
The reunion will be short - a few sporadic dates.

And John “sold all his gear”. Is there no money to buy John a bass guitar and some “new gear” and let him sit in the corner and play it? Nope, he sold his gear and there’s not another bass to be found.

Heck - with the new technological sound systems for concerts — no one technically has to play anything. 6-10 dates, wheel them onstage with some backing tracks and call it a day. It’s not even about playing.
I know, I’m surprised people are saying there’s no way John would join for a few dates because he sold his gear. Like you said, if it was a 6 week tour or less, I think he would do it, but the longer it takes, the less likely it will happen. One thing FM did on their last tour that I thought was smart of them, considering their ages, was spread the dates out so they performed something like 3 days a week, giving them time to recover. A six week tour with 20 dates seems realistic. And I would definitely see them perform one last time.

I also think if they did tour but John declined to join them, that he wouldn’t try to stop them by refusing to let them tour under the name Fleetwood Mac. John doesn’t strike me as that petty a guy.
Old 09-23-2023, 07:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I propose an hour of John and Mick phoning in the rhythm part to Tusk while Stevie and Lindsey chase each other around the stage hurling objects at each other. Get Laurie Anderson in to direct.
Old 09-23-2023, 09:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Heck - with the new technological sound systems for concerts — no one technically has to play anything. 6-10 dates, wheel them onstage with some backing tracks and call it a day. It’s not even about playing. It’s a way to close the book and say a proper goodbye.
John selling all his gear is beyond money; I think it means he closed his book.
And about the proper goodbye, mmmm it must have been with Christine few years ago. I think it’s too late now. My opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I don’t think they’ve hated each other straight through at all. Some folks have said Stevie’s always wanted Lindsey out of FM, but we know that’s not true because of her reaction when Lindsey told them he was done after Tango came out. And years after that, she asked him to record Twisted with her. And he asked her to appear on his Soundstage special.
I agree. Mick said in his book about the Tango sessions The love-hate saga between those two will never end. But I think hate is an expression, the real feeling I guess is anger. An intermittent anger.
Old 09-23-2023, 10:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I thought John not doing the Peter Green tribute show said it all with respect to his desire to travel around in a touring capacity.
Old 09-23-2023, 11:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I don’t think they will tour, I certainly wouldn’t want them to tour.
They are too old..full stop.

But I would like one last concert with the remaining four on stage.
Just to say goodbye and embrace what a fabulous group they once were.
And I think they had better do it quick.
Old 09-23-2023, 11:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
I thought John not doing the Peter Green tribute show said it all with respect to his desire to travel around in a touring capacity.
I think that said more about his feelings for Peter Green than his feelings about touring.

Also, John would have had to pay for his own travel for that tribute. For a FM tour, traveling would be arranged for him. It’s not that I think he’s cheap, I just suspect he didn’t have any desire to pay tribute to Peter.
Old 09-23-2023, 11:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think that said more about his feelings for Peter Green than his feelings about touring.

Also, John would have had to pay for his own travel for that tribute. For a FM tour, traveling would be arranged for him. It’s not that I think he’s cheap, I just suspect he didn’t have any desire to pay tribute to Peter.
Peter also decided not to attend the concert played in his honor.
Old 09-23-2023, 12:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Paul Simon was on Howard Stern this week and it was a fantastic interview. He said something that really applies to Fleetwood Mac. He was discussing when Simon and Garfunkel were breaking up. The record company was furious because they were the biggest sellers of albums worldwide. Paul said all duos break up. But then Howard pointed out when the breakups happen i.e. The Eagles, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards they always get back together.
Paul said they get back together NOT for the music but for the business. There is a huge difference. Besides Buck/Vie all Fleetwood Mac tours were not about the music but about the business of Fleetwood Mac. This is why I have always said there will be some sort of short lived official Farewell Tour. Mick will always need money and the Fleetwood Mac business may have one last gasp. Its why so many of us on this board are always frustrated at these tours. They are not about the music. We at the ledge are about the music.
And before everyone agrees, let me shame you SYW haters. Post Dance Irving was making groups money making touring machines. Lindsey wanted to make an album that some say went too far in his direction. Yet it gets flamed when one of the few times it was about the music. Yet the audience did not respond which only reinforced the band to be only about business.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 09-23-2023 at 12:14 PM..
Old 09-23-2023, 12:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I just suspect he didn’t have any desire to pay tribute to Peter.
..Reasons?
Old 09-23-2023, 02:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
This is why I have always said there will be some sort of short lived official Farewell Tour. Mick will always need money and the Fleetwood Mac business may have one last gasp. .
Exactly.
I’m not even sure why this is a discussion. The fact that the remaining members of Fleetwood Mac will reunite for a very short series of farewell dates is a no brainer. This band is predictable.
Old 09-23-2023, 03:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
..Reasons?
I don’t know any behind the scenes stuff. My comment was just meant to say there’s a big difference between ‘retiring’ and not touring anymore, versus not performing one time at a tribute show for someone who used to be in your band. I definitely didn’t mean to suggest there might have been animosity or anything like that between John and Peter, but John clearly didn’t want to fly (or sail LOL) to another country to perform at the tribute. I mean, who knows when the last time was he saw Peter, so I appreciate that it might not been important enough for him to go to it.
Old 09-23-2023, 04:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Exactly.
I’m not even sure why this is a discussion. The fact that the remaining members of Fleetwood Mac will reunite for a very short series of farewell dates is a no brainer. This band is predictable.
Christine is DEAD, and John is most likely done.

FAREWELL done FAREWELLED, by default.