User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
The live Rhiannon is a million times better than the track they picked for the FM Live album released in 1980 but at the same time nowhere near as great as my top 3 Rhiannon's from the Tusk Tour that were performed in May and June, 1980 in Chicago, London and Rotterdam.

The Rhiannon ROCKS! I'd love to hear these "even better" versions, do you know if they are available to download anywhere Viv?

These live versions sure are a treat, and the whole set sounds perfect. At this point, my only gripe is not getting a previously unreleased "Sisters" demo/outtake or some unreleased Stevie songs.
Old 12-07-2015, 01:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevierocks87 View Post
The Rhiannon ROCKS! I'd love to hear these "even better" versions, do you know if they are available to download anywhere Viv?
I got them last century in the bootleg circles. I hope to someday transfer them from the cassettes they are on, to CD's. The versions I have heard online from other people over the years are not as great of quality as my cassettes.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I got them last century in the bootleg circles. I hope to someday transfer them from the cassettes they are on, to CD's. The versions I have heard online from other people over the years are not as great of quality as my cassettes.

I got the vinyl set here which is mint condition..I'm afraid to touch them.LOL.
I agree.The YT versions sound crappy.Some YTers have no knowledge on the right way of doing it and using low quality equipment to transfering to digital.

One thing that drives me nuts is when YT users post videos with one sided audio on their channel.Its a simple fix by hooking up a Y connector to the line in on the output mono source to make both sound channels play.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 12-08-2015, 02:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation Some people...

Quote:
have high quality (ie professionally recorded board tapes) cassettes that they will not share in the trading circles - and most of the live material on this release were from those shows (specifically the Wembley shows in 1980)

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 12-08-2015, 12:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wasn't there an alleged guy who literally fell off the face of the earth to Australia...who was rumored to have a substantial stash of uncirculated board tapes?
Old 12-08-2015, 01:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

GAH!!! I can't wait! You guys are killin' me with all these reviews! (So maybe I should stop reading this thread. LOL ) I have to wait til Christmas to hear all of this, and want to hear it for the first time in pristine quality, and not streaming or YouTube.
Old 12-08-2015, 01:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I might have some of these on my computer. Let me look and see what I have.
Here is Mobile 1980 SBD whole show:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/tn...obile_1980.zip
Also I've only been able to listen in bits and pieces so far. The live version of The Chain is blistering.

Last edited by gldstwmn; 12-08-2015 at 02:17 PM..
Old 12-08-2015, 02:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
GAH!!! I can't wait! You guys are killin' me with all these reviews! (So maybe I should stop reading this thread. LOL ) I have to wait til Christmas to hear all of this, and want to hear it for the first time in pristine quality, and not streaming or YouTube.
You and me both, sir.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 12-08-2015, 02:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
Wasn't there an alleged guy who literally fell off the face of the earth to Australia...who was rumored to have a substantial stash of uncirculated board tapes?
Yes. Fortunately some of them did get circulated. I'm pretty sure an upgrade of the Chicago 80's show came from... somewhere. That's a good show and well worth checking out.
Meanwhile back to the subject at hand, these live versions are great. Stevie sings falsetto on Dreams and Christine even sings falsetto on Over and Over. I wish I had more to say but it's going to take me a while to get through all five discs.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Mine arrived this morning at 8am and I happen to be off from work today. I'm currently blasting "The Alternative Tusk". The packaging is amazing!. Storms is now playing.....WOW. I have been waiting for this kind of treatment of my favorite album for a long time. The only thing missing is the documentary that was released in 1980.
Old 12-09-2015, 05:04 PM
Junior Ledgie

Default First post ever

I just joined up here after searching for reviews of Tusk Expanded and being directed here. Lots of interesting posts, so I figured that I'd sign on. By way of full disclosure, my life philosophy begins with the assumption that Lindsey Buckingham hung the moon. That said, here are a few thoughts from my take on the new Tusk:

For me, the obvious stunner is "Brown Eyes". What were FM possibly thinking when they chose to release the non Peter Green version? The guitar playing is so riveting that, after hearing this one, the original release seems to miss the main point of the song. Amazing stuff.

The other "wow" moment is the demo track of "I Know I'm Not Wrong". There's a hypnotic quality to the strummed acoustic guitars that seems (to me, anyway) to foreshadow some of what Lindsey is doing these days. It also recalls some of the Eno/Lou Reed influenced alt-rock bands that were emerging at the time, notably The Feelies. This is one of my all-time favorite songs and this version just spins it a whole new way.

The biggest missed opportunity IMO is the live set. While the tracks they've included are great stuff, I wish the band had done a one-off show on the recent tour dedicated to this project. A live performance of the entire album by the current crew would have allowed a look at how the songs have evolved over time in live performance - a critical piece of this puzzle, IMO.

Anyway, lots more thoughts, but I'll leave it at that for the first time out. I'm looking forward to visiting with all of you again soon.
Old 12-09-2015, 05:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I also wish there was a little more of "alternative" vocal arrangements on that disc.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:20 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
I might have some of these on my computer. Let me look and see what I have.
Here is Mobile 1980 SBD whole show:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/tn...obile_1980.zip
Also I've only been able to listen in bits and pieces so far. The live version of The Chain is blistering.
Great! Have you any idea when in 1980 this was?
Old 12-09-2015, 06:43 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJK View Post
Great! Have you any idea when in 1980 this was?
The Mobile, AL show is from August 11, 1980.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyk View Post
I just joined up here after searching for reviews of Tusk Expanded and being directed here. Lots of interesting posts, so I figured that I'd sign on. By way of full disclosure, my life philosophy begins with the assumption that Lindsey Buckingham hung the moon.
welcome, glad you decided to jump in!! always great to have someone with that opinion join this board!

btw completely agree with you on Brown Eyes with Peter Green. they must have been completely out of it, drunk and high to not release a version based on that track.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"